• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Bird (1 Viewer)

A couple of weeks ago at the wooded entrance gate to my Central Virginia farmstead I saw a bird that is not pictured in Peterson's Eastern Guide. Sorry, I have no picture but I got a good 60 second or so look at it, so here's a description. The bird was about 10 to 11 inches long (as compared to a Mockingbird) gray above from beak to end of tail, including wings, and whitish below from beak to tail. Body was sleek and slender (similar to the sleekness of a yellow billed cuckoo) and tail proportionately longer than that of a mockingbird, also similar to tail length proportion of the cuckoo. Black around the eyes with black eyes, and could not discern any eye rings. Tarsus were black with white feathers (down?) above the tarsus joint. Most distinctive feature was it's definite yellow bill (upper and lower mandibles, yellow), I believe, a rarity in land birds. Beak was shaped similar to mockingbird. The only feature I'm not sure I correctly recall was a side tail feather that was black while the rest were gray. At perch, the bird was horizontal.
I noticed the bird in the tree about 12 feet above ground, above my entrance gate as I was approaching the gate in my truck. Bird was not very timid as I pulled to within what was probably 20-25 foot line-of-sight and put my head out the window for the minute or so that I studied it. Bird was very well sunlit so I'm sure of its coloring. As I finally approached closer, he moved to a nearby branch and then finally flew deeper into the woods. I believe I have seen this same bird here since late spring on three or four other occasions but always in a tree from below or nearly below but could only really identify the distinct gray above/whitish below feature so could not definitely determine that it was not in Peterson's guide.
Am really curious to know what it could be. Anyone have any idea?

scanman777, what do you think of an Olive-sided Flycatcher? It is a little smaller than you describe, but how is the coloring?

I'm not very experianced at identifying birds, but your description makes for a fun puzzle!

Smudgepot, thanks for your reply. Olive-sided Flycatcher is doubtful. This bird was at least as long as if not an inch or so longer than a mockingbird. The gray on top was a single, consistent shade of medium gray. No noticeable wingbars or streaking. The whitish below was also consistent from bill to rump, no noticeable specks or streaking. Definite yellow bill.
I've been wondering if its an exotic from a pet store, although exotics are usually more colorful as opposed to a boring gray and white.
Again, thanx for the read and reply smudgepot. Its definitely a puzzler to me as well.

Thanks for the reply oldsquaw. I had considered a Loggerhead Shrike as well, but this bird is too sleek and too long for the LS. The yellow beak and solid gray above with no wing bars also rules out the LS.

Thanx for the reply Bubba. I too, had wondered about the possibility of a juv cuckoo since none are pictured in Peterson's guide. If the juvenile yellow-billed cuckoo is gray above with both upper and lower mandibles yellow, its a possibility. If I observed correctly though, this bird's beak was a bit shorter and fatter than the YBC.
As an added note and update, I believe I saw this bird again this morning while having my morning coffee on the back screened porch. Although the lighting allowed only a silhouette, the behavior was identical. The horizontal perch and flitting from branch to nearby branch. I grabbed the camera and approached the walnut tree where I had seen it but he had apparently moved to the top of the tree since I saw a long white-below bird fly from there to a wild cherry tree and then I approached the cherry tree he flew to another nearby tree in my front yard. Its flight was straight and quite swift. I went around the house the other direction since that would have provided better lighting, were I able to get a picture, but did not spot him again. Am carrying a camera more often now in hopes that I can get a shot to post. i.e. "Don't have camera, can't shoot." Again, thanx for the reply, Bubba.

Bob,
Here is a little more info for you...

There is a drawing of a juvenile Yellow-billed Cuckoo in The Sibley Field Buide to Birds of Western North America.

It is much like the adult with a yellow lower and upper mandible except for a black stripe on the top of the upper mandible. The dark stripes on the long tail are much lighter than the adult. They are more soft gray alternating with the white. The gray-brown from the back comes over the shoulder a little more on the juvenile. The area around the eye is darker than the gray on the back, but not as pronounced as the adult. The rufous primaries still show up on the drawing of the juvenile, but I don't know if they are as bright as the adult - hard to tell from the drawing.

My book says these birds are rare in my neck of the woods. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Good Luck capturing it on film and thanks again for the puzzle.

Smudgepot, thanx for the additional reply. You may be right. Based on your reply I did some additionaa internet research. This link was particularly detailed and states that the juvenile Eastern YBC has a yellow beak. Although I haven't noticed any rufous in the primaries, I haven't seen it in flight from the side that much and believe the rufous isn't that distinguishable in the juvenile anyway. Still trying to get a picture but haven't seen the bird in the last 4 or 5 days. Thax again, Smudgepot.

Details on YBC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back