• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultramarine Kingfisher, Male or Female? (1 Viewer)

Joe H

United States
The photo below was posted to the Opus section, but I was unsure of the sex of this bird. I am hoping someone more familiar with the species, region, or maybe has a better Kingfisher field guide (or better internet skills) can add their insight.

The reason for my confusion is that my field guide's description and illustrations do not match. I'll attach both below. My guess is that the labels for the two drawings of the bird are swapped, and that the text is more likely to be correct, but again, that's just my guess. I'll attach a link to my gallery page which has details about the picture.

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSCF9804.JPG
    DSCF9804.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Ultramarine image.jpg
    Ultramarine image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Ultramarine text.jpg
    Ultramarine text.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 39
Birds of the world online agree with the text you are quoting: Male = white collar and back, female lacking white on the back.
Niels

You’re right, they are switched.

Edit- I’m not from there- how can you tell genders apart when the wings are crossed rather then to the side?

I'm not from there either, only lucky enough to have had work trips there. This was the only picture I had worth saving, the others were blurry or too dark, but this bird had a blue back. If one couldn't see the back of an adult, it would not be possible to tell the sex I don't think.

And thank you to njlarsen for the confirmation !!!!

Last edited:
I'm not from there either, only lucky enough to have had work trips there. This was the only picture I had worth saving, the others were blurry or too dark, but this bird had a blue back. If one couldn't see the back of an adult, it would not be possible to tell the sex I don't think.

And thank you to njlarsen for the confirmation !!!!
I was more referring to the fact that both sexes have a slight patch of white below the nape… If the wings are crossed and the white back is possibly covered (depending on the sex) how can you confidently sex the kingfisher?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back