• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uncertain Sparrow - Hudson Valley, New York (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
I photographed this sparrow today along a creek bed in a hardwood forest in the Rockefeller State Forest Preserve, in Sleepy Hollow, NY. Could this be a Lincoln sparrow?

Attachments

• Sparow_3351.jpg
    Sparow_3351.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Sparrow_3344.jpg
    Sparrow_3344.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Sparrow_3346.jpg
    Sparrow_3346.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Sparrow_3348.jpg
    Sparrow_3348.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Sparrow_3358.jpg
    Sparrow_3358.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 21
That's certainly possible. Song sparrows are abundant in this area. But I don't see the spot on the breast, or the distinctive forehead stripes that the adults have around here. I hadn't considered a juvenile, though.

Should we consider a savannah sparrow? The tail seems fairly blunt. I've attached 3 additional photos in case that's helpful. In two of the photos (3358, above, and 3376, below) I think I can see a hint of yellow near the cheeks, but that could just be a reflection.

Attachments

• Sparrow_3337.jpg
    Sparrow_3337.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Sparrow_3356.jpg
    Sparrow_3356.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Sparrow_3376.jpg
    Sparrow_3376.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 9
Still a Song Sparrow, I think. Habitat is wrong for Savannah Sparrow. The "fluffy" plumage and fleshy gape are both indicative of a juvenile bird, plus the shorter tail. As far as Song vs. Lincoln's, I haven't seen many photos of juvenile Lincoln's, but this bird's bold facial markings as seen in images 3351 and 3348 look good for Song.

I think Barbets 48 and birdmeister have it right. It is surely a juvenile for the reasons birdmeister has given. The location is outside the breeding range of Lincoln's Sparrow, so that can be eliminated from consideration. Both Song and Swamp Sparrows do breed in that area, however. The juveniles of the two are very similar, but relatively heavy malar in this bird favors Song Sparrow. The best discussion of this problem I have found is here: https://www.birdpop.org/docs/pubs/Lai_et_al_2017_Identifying_Juvenile_Sparrows.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back