• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (12 Viewers)

Great to see and hear about the trip, Phil! Must have been an excellent time. The Thekla Lark image is wonderful. We do have Pine Martens here in the states, but I was shocked to hear they were on an island. Here, they are more a northern forest species - something I used to see (only on rare fortunate occasions) when backpacking in New England growing up.

Thanks everyone.

It seems I have to learn that you can still have a chat, between posting artworks!

Hence the sparseness of talk!

Here's a Yellow Legged Gull pursuing an Osprey with its catch. Son Parc, Menorca. May 2011. With Monte Torro behind....

Attachments

• WTB 30.jpg
    WTB 30.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
80% Finished Acrylic Mutes on Canvas...

Hoping a gallery in Somerset, UK, takes these on...

As said, un-finished...

Mute Swan sections...

At least I'm doing stuff now!:-O

Attachments

• Mute Swan Winter Sun.jpg
    Mute Swan Winter Sun.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Mute  Cygnet Summer Sun Ride 100dpi.jpg
    Mute Cygnet Summer Sun Ride 100dpi.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 47
Hey Phil these both have strong qualities to them. Closely cropped images are generally not among my favorites. But you've managed to give them a sense of life and originality, especially in the first one. Both are strikingly simple and bold.

Nice to see you working and it should also be nice to see how these develop!!

Thanks all!

This is not a medium I feel comfortable with! I'd rather stick to gouache!

No news back from the gallery means they've sussed this also!

Argh! Frames! I can't afford that stuff! :-C :cat:

PS I discovered a new species on Menorca in May...

...Duck-Billed Sparrowpus!

pps "Baber's Duck-Billed Sparrowpus." (Passer quackerus.)

pps (Feeds mostly on crusts, as seen in the photo...;))

Attachments

• Duck-Billed Sparrowpus....jpg
    Duck-Billed Sparrowpus....jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The colours in those swans are gorgeous!

"Duck billled sparrowpus" He! He! Just goes to show that you can't trust photos.

I once saw an unusual kestrel in a wildlife art exhibition. It was a fairly standard 'bird on a post' painting but the most interesting thing was his tail: One feather used to belong to a lanner falcon! Field sketching and observation at its finest!

Mike

Nice job on the Mute Swans, Phil! And I love the hybrid species in the photo. Her 'bill' looks similar to some of my first attempts to draw bills. Some would say it resembles my current efforts as well! :-O

The colours in those swans are gorgeous!

"Duck billled sparrowpus" He! He! Just goes to show that you can't trust photos.

I once saw an unusual kestrel in a wildlife art exhibition. It was a fairly standard 'bird on a post' painting but the most interesting thing was his tail: One feather used to belong to a lanner falcon! Field sketching and observation at its finest!

Mike

Baber's Duck-Billed Sparrowpus.... and it is a male!

A new species Mike!

Been watching your blog. Supreme! :smoke:

Had a dream last night. Was given an art pad, and was confused...

Watch out then? For a torrent of limp artwork to come...;)

swans are lovely - beautifully composed. I know what you mean about framing - drives me mad to have to get stuff encased in wood and glass - any profit from anything sold is held back to pay for next year's frames and all the unsold stuff just sits collecting dust taking up a lot more space than I would like. I've always wanted to do an exhibition with pictures blu-tacked on the wall - must find a way of making pictures that are 100% washable!

Yes. Gallery refused. Because owner couldn't open attachments in email. And cited "technofear" as a reason...
Better finish them, and give them to my wonderful partner instead! ;)

Finished with mediums I don't feel comfortable with...

Nick, thanks for the feather ID!

Been doing free stuff for local report. Grass roots!

A female Blue-Winged Teal has appeared at our local reservoir. 19 years ago I saw another. They published some sketches here...

http://www.bocbirdsightings.blogspot.com/

Have a great and wonderful weekend you lovely peeps! ;)

Finished with mediums I don't feel comfortable with...

Nick, thanks for the feather ID!

Been doing free stuff for local report. Grass roots!

A female Blue-Winged Teal has appeared at our local reservoir. 19 years ago I saw another. They published some sketches here...

http://www.bocbirdsightings.blogspot.com/

Have a great and wonderful weekend you lovely peeps! ;)

Nice sketch Phil. But so were the new paintings. Don't let one setback stop you. I'm sure you could get more comfortable with the medium if you continued it. I do think they had a lot of promise.

More Late Postcards from Menorca...

Turtle Dove Pair, Son Bou, Menorca. May 2011.

(Gouache and Water-Colour Pencil on Bristol Paper.)

Finally finished a piece after a hefty abscence. Shame is on me! :-C

Turtle Doves were abundant on Menorca, but were at their highest concentration in Son Bou. Where their constant "turring" on all sides was balm for the soul.
Another distillation of memories. I like the "postcards" because, somehow, the Sun pours out of them. And that can't be a bad thing! ;)
Based on numerous photos taken at the time. No time for sketching in Menorca. Far too busy birding!:eek!:
Soundtrack to the painting available here....

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=European+Turtle+Dove

Attachments

• Turtle Doves, Son Bou. Redux..jpg
    Turtle Doves, Son Bou. Redux..jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back