• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (104 Viewers)

Upton's First Nightingale

Unfortunately RBA's online records only go as far back as 2001.

Whoever located the bird first deserves a medal. If this is the bird from the all-dayer, I recall JTB driving down the track to the East hide on the Moors and flashing his lights to get our attention. Apart from the first all-dayer in 1991? I have not arrived any earlier than 6am for any of the other 20+ I have attended, so that gives us a clue towards when the bird was found as JTB would have raced to The Moors to spread the news....

Seems ages ago that we (I) have had a real adrenalin-pumping moment at Upton. Surely an Autumn BB-rarity is overdue..............????

Didn’t see or hear any Sedge warblers today and only saw or heard the one reed warbler from the west hide on the Moors pools it was very quiet around the Hen brook area today as if all the warblers had gone hope not though as I love these little birds

We will be monitering activity around the Hen Pool over the next week or two; when we are happy there is no further breeding activity we will cut the usual channels which give great views / photographic opportunities of young Water Rail, Moorhen, Reed and Sedge Warbler and hopefully one year, Spotted Crake.

Whoever located the bird first deserves a medal. If this is the bird from the all-dayer, I recall JTB driving down the track to the East hide on the Moors and flashing his lights to get our attention. Apart from the first all-dayer in 1991? I have not arrived any earlier than 6am for any of the other 20+ I have attended, so that gives us a clue towards when the bird was found as JTB would have raced to The Moors to spread the news....

Seems ages ago that we (I) have had a real adrenalin-pumping moment at Upton. Surely an Autumn BB-rarity is overdue..............????

Your Golden Oriole must have pumped the adrenalin Paul!

Returning to the Nightingale, I made a note in my log for May 8th, the final evening of the birds stay, " At 20.45, Phil and myself had the pleasure of listening to the Nightingale and Curlew calling at the same time".

Des.

There's a report on Worcester Birding of a Red Kite today over Stoke Prior heading towards Upton Warren; anyone see it over the reserve?

Little to report tonight in 2.5 hours at the Flashes. On the Sailing Pool on the way down there was the adult and juvenile Great Crested Grebe. Either side of the boardwalk between the steps and the bridge there was a loose flock of feeding passerines, mostly juveniles of Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit and Bullfinch. From the tower hide I was pleased to see that the Redshank was still present - only my third or fourth record this year of what used to be a breeding summer visitor :eek!: Other waders present were: 10 Green Sandpipers - although 11 reported earlier; two Common Sandpipers; 15 Avocets (5 adults & 10 juveniles); four Little Ringed Plovers; one Oystercatcher; 18 Curlews and c.40 Lapwings. The Black-headed Gull roost had reached c.650 by the time I left, accompanied by five LBBGs, although at least ten birds of varying ages dropped in during the course of the evening. Two Herring Gulls (an adult and juvenile) circled briefly. Two juvenile Common Terns visited briefly from the Moors Pool.

There were a number of green sandpipers and two common sandpipers at the flashes around 13:00 yesterday. One common sand was very mobile, but the other pottered around being clearly visible from the LH of the Avocet hide for some time. It appears to be the bird which was discussed on pp796 and 797 (16/17 July). 2 yellow rings on RH leg which sometimes looked like one and at other times were clearly separated. The LH leg had a pale blue ring on the upper leg and a gold or gunmetal-coloured ring on the lower leg.

Pic one shows the yellow rings separated; pic two shows the yellow rings together.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Image2a.jpg
    Image2a.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 98
West hide, the Moors 18:30ish

1. well-grown young tern on LH island, calling for attention.
2. & 3. another, more sedate one on RH island - part facing, then side-on.

(When we arrived at the Moors car park mid-afternoon there was a water rail squealing in the reeds near the start of the North Moors walk.)

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
A few from earlier today -

1 - green sandpiper
2 - avocets
3 - 4 avocets leaving didn't see them return went over towards the Moors Pools and then lost sight of them
4 - Damsel fly forgotten the name but have already asked it just got away from me right now
5 - Highlight of the east hide adult little grebe with yung

Attachments

• 000_3796.JPG
    000_3796.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 000_3873.JPG
    000_3873.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_3931.JPG
    000_3931.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 000_3967.JPG
    000_3967.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 000_4034.JPG
    000_4034.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Last few from the best air display team fr today -
1 - 5 common terns

Attachments

• 000_4108.JPG
    000_4108.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 000_4144.JPG
    000_4144.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 000_4145.JPG
    000_4145.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 000_4149.JPG
    000_4149.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 000_4190.JPG
    000_4190.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 56
Today's Goldcrest and Redshank took the July list to 95 species. With a few days left there is still time to add a couple more, say Greylag Goose, Black Tern or Coal Tit. I attach a comparsion of the monthly totals between this year and last and also how the year's list has progreessed compared to 2012.

Phil, I've had a single Greylag this month, can't remember date though.

Rob

Ta

Hi Tom

As none of our birds are ringed we can only guess.
Outward movement
A couple of years ago 7 birds (4 juvs and 3 ads) left upton, a couple of days later this same combination appeared at Branston GP, this is NE of Upton in Staffs. It could be that they were moving to the Humber or the Linconshire Wash.. These are areas where birds gather in the autumn before moving south for the winter.
Spring influx
During the spring, birds arrive in the Slimbridge area and close by on the Severn estuary. Shortly afterwards we get our first influx and these birds could have been wintering on the Exe estuary.
B :)John

Cheers John, possibly popping in the weekend on our way back from Worcester!

Quick visit today.

Moors.
Common Snipe on the shingle island which went to feed on the far side of the reserve near the Salwarpe.
29 or so LBBG flew in and Coot numbers increased to a counted 155.
Flashes.
Only 6 six Avocets remain but more than 40 Lapwings now present. Also a Dunlin, of which a record shot is enclosed.
What struck me more than anything was that the birds have calmed down with very little territorial behavior. Also not much was singing giving the place an almost eerie quiet.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpg
    IMG_8344.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 79
Moors.
Common Snipe on the shingle island which went to feed on the far side of the reserve near the Salwarpe.
29 or so LBBG flew in and Coot numbers increased to a counted 155.
Flashes.
Only 6 six Avocets remain but more than 40 Lapwings now present. Also a Dunlin, of which a record shot is enclosed.
What struck me more than anything was that the birds have calmed down with very little territorial behavior. Also not much was singing giving the place an almost eerie quiet.:t:

cheers for keeping us up to date. the 6 avocets are the last two unfledged broods. of 1:3 with their respective mothers. B :) john

Some passerine movement noted today along hen brook at the flashes with
Garden warbler
3 Lesser white throat (in same bush)
1 Willow warbler (nice lemon juv and a 2nd calling on Moors)
Together with usual chiffchaffs, juv Whitethroats, Reed warbler and blackcap

Another quick visit - late afternoon

Moors: 30-40 LBBGs, 2 Herring Gulls, GCG pair in front of new hide with 3 young (old enough to be allowed to swim on their own but young enough to try to get on parents' back).

Flashes: a couple in the Cuckoo hide reported seeing/hearing 4 Willow Warblers in the trees beside the feeders. As Bob noted, there were a surprising number of Lapwings - 40+, 11 Curlew, 2 Common Sandpipers, 8 Green Sandpipers, 2 LRPs, 7 Avocets, and a possible sighting of a Water Rail chick in the reeds in front of the large oak tree.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back