• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown @ Pilling Marsh (1 Viewer)

derekg

Bamber Bridge Birder
Spent part of my afternoon at Pilling Marsh were I watched something on the marshland for about twenty minutes that I need help in the identification of.

It was had similar markings to that of a female golden oriole, was a similar size to a thrush (had comparison as there were several lapwing in the area).
It spent most of the time running along the grass of the marsh.

I've checked my books and any web sites relating to the area and have come up with nothing apart from the above. I don't believe it is as it spent so much time on the ground.

Sorry no photos it was out of my lens range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Derek

Stephen,

Definately not a golden plover, the Body was a dull yellow with a black stripe down the side presumably its wing.
Thrush like in body shape.

Derek

It was had similar markings to that of a female golden oriole, was a similar size to a thrush (had comparison as there were several lapwing in the area).
It spent most of the time running along the grass of the marsh.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Derek

Long time since i twitched Pilling, for a snow goose i think, so i can't remember the habitat really. any trees at all? Could it have been green woodpecker?

Thanks for your efforts guys but I feel I'm still at a loss at the ID.

We ruled out the Green Woodpecker as the bird was grounded throughout the twenty minutes or so. A Thrush maybe as the shape and characteristics were similar but the markings and colour were all wrong for any thrush local to the UK. The Wagtail was something we did toy with as the colour was similar but the tail was quite short and it was to large.

A friend who was with me and saw the bird yesterday is heading back up today. If he manages to photo it or even get a closer view to ID it I will post later on this thread.

Many thanks again

Derek

Green Woodpecker is almost as unlikely on Pilling Marsh as Golden Oriole, there isn't a relaible site for this species on the Fylde any more.

Stephen.

Green Woodpecker on the ground is a lot more likely that Golden Oriole on the ground. Neither is overly likely on the Fylde mind.

Green Woodpecker on the ground is a lot more likely that Golden Oriole on the ground. Neither is overly likely on the Fylde mind.

I agree. I think it's just going to be one of those I file away as unidentified unless someone else manages to see it and identify it.

Went back to Pilling Marsh today and spoke to someone we met last week and visits daily. They saw the bird at closer quarters and identified it as a female Wheatear. They described the markings exactly as we had seen it, I can only think the bright sunlight enhanced the plumage.

again thanks for your suggestions

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back