• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (15 Viewers)

I caught up with my first of the year just this weekend. I was beginning to think the Maltese had shot them all out of the sky. Nice to know they missed one or two.
There's a delicious feeling of heat in this pic and, just as Nick says, I can hear the purring in my head.

Mike

beautiful- still waiting for my first of the year, hoping to hear one on my evening Hobby prowls, but no joy yet

got me on a meander this one- there's a well-known painting out there of a Turtle Dove and discarded 19thC helmet which i can see in my mind's eye but can't for the life of me remember who pinxit: anyone know?

Lovely, lovely dovely - beautiful work, Phil. And I can't believe I missed the swans - I missed the swans!!! and I can't believe the gallery missed them. Don't pack in with this medium - you've got something happening here - particularly the close-crop; lovely intricate forms described elegantly. Lovely.

Late Postcards From Menorca...Tawny Pipit, Ses Salines, Menorca May 2011.

(Gouache and WCPencil on Bristol Paper.)

Another memory distilled from Menorcan sunshine. They will keep coming. After all we, in my country, need at least some Sun in Summer...:cool:

Attachments

• Tawny Ses Salines Menorca bfsize aac.jpg
    Tawny Ses Salines Menorca bfsize aac.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 81

(Gouache and WCPencil on Bristol Paper.)

Another memory distilled from Menorcan sunshine. They will keep coming. After all we, in my country, need at least some Sun in Summer...:cool:

Another thoroughly individual work Phil! You're moving right along.

However on the sun front... We're heading into temps of 100-101 with heat indexes of 105-110F. I think it's time to consider painting some snow, or at least mountains....

Another thoroughly individual work Phil! You're moving right along.

However on the sun front... We're heading into temps of 100-101 with heat indexes of 105-110F. I think it's time to consider painting some snow, or at least mountains....

Lucky you! (Or unlucky!;)) Send some of that heat to this rain-soaked outpost!:-O Argh! Winter is a taboo subject right now!:cat::-C

I'd like some sun over here, too!!! However, the colours you've chosen for this bird are unusual but the fit O:)

Ulrike

That pipts kinda 'wow' Phil...:t:

Background is interesting...it reminds me of looking up through ice..[not that i've been in water looking up through ice]...;)

I love both these works, Phil. I'm particularly taken with the results of the watercolour pencils. Not everyone's cup of tea, I understand but when they're done as well as this I want to try 'em myself! The tawny Pipit (it is ine, right?) in particular is remarkably well done.

Let's have some more WC pencils!

Russ

Loxton's Marsh Dragonfly Hunter at Rest. (2 CYR Red-Footed Falcon. Loxton's Marsh, Somerset, England 25 May 2011.)

(Water colour, Gouache and WC Pencil on Bristol Paper.)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Here's a piece I've just done.
We spent a happy afternoon back in May with this marvellous bird, hunting Dragonflies just above our heads. The piece was done from digi-scoped photos of her perched up between insecting bouts.
She stayed in the area for several days before departing to the Ukraine or Bulgaria or Russia, or where she should have been at that time of year. Because of that, while doing this piece to honour her, I named her Olga.;)
Some photos of this fine falcon can be seen here...

http://www.somersetbirder.co.uk/may11.htm

Two weeks previous to this encounter we had had an amazing aerial circus of up to 20 Red-Footed Falcons at Tirant Marshes, Menorca. Some video of that sunset encounter by us is here...

http://youtu.be/rLIlErRMOF0

Truly beautiful little Falcons.

Attachments

• Olga bf aac.jpg
    Olga bf aac.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 96
Cor! This is a joy to behold. Such intense colour - I love it. At times I become almost numb with the lack of colour in my work! This thread is a most effectve antidote. Have you used watercolour pencils again, Phil? If so your efforts are working overtime to inspire me.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back