• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK raptor? (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted said:

Most of the people here seem to be ignoring this possibility (see Post#73)- everyone is so caught up with native species.

From a falconry website:

The Harris hawk (also known as the Bay Winged hawk) is easily recognizd from the true buzzards by its longer wings, longer and thinner tail and longer legs

Last edited:
I could buy Harris Hawk. I'm not happy with Sparrowhawk and only a little more comfortable with Buzzard. I wonder if any of the other photographs show the structure a little better and from a more favourable angle?

Capercaillie71 said:
Most of the people here seem to be ignoring this possibility (see Post#73)- everyone is so caught up with native species.

From a falconry website:

The Harris hawk (also known as the Bay Winged hawk) is easily recognizd from the true buzzards by its longer wings, longer and thinner tail and longer legs

I did suggest an escape in post #23 but was not picked up on. Hardly surprising given my recent ID prowess!

I think that having so many people, including some of considerable experience, torn between two very different raptors, we have to look at other possibilities. Harris Hawks are very widely kept and the behaviour also tallies with what might be expected from an escape. Having only seen one Harris Hawk (an adult which fooled many other observers before I pointed out that one was known to be at large) I hesitate to conclude that this is what the subject bird is, but it's looking a very good candidate from all the images I've googled.

My understanding, BTW, is that wing formula is an extremely reliable ID criteria for all raptors and the several photos conclusively rule out an accipiter.

Graham

Comparing the original picture 1 with the left hand image on the Harris Hawk link is very interesting!
Do we have a winner?!

I know nothing about raptor wing formulas, but looking at some of the suggestions so far, my thoughts are as follows:

The wing length in the photo in post#54 looks far too long for an Accipiter, yet the tail length in all the photos looks much longer than you would expect to see in a buzzard. The behaviour of circling around trying to land in a tree above the observer's head sounds very un-harrier-like.

I think Harris Hawk is worth a bet.

In my most grumble opinion - the behaviour noted by the observer ought to be given more prominence. A person and several dogs - 40 feet under a tree and the bird STILL tries to land in same tree???? - Personally never had such luck with native BOP - don't know about you lot - regardless of there being a kill in the tree or not. And I know I went for sprawk, but I'm not any further convinced by any of the following arguments. Possibly an escape, it certainly wasn't put-off by the presence of a person and dogs.

Just found this thread and had a look at the images in photoshop.
Reducing the size for display on the forum has seriously messed up the detail as you can see. Might be possible to get something more out of the original though.

Attachments

• Buzzard is it.bmp
    465.9 KB · Views: 122
timwootton said:
In my most grumble opinion - the behaviour noted by the observer ought to be given more prominence. A person and several dogs - 40 feet under a tree and the bird STILL tries to land in same tree???? - Possibly an escape, it certainly wasn't put-off by the presence of a person and dogs.

What if the bird was building a nest ? Would it stay then ? (Depends when photo was taken too of course)

Tim

Yeah the RTH ticks a few boxes - but bear in mind that if it lived in the UK we'd call it a red tailed buzzard, 'cos it's a buteo too...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back