• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (4 Viewers)

that's exactly the word

just been enjoying locating the hidden dunlins

Another vote for bubbling. As far as the buntings I seem to recall being quite struck with them when they first appeared in color.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see a bird guide in a similar vein? Keep up this great work Phil.

I forgot quite how stonkingly good this lap bunt spread was. I wish some of my efforts would reproduce like this in b and w. Usually the printed result is something washed out, faded and aneamic - no wonder I want to stick thick black lines around everything!

Out sketching at Old Moor this morning and I'm now feeling a bit odd not using a camera, good idea as it may sound. They seem to be replacing telescopes now! Anyway, looking at this lappie piece does get me wondering if traditional sketching and note-taking will soon be consigned to the history books! Personally, I won't bemoan it - it all adds to the cult!

Russ

Sorry for the late reply Russ.
Am finding it difficult to keep up here now!
It was easier in 2010. But more people=more art! And that can only be a great thing!
Let us not consign it to the History Books. Let's take it away from the "photographers!"
Keep up the brilliant work my friend!:t:

How have I not commented on the terrific lap bunt pages!? There's more info in the drawings and notes than anyone would need to id these guys. Ace!

Mike

I was supposed to comment on your plovers upthread when I saw them a few days ago, but I think I just clapped and couldn't type!

Wow! It's been hard keeping up here. Much busier than it used to be!:eek!:
A Bird Report deadline has finally forced me to produce something, after a long abstinence. I'll just slip these neatly onto the front page. Hope I don't slip off too soon!:-O
All these are greyscale, but I had to do one in colour to get the greyscale. So I've reproduced it here in colour.
The cast is Common Swift (pc altered backgound...a first...and took ages...), 2cyr Red-Foot Falcon male, Temminck's Stint and, (bring me the head of...), a juvenile Arctic Skua.
(Mediums?: Watered down black, grey gouache. B pencil. Black and grey WC pencil. Edding profipen 0.3. Cheap sketch paper pad.)

Hope to post more soon. Spent a week in Portugal, which needs addressing. And the rest. A juvenile Pallid Harrier needs attention also.;) Thanks for all your previous kind comments. And I hope I've managed to keep up with all your wonderful threads down here in the Art Cave? If not, I apologise!
B :):cat:

Attachments

• Temint aac cbr.jpg
    Temint aac cbr.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 48
  • aac gscale 2cyr rff cbr.jpg
    aac gscale 2cyr rff cbr.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 33
  • arctic skua juv head aac cbr.jpg
    arctic skua juv head aac cbr.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 38
  • comswift new aac cbr.jpg
    comswift new aac cbr.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 2cyr rff cbr.jpg
    2cyr rff cbr.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi Phil,
These are superb, mate! Black and grey he says. Today I found an inland Great Grey Shrike, which posed in the wind and drizze distantly for a few seconds before scarpering over bleak open moorland. I dream find for me, but 'cos it didn't pose for my sketchbook I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Let's see more of these, sir!

Russ

Thanks everyone. Good to be back again.
Nice find Russ! We had to put up with Iberian Grey Shrikes in Portugal recently.:-C13.4r.jpgB :)
A brilliant bird! These Grey shrikes are the masters of Greyscale and B&W! I refer the Honourable Gentleman to Post#17 in this link...;)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=171764

In the meantime, another free one for the Report. I wanted to pare down a Sand Martin to its essence. (ie. simplicity of line.) Didn't work.:C But it's rustic enough, and has given me inspiration with regard to simplifying portrayals of Wildlife...:cat:

Attachments

• smarting.jpg
    smarting.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
34 New Common Cranes Re-Introduced. A WIP...

2010 and 2011 saw Common Cranes re-introduced to the UK.

http://www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk/

On a second long drive,and after much ground-work, we had the whole flock fly over us, and land. We were honoured to watch them for the next 2 hours.

http://philbaber-wildlifeart.blogspot.com/2011/10/update-imminent-but-in-meantime.html

On a canvas, I'm trying to capture them, overhead, in acrylics.

I am very familiar with C.Cranes in Poland. But to see them in such numbers here? It was glorious! B :)

Over the next years, the project looks set to succeed. I do hope so.

Some WIP pics...

Pencil canvas with great smudges. Detail. And addition of sky. With crops...More later...

Keep up the good work everyone!:t:

Attachments

• 34penc.jpg
    34penc.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 34crop.jpg
    34crop.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • blubig.jpg
    blubig.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 34cropblu.jpg