• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies and Damselflies 2023 (2 Viewers)

Ha, ironically Paul it was 10th June :)-.

I've put them down as Common Darter though both were deep reddish but flitting about some way out (around 50 metres out low over the large pool where I also had Norfolk Hawkers).

Just a couple of things to add..........I mentioned missing the guided dragonfly walk around Beinn Eighe NNR two weeks ago - seems like they too didn't come across any Azure's. I have liaised with the leader of the walk and she puts it down to possible global warming. So if anyone intends to make that pilgrimage trip. might be worth hanging on until next year to see if any rain over Spring.

Secondly, living on the edge of Wolverhampton, so far this summer on my patch I have had lots of Emperor's, a number of Brown Hawkers last week, immature male Broad-Bodied Chaser, lots of Banded Demoiselles and a few beautiful Demoiselles, loads of Large Red-eyed Damselflies, Azure's, Common Blue's - all the common stuff I guess. Within an hours drive into Shropshire I know where White-Faced Darters can be found along with Black Darters, also Golden-ringed and Keeled Skimmers.

I'm so pleased I got into Dragging!
I love it! And many of the finding skills and ID challenge skills learned from birding are transferable. A bit weird though in that it does probably decrease the chance of finding a good bird because your eyes are focussing generally closer. You still hear stuff, but a Black Kite sailing overhead is more likely to do so unclocked if you're scrutinising damselflies 😆.

It's also a really exciting time because the distribution of several species is changing pretty dramatically so every season you really don't know what might turn up, pretty much on any patch!

Nearby, on Baddesley Common, a Keeled Skimmer, found by my small army of local dog walking scouts!

(Aeroplane field is the non-grazed field at the village end. There is a large pond installed between there and the village which may be getting mature now. I Last checked in ~2018)
Still not exactly sure which one is the Aeroplane field - I walk in from Botley Road, then along the narrow footpath between two fields with no access and barbed wire fences either side and then into the next field which is well vegetated and has Bog bush-crickets despite it being dry as a bone. I then head off into the reserve itself, heading west to the stream that runs about 30m alongside the reserve boundary.

Anyway, I went back today and found a/the Keeled Skimmer as the conditions were from time to time sunny. Thanks for the tip-off, Peter.

Attachments

• R10Z_009992.jpg
    R10Z_009992.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 11
I love it! And many of the finding skills and ID challenge skills learned from birding are transferable. A bit weird though in that it does probably decrease the chance of finding a good bird because your eyes are focussing generally closer. You still hear stuff, but a Black Kite sailing overhead is more likely to do so unclocked if you're scrutinising damselflies 😆.

It's also a really exciting time because the distribution of several species is changing pretty dramatically so every season you really don't know what might turn up, pretty much on any patch!
Must admit Larry, my eyes feel drained after watching dragons and damsels darting about, even more so than seawatching.

West to RSPB Strumpshaw Fen yesterday. I got lucky with the weather - hot and humid but with enough cloud cover to make everything except Emperor settle down from time to time. Highlights of the well-known ditch in the meadow were Norfolk Hawker (lots of them) and a few Small Red-eyed damsels. Large numbers of Four-spotted Chasers, singles of ruddy darter, Emperor and Large Red damsel, and a few Brown hawkers which were my first of the year. That ditch is a really superb location. IMG_4181a Norfolk Hawker 8 Jul 2023 Strumpshaw Fen.jpg
IMG_4120b Brown Hawker 8 Jul 2023 Strumpshaw Fen.jpg
IMG_4297a Ruddy Darter 8 Jul 2023 Strumpshaw Fen.jpg

Added Brown Hawker for the year yesterday (18.07) at Lower Test (Hants) but they all went past too fast and too distant for the macro lens. Still a few Southern Damselflies although we're three weeks past the peak now so numbers are reducing.
Of the species I would have expected to see by now I'm missing both White-legged Damselfly and, Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly so a visit to the Ober Water is needed!

Attachments

• R10M_001167.jpg
    R10M_001167.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 6
  • R10M_001157.jpg
    R10M_001157.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 6
Added Brown Hawker for the year yesterday (18.07) at Lower Test (Hants) but they all went past too fast and too distant for the macro lens. Still a few Southern Damselflies although we're three weeks past the peak now so numbers are reducing.
Of the species I would have expected to see by now I'm missing both White-legged Damselfly and, Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly so a visit to the Ober Water is needed!
Plenty of White-legged Damselflies on Ober Water on Tuesday, but despite searching couldn't find any Scarce B-t, only normal B-t. Lots of cattle in the normal seeps.

