• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK, Devon. Coal Tit with Melanism ? (1 Viewer)

digitalbirdy

At a mid Devon nature reserve I was photographing birds at a feeding station and along with Great Tits, Blue Tits and Robins, were lots of Coal Tits and this dark bodies tit?
It behaved in a similar way to the other Coal Tits and was a similar size. Is it a Coal Tit with Melanism or is it a different species?

Attachments

• Adrian-Harris_P1030040_black_tit_landing-multi-composite_1000se.jpg
    Adrian-Harris_P1030040_black_tit_landing-multi-composite_1000se.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 162
I think it's a Coal Tit which has lost a lot of belly feathers...

ps That dark region, I believe, is its actual skin...

Last edited:
Agree, could be the phenomena called 'feather bite' where the feathers have broken off causing the dark grey bases to be exposed.
Whether this is caused by infection of mites, or has been caused by heavy wear because of grinding the plumage against something hard is debatable.

As a taxidermist with more than 35 years of experience I have seen this exclusively on carcasses of hole nesting species such as tits, nuthatches, sparrows and woodpeckers.

Last week, for the first time in my life I spotted a live singing male Great Tit with two large 'feather bitten' areas on both sides of the breast merging with the central black ventral streak to the effect that it looked practically all black underneath.

Peter

Last edited:
Here's another melanistic ''type'' individual, currently and for the last two months, a ''multiple'' daily visitor to the feeders.

Attachments

• P1210160.jpeg  Coal Tit with black patch..jpg
    P1210160.jpeg Coal Tit with black patch..jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 77
Here is another - taken also in January - the ringers reckoned that the outer contour feathers had been lost revealing the black, fluffier insulating feathering underneath

Attachments

• 1461 Coal Tit - odd bird - Barony 01.15j.jpg
    1461 Coal Tit - odd bird - Barony 01.15j.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
Here is another - taken also in January - the ringers reckoned that the outer contour feathers had been lost revealing the black, fluffier insulating feathering underneath

Exactly. Only the feathers aren't really "lost" but rather broken at their bases,

Had they been "lost", they'd surely grow out again pretty soon........

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back