• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unwelcome visitor (4 Viewers)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Unfortunately a sparrowhawk has realised that my new feeder pole makes an ideal perch for surveying the garden! The photograph was hastily taken from a part-open doorway, through a double glazed window.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Sparrowhawk.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 170
Adey Baker said:
Nice bird, why 'unfortunately'?

Because it might eat my precious bluetits, and ruin the photoshoot sessions for this year! If you look at our website, you will see what an important part of our lives they are!!!

We've also had one take up residence recently in a tree at the bottom of the garden. It appears every few days and I guess choses this perch because it proivdes a clear view of the feeders. I find them majestic birds to watch - this is one of a pair that quite often display over the farmland behind the house.

I've never seen them take anything in the garden ... yet; I guess it's only a matter of time. But that's nature for you !!

Attachments

• Pict0034.jpg
    Pict0034.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 148
AnnieW said:
I've never seen them take anything in the garden ... yet; I guess it's only a matter of time. But that's nature for you !!

I am only aware of two being taken in the last few months - one was our faithful song thrush, who visited most days. We had been out, and when we returned we noticed some feathers on the lawn - inspection showed we had lost the song thrush. The other time I was still upstairs in the morning, and heard a tremendous crash on the bedroom window. I just thought at the time that it was a window strike, but a little later I remembered about it, and went out to see if there was a dead bird on the ground - and disturbed a sparrowhawk who was tearing apart a collared dove on the lawn. I guessed that probably the dove was attempting to escape the hawk, and crashed into the window in its panic. I reckon it was probably killed outright, so at least it would have been a quick death, rather than being plucked alive!

One non-lethal method pigeon fanciers use to deter sparrowhawks is to hang up a number of unwanted plastic CD's around the garden, instead of turning them into coasters for coffee mugs!

The discs can either be fixed to a convenient post, or suspended on string so that they revolve in the breeze. The theory is that the flashes of reflected light they emit will distract the sparrowhawk while not seeming to upset other birds.

I haven't tried it myself, but it's certainly a low-cost way to prevent the 'kill' taking place in your garden if it works.

Anthony Morton said:
One non-lethal method pigeon fanciers use to deter sparrowhawks is to hang up a number of unwanted plastic CD's around the garden, instead of turning them into coasters for coffee mugs!

The discs can either be fixed to a convenient post, or suspended on string so that they revolve in the breeze. The theory is that the flashes of reflected light they emit will distract the sparrowhawk while not seeming to upset other birds.

I haven't tried it myself, but it's certainly a low-cost way to prevent the 'kill' taking place in your garden if it works.

That's certainly worth trying, Anthony - thanks. I have a stack of CDs that I was saving for someone, but now he doesn't want any more.

Has anyone out there tried this?

My mum uses this same method to keep the Blackbird off her blueberry bush. Don't know if it really works for that but may for the Sprawk. Nice picture of him by the way.

steve_nova said:
My mum uses this same method to keep the Blackbird off her blueberry bush. Don't know if it really works for that but may for the Sprawk. Nice picture of him by the way.

Errrrmmmmm! We thought it was a female actually!!! HELP!!!

scampo said:
Lucky, lucky, you, Elizabeth - what a truly beautifuil bird the male sparrowhawk is!

Well if I can catch him, I'll pack him up and send him straight to you!!!! We hadn't checked our references properly, and because he was rather large, decided he was a female!!! :eek!:

Elizabeth- enjoy him!! I think its great having a full foodchain working in your garden and seeing nature at its rawest, yet most fascinating. ive had a pair of sparrowhawks visiting for a few years....and only witnessed and seen evidence for just a few kills.

seb_seb said:
Elizabeth- enjoy him!! I think its great having a full foodchain working in your garden and seeing nature at its rawest, yet most fascinating. ive had a pair of sparrowhawks visiting for a few years....and only witnessed and seen evidence for just a few kills.

Seb - read my first reply in the thread - have you never become rather attached to any birds in your garden in this way?

Sorry, i didnt bother reading the whole thread. Id agree with the person who suggested the cd`s, if that stops them getting at "your" blue tits?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back