• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknowns from my garden in Cyprus. (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
The first moth is also in the second picture, to the right. I did the shot of three because I'm not totally sure that the two grey ones are the same species, one has all dark reniform stigmata and a center crossline and I'm not sure of the brown one either.

I had three what I think are Large Ranunculous but they lookmto be a different race to the one I posted the other day, I incude that for comparison

The last two shots are the same moth, they look a bit like one of the Bordered Straws but really not sure so any help appreciated.

Edit: Beaded Chestnut for the brown one in the trio?

Attachments

• Caradrina sp.jpg
    Caradrina sp.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1671279279262 (1).jpg
    1671279279262 (1).jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Large Ranunculus.jpg
    Large Ranunculus.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Large Ranunculus 2.jpg
    Large Ranunculus 2.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1670739178629.jpg
    1670739178629.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Unknown 1.jpg
    Unknown 1.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Bordered Straw sp.jpg
    Bordered Straw sp.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The bordered straw looks good for Scarce Bordered Straw to me.
It's been named as Eastern by someone with great local knowledge?

I've also in error, called Large Ranuculus but it is in fact the very similar Polymixis rufocincta ssp. flavidor.

The trio are all Beaded Chestnuts, didn't realise they were so variable.

It's been named as Eastern by someone with great local knowledge?

I've also in error, called Large Ranuculus but it is in fact the very similar Polymixis rufocincta ssp. flavidor.

The trio are all Beaded Chestnuts, didn't realise they were so variable.
Eastern are supposed to show a black dot on the trailing edge of the fore-wing which I don't see here?

Eastern are supposed to show a black dot on the trailing edge of the fore-wing which I don't see here?
I agree,

here is one I caught before an assigned as Eastern but I'm in no position to argue, resources for Cyprus are few so I'm grateful for any help!

Attachments

• Eastern Bordered Straw.jpg
    Eastern Bordered Straw.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
In addition to comments above, Eastern is considerably smaller than both Bordered and Scarce bordered, both of which I got last night.

Attachments

• 1671344383455.jpg
    1671344383455.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back