• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading Leopold 8x30's Old poster, new birder! (1 Viewer)

craig braddick

Hi People!

A few years ago I posted about getting some binoculars for horse race calling. having now landed a permanent calling job (and one where I can enjoy watching the birds between races) I am wondering about my binoculars again.

A couple of years ago I was working at a track where I could not use my stand in the booth and on the recommendation of people on this forum who spoke highly of the Yosemite 8x30, I purchased a pair.

They make fine race calling glasses and are light enough and steady enough to hand hold. They also are good for birdwatching.

But now I have a permanent job, I am thinking of upgrading them and your input is welcome.

8x30 or 8x32 would be ideal, would be willing to look at an 8x42 if a similar weight to the Yosemites. Weight is a factor here as I have sore hands most of the time.

Budget will be around $400, right now the ones that have caught my eye are the Canon IS 10x30 that can be had for under $400 at Adorama, the Eagle Optics Ranger 8x32 and the new Zeiss Terra 8x42.

Thanking you in advance for the advice.

Craig

Last edited:
For what it is worth, a few years ago I commented in the Canon Forum about an article I saw in the New York Post (?) about the guy who called the races at Belmont. There was a picture of him, showing the track in the background, holding what looked like either a Canon 15x50IS or an 18x50IS and next to him, on a shelf, was a similar binocular which I assumed was his back up.

You might want to consider the Canon 10 x 30IS but I don't think you can lock it into the IS mode like you can the 15x and 18x. If you only buy one make sure you have spare batteries although the people who own and use them who have commented here note that the binocular is quite good even without the IS on.

Here is the link to the comment I made: I gave it the title; "Triple Crown Binoculars."

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=115374

As you can see, there were no comments to it. People here would rather throw good money after bad binoculars!;);)

Bob

PS: My one experience with an IS binocular was with the Canon 10 x 42 IS and I was really impressed with how effective the IS on it was when it was engaged even though the view without it on was also very good too. I thought that binocular was bulky and awkward to hold.

Last edited:
Hi Bob:

The announcer is Tom Durkin who announces at all of the NY tracks. Partly because he uses Canons is one reason I am considering them. I have in fact tried the 15x50 for race calling and for me the narrow field of view is a huge drawback. I like to see as many horses as possible but with a reasonable magnification.

Thanks a lot,

Craig.

Craig,

I have a friend who is a regular at the Harness Races at Pocono Downs when they are running. He uses a Nikon 8 x 30 EII which he bought on my recommendation many years ago. It has a very wide FOV of 8.8º or 462' @ 1000 yards. He usually sits in the restaurant area to watch the races and he is really pleased with them. Of course, it is only a 5/8 mile track.

Unfortunately Nikon EII's are no longer sold in the USA but if you can locate one of them on e-bay, (there also is a 10 x 35 EII bigger brother, which has a wide FOV of 370' @ 1000 yards) you would also have a great birding binocular.

Eye relief on these might be a bit short if you wear glasses but you would still have a wide view. The edges of the view are soft but it is no trouble at all to center the binocular on your subject.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back