• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies and Damselflies 2023 (1 Viewer)

A White-legged Damselfly was quite a surprise first for my Hinckley, Leics., garden pond today. In the county as a whole, Hairy Dragonflies seem to be spreading more generally from a few traditional spots and Beautiful Demoiselles are also being reported from new locations. I've found them in two new spots myself including one not much more than a mile from my home.

Attachments

• WHITE LEGGED DAMSELFLY JUN 19 2023.jpg
    WHITE LEGGED DAMSELFLY JUN 19 2023.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BEAUTIFUL DEM jun 17.jpg
    BEAUTIFUL DEM jun 17.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 7
A White-legged Damselfly was quite a surprise first for my Hinckley, Leics., garden pond today. In the county as a whole, Hairy Dragonflies seem to be spreading more generally from a few traditional spots and Beautiful Demoiselles are also being reported from new locations. I've found them in two new spots myself including one not much more than a mile from my home.
On Sunday found my first ever local male Beautiful Demoiselle on my regular Sunday morning patch. They are being increasingly seen in some outer parts of the London area- especially along the Wandle in the SW & around the Enfield area in the north. A few years ago a female turned up in my garden-no idea how far she had wandered?

Lots of Common Emerald damsels emerging and/or recently emerged at Ravensroost today. Also the usual decent numbers of Common Blue and Azure, lots of Four-spotted Chasers which were dominating the ponds and a single Emperor hunting around the meadow.
IMG_2462a Common Emerald Damselfly 21 Jun 2023 Ravensroost.jpg

Having ricked my back (lying down to snap insects!) and been away I've lagged behind this year but now mobile again I did manage to add Common Darter (2 tenerals and an ovipositing pair) on a survey on Saturday and then yesterday, 26.06.23, Small Red-eyed Damselfly at the boating lake on Southampton Common (the first sites for the species in Hampshire on 16.08.2004) and Emerald Damselfly - two males - at the Testwood Lakes Centre ponds along with a few more Small Red-eyed and other stuff. A few pics attached - Scarce Chaser and Southern Damselfly from the survey, female Emperor with Small Red-eyed Damselfly from Southampton Common, and Emerald Damselfly and male Emperor from Testwood Lakes.

Attachments

• R10Z_009963.jpg
    R10Z_009963.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 10
  • R10Z_009947.jpg
    R10Z_009947.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 12
  • R10Z_009942.jpg
    R10Z_009942.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 12
  • R10Z_009906.jpg
    R10Z_009906.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 10
  • R10Z_009898.jpg
    R10Z_009898.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 10
That's a really good sighting.

Nearby, on Baddesley Common, a Keeled Skimmer, found by my small army of local dog walking scouts!

(Aeroplane field is the non-grazed field at the village end. There is a large pond installed between there and the village which may be getting mature now. I Last checked in ~2018)
Now back in blighty I checked my records and in 2014 I had Keeled Skimmer records on 2 dates, 09.07 on Emer Bog itself and on 14.07 in the small area in SU388211 where the stream forms a small boggy area.
Every year I tell myself I must visit the site more often and every year I fail :)

I looked yesterday and there were good numbers of Ruddy Darters around the drying out pond area (SU396214) of Emer Bog. Perfect habitat for Lestes dryas or Lestes barbarus should either of them decide to visit south Hampshire!

Attachments

• R10Z_009971-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    R10Z_009971-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Tim.

I’m a novice when it comes to dragonflies.

I wondered if 2 very red darters out on Hayling Lake might have been Red- veined Darters but I guess Common Darter at this time of year far more likely?
If it was May then almost certainly Red-veined Darters (or something rarer) but once you get 10 days into June there will likely be some Common Darters flying so it gets trickier.
Any male Red-veined Darter flying in June will be a deep dark red as opposed to the orangey red of a Common Darter but such differences are not always easy to pick out in bright sunlight or deep gloom (the only two scenarios we seem to get in the UK!)

Hi all, don't suppose anyone knows of recent odonata sightings in Cairngorms? Arriving on Saturday for a week would like to get an idea of what I might be able to see, luck and weather permitting! Thanks in advance

If it was May then almost certainly Red-veined Darters (or something rarer) but once you get 10 days into June there will likely be some Common Darters flying so it gets trickier.
Any male Red-veined Darter flying in June will be a deep dark red as opposed to the orangey red of a Common Darter but such differences are not always easy to pick out in bright sunlight or deep gloom (the only two scenarios we seem to get in the UK!)
Ha, ironically Paul it was 10th June :)-.

I've put them down as Common Darter though both were deep reddish but flitting about some way out (around 50 metres out low over the large pool where I also had Norfolk Hawkers).

Just a couple of things to add..........I mentioned missing the guided dragonfly walk around Beinn Eighe NNR two weeks ago - seems like they too didn't come across any Azure's. I have liaised with the leader of the walk and she puts it down to possible global warming. So if anyone intends to make that pilgrimage trip. might be worth hanging on until next year to see if any rain over Spring.

Secondly, living on the edge of Wolverhampton, so far this summer on my patch I have had lots of Emperor's, a number of Brown Hawkers last week, immature male Broad-Bodied Chaser, lots of Banded Demoiselles and a few beautiful Demoiselles, loads of Large Red-eyed Damselflies, Azure's, Common Blue's - all the common stuff I guess. Within an hours drive into Shropshire I know where White-Faced Darters can be found along with Black Darters, also Golden-ringed and Keeled Skimmers.

I'm so pleased I got into Dragging!

Ha, ironically Paul it was 10th June :)-.

I've put them down as Common Darter though both were deep reddish but flitting about some way out (around 50 metres out low over the large pool where I also had Norfolk Hawkers).

Just a couple of things to add..........I mentioned missing the guided dragonfly walk around Beinn Eighe NNR two weeks ago - seems like they too didn't come across any Azure's. I have liaised with the leader of the walk and she puts it down to possible global warming. So if anyone intends to make that pilgrimage trip. might be worth hanging on until next year to see if any rain over Spring.

Secondly, living on the edge of Wolverhampton, so far this summer on my patch I have had lots of Emperor's, a number of Brown Hawkers last week, immature male Broad-Bodied Chaser, lots of Banded Demoiselles and a few beautiful Demoiselles, loads of Large Red-eyed Damselflies, Azure's, Common Blue's - all the common stuff I guess. Within an hours drive into Shropshire I know where White-Faced Darters can be found along with Black Darters, also Golden-ringed and Keeled Skimmers.

I'm so pleased I got into Dragging!

Coming soon, PaulDWinter's Drag(on) Race....

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back