• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES/FEEDING STATION:
It looks like yesterday was the last recording day for Avocet because there none about today.
Green Sand (8)----------------Common Sand (2)
LRP (juv)----------------------Curlew (20)
Lapwing (c60)-----------------Common Tern (Ad)
Teal (10)----------------------Shoveler (1)
Swift (1)----------------------Sedge Warbler
L Whitethroat------------------Willow Warbler
Reed Warbler------------------Little Owl
Kingfisher

ED RES:
Nuthatch calling

MOORS:
G C Grebe (4 + 2chicks)-------Little Grebe (6 + 1 chick)
Common Tern (4 + 2 chicks)---Teal (4)
Cormorant (1)-----------------Greylag Goose (14)

Des.

Today's Nuthatch takes the August list up to 80 species. Has anyone seen any of the following (I suspect the answer is "yes" in a few cases):

Shelduck, Shoveler, Pheasant, Skylark, Grey Wagtail, Mistle Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Chaffinch, Jay, Raven

I've just finished reading the 2012 annual report. It's a really informative booklet with some great pics and stats. I'm only 6 months into my first birding year so it gives a great insight into what to expect and what to look out for over the next 6 months.
Well done and thanks to Phil and the others involved.
Cheers
Rich

Today's Nuthatch takes the August list up to 80 species. Has anyone seen any of the following (I suspect the answer is "yes" in a few cases):

Shelduck, Shoveler, Pheasant, Skylark, Grey Wagtail, Mistle Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Chaffinch, Jay, Raven

long-tailed tit - a family party with juveniles between bridge and feeding station on the 1st

yes - long t tit, goldcrest, jay, chaffinch

Early morning live update from the Flashes. Arrived at 5,45am it was misty and cool. The juv cuckoo was agsin calling from the top of the steps and being fed by reed warblers. I opened the sluice fully, the current level is 0.43 and the optimum August level should be 0,42. To freshen up things I will leave the sluice open for 6 hours. This should expose some wet mud to attract passage waderA little egret was roosting by the shelduck box. There is a noticeable influx of teal , this should increase our chance of a garganey. Species count;
Little egret. Teal 20. Shoveler 1 . mallard 140 10 of which were feeding in the north field.
Snipe 1. Gren sand 6. Common sand 1. LRP juv. Lapwing 94. Curlew 9.
Greylag10.. Cuckuu juv. 2 kingfisher chasing each other over the fields.
Speak to you later.B :)

Late evening (7,30) at the Hen Brook footbridge.............willow tit with mixed tit/warbler flock; three goldcrests being fed by parent, juv willow warbler, chiffchaff; nuthatch flew over.

Flashes
Several hundred black headed gulls. No sign of common or Med. Few LBB's.
Three green sandpipers, two curlew, later one. Half a dozen lapwing

Had a response from the scheme co-ordinator regarding the colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit present at the Flashes in late July; will post details tonight.

willow tit seen today moving from hen brook hide area towards the sailing pool with a flock of Great tits

Will update later with full review of my visit.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of passerines along the west hedgerow to the right of the hide.
Moving on from the main Flashes hide at about 8am, I realised where all the hedgerow birds had gone to. They were in the grassy scrub in front of the bench, this area is between the two Flashes hides. Some of it can be viewed from the 1st Flash hide.
There was a good selection of birds there and in the feeding station:
lesser whitethroat 2, whitethroat juv, blackcap, sedge warbler 2, reed warbler several, willow warbler, chiffchaff 3, House sparrow 1, reed bunting 10, greenfinch 10, bullfinch 3, goldfinch 2, many tits.

Onto the bridge scrub, here at least 1 cuckoo continually called,also goldcrest, 4 chiffchaff,

Added to the early update, other totals this AM.
curlew 21, common sand 3, greylag 22, common tern,

Moors late AM early PM

Again a bit of time spent at the North Moors. There was a turn over of species since Tuesday. no whitethroat or lesser whitethroat. But more blackcaps all juvs. A few sedge warblers also have appeared and both the last two species were probably migrants.

Onto the east hide:
GCG all 3 chicks are doing well. The little grebe chicks - 2 on Broadmeadow and 3 in the scrape are all good.
At least 75 tufted duck chicks continue to survive and all 7 gadwall chicks are now fledged. also 2 teal and 40 lapwing. The 2 common tern chicks have suddenly got 'greyer' they have lost most of their brown plumage in 2 days.
A 3rd cuckoo is now being fed by reed warblers.

Flashes again this afternoon

Spent the afternoon with Rich (skeleton man). We staked out the feeding station, but no show from the willow tit. After a while I topped up the feeders and closed off the sluice. While filling the feeders, Rich whistled me to tell me the willow tit was on show. And there it was 6 feet away from me. Richard later told me he had a picture of 2 'tits' in the same frame - and one was a willow tit, he would't tell what or who ? the other one was8-P.
I then moved on to the main hide to check on how much mud 8 hours of opening the sluice had exposed. Just past the bench I scanned into the southern corner of our hedgerow, to see a male Redstart drop off a post onto the ground. It flew back onto the post and then disappeared behind the hedge.
I couldn't relocate it from the hide, but on the way back 2 clouded yellows flew across the field. :gn:

I saw 67 species at least today

Last edited:
Juv Cuckoo

Walked along the Flashes path this afternoon and bumped into Vern and others watching the Redstart. Shared the hide with a grasshopper then got some excellent shots of a juvenile Cuckoo from the board-walk, Alex

Attachments

• Grasshopper as.jpg
    Grasshopper as.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Cuckoo 13 aug juv 1s.jpg
    Cuckoo 13 aug juv 1s.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Cuckoo 13 aug juv 2s.jpg
    Cuckoo 13 aug juv 2s.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Cuckoo 13 aug juv 3s.jpg
    Cuckoo 13 aug juv 3s.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 70
had a good afternoon on the mecca
took a few shots today not many but had the clouded yellow butterfly and the spotted flycatcher thanks to gaz (Biking Birder) got a few snaps of the juv cuckoo cant seem to upload snaps as yet but i have put one of the clouded yellow on my flickr if you wish to see it links underneath. i will try again later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back