• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unboxing Opticron’s New Flagship Binoculars: Aurora BGA VHD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Way back in 2018 Pete Gamby was kind enough to submit to an interview, (https://www.birdforum.net/threads/interview-with-opticrons-top-manager.366708/ ) and in the course of this he said, “Price-wise we certainly won’t go above £800 as this region is occupied by Zeiss with their Conquest HD and Leica with their Trinovid HD”. Well, Opticron have launched their new flagship 42mm binocular, the Aurora BGA VHD, priced at £799 and I have an 8x42 on loan. I plan to review this by taking it to the island of Islay, just off the west coast of Scotland and within sight of the north coast of Northern Ireland. When this will happen depends on the easing of Covid lock-down measures in both England and Scotland, but is hopefully only a few weeks away. In the meantime I couldn’t wait to open the box so let’s take a look inside.

Actually, before we look inside I should mention that this Opticron, as befits a flagship model, comes in a smart black carton with an up-market magnetic closure and comes inside a black slip-case. Inside we find the neoprene neck-strap neatly held together, and a tough-looking ‘Cordura’-type case, plus the User’s Guide/Guarantee, a good quality microfibre cloth in a plastic wallet (useful to keep the cloth clean and not gathering detritus that could scratch the lenses) and an enigmatic black envelope with ‘Thank you’ on the outside.

Inside the case, which has a simple closure consisting of a flap with a hole pushing onto a metal stud, we find the Aurora with both rain-guard and objective covers attached. The binocular itself has two different textures to the armour and feels good in the hands. A quick turn of the focus wheel reveals a smooth, medium torque, mechanism, with a central lockable dioptre adjuster and a fiddle with the eyecups reveals they have 4 positions that feel secure.

Naturally I couldn’t resist taking a look outside. I wear spectacles and with the eyecups fully down had some kidney beans but lifting them up one notch got rid of these and I could still see the full field of view. I can say with absolute confidence that these are definitely worth the asking price and I look forward to putting them through their paces on the wild coasts of Islay.

One last thing: the mysterious black envelope contained a delightful origami Red-crowned Crane, noted in Japan, where these binoculars are made, for their association with a long life and good fortune.

Meanwhile here are some pics of the unboxing.

Lee

IMG_4701.JPGIMG_4704.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4706.JPG
    IMG_4706.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 253
Thank you for revealing the contents and introducing us to Opticron’s new flagship Aurora.

Kind regards,
Miles

They look like they should be a really solid entrant in their bracket, looking forward to seeing more :)

Lee do you still have these, If you have not returned these would it be possible to give us a picture of the top view of the eye lens ? .... Thanks

This past weekend I had access to use the Opticron DBA VHD + 8x42. I previously owned the first generation DBA VHD 8x42. I have not personally seen in person the Aurora but from memory the the DBA VHD + 8x42 eye lens seem to be similar in design to the Aurora BGA VHD, with the Aurora eye lens maybe a millimeter larger ? Other than with the Aurora specs stating to be a tad heavier and taller on paper, the central hing/focus wheel with diopter setting look very similar. Even the color of both binoculars armor black seem the same, except where the Aurora side barrels have that peppery look where the DBA VHD + I used briefly the side barrels had those long grooved lines. Having said all this .... I know from using both versions of the DBA VHD 8x42 binoculars, both were as bright and super sharp as any 8x42 binocular I have ever handled. So I would be very interested to hear from someone who has actually done a side by side comparison between the New Aurora and the DBA VHD +. From Opticrons website the Aurora has a MSRP of $1149, with the VHD + $899 In dollars. You can now purchase the Opticron DBA VHD + as low as $685 from Opticsplanet with their regular 5% off coupons. If the Aurora gets discounted to about the same online we are talking about a $200. out of pocket difference. It will be interesting to see how many people will pay the difference just to get that larger field of view assuming the difference optically between the two is minimal. When handling both versions of the DBA VHD’s, I kept thinking man these are really sharp and bright. So will the New Aurora really be that much sharper/brighter to a younger healthier persons eyes to justify a few hundred dollar increase in cost over the current DBA VHD + Opticrons ?

Last edited:
Looking at the spec sheet the only thing that sets me back is the use of a field flattener. :censored: Sorry. Otherwise, on paper the FOV and ER seem to be quite impressive, so I'm looking forward to reviews that make direct comparisons with Swaro's new 8x42 NL, which is in an entirely different price category.

Ed

Opticron appears to be stepping up their game as of late... They seems to know how to work in 'packaging' which frankly, is part of any great marketing program. I am impressed with that alone but I also wait your views Lee. I must admit I am impressed with the Opticron Traveler series in how they compete, and this Aurora line is even better. Coupled with the new Monocular I have used, I think Opticron is entering 'quality' territory for sure.

I am looking forward to the field work Chuck. The review should be posted some time in late June after 3 weeks of hard use on the Isle of Islay.

Lee
Looking forwards to the review as I am tempted to pick a pair up - I love the MM4 50 ED scope, so thought i'd get a pair of the Aurora - But, I will wait until you have something to say about them! Cheers, R

Looking forwards to the review as I am tempted to pick a pair up - I love the MM4 50 ED scope, so thought i'd get a pair of the Aurora - But, I will wait until you have something to say about them! Cheers, R
Hi Ratal, was unable to review the Aurora on Islay but plan to take one to the Western Isles in a couple of weeks' time. Sorry for the delay.

Lee

Hi Ratal, was unable to review the Aurora on Islay but plan to take one to the Western Isles in a couple of weeks' time. Sorry for the delay.

Lee

Stonking levels of Sea Eagle around Harris and the surrounds last week. Oh, and as ever, Hen Harrier across the way were on fine form! look forward to your thoughts on the Aurora - but as ever, good luck with the birding!

Hi Lee,

interesting you say that you had kidney beans when looking through. Does this mean that the eye relief was slightly too long and you had black outs? That’s not a criticism - I prefer too long!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back