Plenty of White-legged Damselflies on Ober Water on Tuesday, but despite searching couldn't find any Scarce B-t, only normal B-t. Lots of cattle in the normal seeps.
Thanks, Martin. As the weather is turning I may just go to Dames Slough tomorrow morning for White-legged and wait for the sun to re-appear before searching for Scarce BT!

Eventually caught up with Golden-ringed Dragonfly for the year in the New Forest yesterday (06.08.23). This male's wings hadn't fully formed but he seemed to fly OK. Also obligatory Southern Damselfy and Keeled Skimmer pics. Emperor Dragonfly, Southern, Migrant and Brown Hawkers, Common Darter, Beautiful Demoiselle and Small Red Damselfly also at the site.

Attachments

• R10M_001722.jpg
    R10M_001722.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 11
  • R10M_001712.jpg
    R10M_001712.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 11
  • R10M_001699-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    R10M_001699-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 11
Lesser Emperor at Lower Moor Farm today was a county tick for me. I was getting a bit jealous of people reporting they'd seen egg-laying going on during the week, but I'll settle for my closest-ever view of a patrolling male. Also got Brown Hairstreak at Ravensroost on the way home, and my first Migrant Hawker of the year (which refused to pose for a photo), so a pretty decent day all told.

IMG_6282a Lesser Emperor 11 Aug 2023 Lower Moor Farm.jpg
IMG_6561b Brown Hairstreak 11 Aug 2023 Ravensroost.jpg

Very few damsels left on patch now so I was surprised to see a late Red-eyed Damselfly (I think my latest ever?) among the comparatively few Small Red-eyeds that are still around.

Excited about the news of a Willow Emerald Damselfly not too far from patch (in Yate) yesterday, so surely not long now til they at last get to my patch. That's two sightings I know of in Avon now (both this year).

Very pleased to find Willow Emeralds on one of my local patches at Burbage Common near Hinckley, Leics. The pools on the Common Extension have the necessary Willow trees overhanging them but the vegetation had become so overgrown that the water was hardly visible. The pools had a big clean-up in the autumn last year and immediately the more open water has attracted a good range of odonata. Over the last couple of weeks I've seen at least four Willow Emeralds including 'in-cop' on two or three occasions, so, hopefully, they're here to stay.

Attachments

• WILLLOW EMERALD 2.jpg
    WILLLOW EMERALD 2.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 10
  • WILLOW EMERALD 1.jpg
    WILLOW EMERALD 1.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 10
  • WILLOW EMERALD 3.jpg
    WILLOW EMERALD 3.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 9
  • WILLOW EMERALD 4.jpg
    WILLOW EMERALD 4.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 10
Bit bizarre as haven't really seen many dragonflies for ages but two more in the garden yesterday - Emperor Dragonfly and Common Darter (both assumed - bright green thorax/blue abdomen and smaller brown respectively ... )

Banded Demoiselle in the back garden (Cornwall) briefly today. Presume late but not that much out of the ordinary? Might even be a garden tick.

I had the latest for the UK last year on 9th October - last dates for the UK usually around this but sometimes a little later. Mine was my latest by 29 days !

I had a Migrant Hawker hunting over the meadow-ish bit of Reading westbound motorway services on Sunday. I often see common blue damsels there in high summer but the habitat isn't ideal for hawkers. This one seemed to be using the wall of the Travelodge as if it was the edge of a woodland and hunting up & down the grassy area next to it.

One of my work colleagues was at Cotswold Water Park at the weekend and reported it to be "dragonfly central", but no species IDs!

I had the latest for the UK last year on 9th October - last dates for the UK usually around this but sometimes a little later. Mine was my latest by 29 days !

Wow! Maybe mine was more unusual, but with the temps we've been having ...

One of my work colleagues was at Cotswold Water Park at the weekend and reported it to be "dragonfly central", but no species IDs!

There are some quarry pools a few fields away but we're not really in prime lowland habitat imo here. I can imagine there are still lots out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back