• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Ducks at the Shawnee Yacht Club at Lake Shawnee in Topeka, KS, USA (1 Viewer)

nautical_josh

United States
Time Seen: 5:56 CDT on June 16th, 2021.
Size: Approximately Mallard sized

I tried looking around online and I think the black one is a Black Swedish Duck, but I'm definitely not sure (rather new to this). And, I couldn't find anything on the ducklings. Looking up Black Swedish Ducklings show them being well black rather than brown.

A fellow sailor said she saw them two days before and that they were rather quote cranky unquote when the ducks came right up to her and she and her husband didn't give them food. The black duck had a similar sound to a female Mallard with maybe a higher pitch. The ducklings had a high pitch chirp. (Hopefully I'm remembering the sound correctly. It was a busy and really hot day sorry.) They had no fear of us, and I could have reached out while barely extending my arm and touched the ducklings. They also didn't appear to fear the boats and vehicles whereas usually while launching boats ducks will stay out further on the lake. These came up to the ramp and were on it while we launched and then stayed by the dock where we tied the boats off to. Eventually they made their way a bit north, approximately 50-75 yards, along the shore and stayed swimming in and around the weeds near shore. That is where I last saw them. I've racked my brain and this is all I can think of. If you need more please point out the type of info and I will try and answer.

Attachments

• Unknown Ducks 1.jpg
    Unknown Ducks 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Unknown Ducks 2.jpg
    Unknown Ducks 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back