• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

And if it was you checking passes etc then thanks a lot for your warm welcome and also thanks to those in the hide who were all very friendly - It was great to be surrounded by such enthusiasm for what was a cracking bird.....Is Upton better than Brandon tho? ;)

Yes as I told you and your female friend /wife / sister /daughter/girlfriend;)
but Brandon is good as well albeit in a different way to upton.
nice to have met you
B :)john

As it is a quiet time at work I went down to Upton this afternoon but found it surprisingly empty of visitors. I had the Flashes hide all to myself. Apart from the thriving young avocets and LRPs there was at least one other LRP egg being incubated. In addition there were about 5 green sandpipers and some curlews.

At the Moors there was a black-tailed godwit but because of the position of the sun by the time I got there I wasn't able to distinguish it from any other type of godwit. We saw a mother great-crested grebe carrying her young chick on her back and we all thought "aaaah".

Such a peaceful afternoon.

Popped down to Upton this evening for the Blackwit, which showed nicely in front of the east hide on the moors, along with a Green Sandpiper. There's also a Common Sand (seen by Mike) but I missed that one.

I was surprised to see only one Avocet left on the flashes but there were two more Green Sands over there. Three juvenile LRP's still.

A new uncaged LRP nest could be particularly vulnerable as there was both a Fox and a Badger sniffing around inside the fence between 2nd and 3rd flashes.

22 Curlews came in to roost and a Peregrine landed on one of the masts as I left.

Just seen on Worcesterbirding - 7 Avocets at Branston Pits, Staffs this evening (including 3 Juveniles) - surely must be our birds!:t:

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon there was a series of visits by a Hobby at the Moors pool, entertained myself and Rob for a couple of hours.

A Heron was making a god almighty racket right in front of the concrete hide, this was followed by every BH Gull on the pool arriving and creating havoc. We speculated for a good 15 minutes as to what was going on.

Curiosity was satiated when a Mink swam right in front of us towing a freshly killed Heron, what a sight.
This morning at 6.40 am an Otter showed for 20mins fishing and giving superb views.

Mike.

Curiosity was satiated when a Mink swam right in front of us towing a freshly killed Heron, what a sight.
This morning at 6.40 am an Otter showed for 20mins fishing and giving superb views.

Mike.

I wonder if that's what happened to the Bittern! These American Mink are a real threat to our natives and must be got rid of IMO.

Nice one re the Otter, though - wish I'd seen that myself.:t:

It might be a good idea to hire a marksman as the Mink is probably causing havoc on the reserve along with the fox.

I know that other Wildlife Trusts use them particularly when its getting personal and birds, eggs and young are predated on. I once sat in a hide on a trust reserve up north looking out at sea and watching Sandwich Terns on the sands before me when a marksman walked in with his gun :eek!: This was to protect a large colony of gulls. the reserve was locked down on this occassion with me in it!!

Dean:t:

It might be a good idea to hire a marksman as the Mink is probably causing havoc on the reserve along with the fox.

I know that other Wildlife Trusts use them particularly when its getting personal and birds, eggs and young are predated on. I once sat in a hide on a trust reserve up north looking out at sea and watching Sandwich Terns on the sands before me when a marksman walked in with his gun :eek!: This was to protect a large colony of gulls. the reserve was locked down on this occassion with me in it!!

Its something that we would like to see happen ie shot. But I have heard the PC brigade say well that's nature.:cat:

Not in my world it aint:C

Anyway on a more positive note.
Visited the Moors today where I saw Common Sand and a first summer Hobby very brown bird loitering for a while.
The two common tern chicks are doing well in the floating raft.
Unfortunately all 6 of the common terns and the avocet have abandoned the breeding island, but the BHG colony appears to be still intact.

At the Flashes I have 'caged' the LRP this is the pair that has already fledged 2 young and is now on its second brood a very rare event at Upton.
Also seen were 3 Avocets all adults, family party of 3 Oystercatchers, 5 Green Sands, 6 Curlew ,Black tailed godwit, 20 lapwing and 8 LRP.
Also Hobby, 2 male Teal, and 4 Common Tern.
B :)John

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to hire a marksman as the Mink is probably causing havoc on the reserve along with the fox. I know that other Wildlife Trusts use them particularly when its getting personal and birds, eggs and young are predated on. I once sat in a hide on a trust reserve up north looking out at sea and watching Sandwich Terns on the sands before me when a marksman walked in with his gun :eek!: This was to protect a large colony of gulls. the reserve was locked down on this occassion with me in it!!

Personally, I agree with you (and john) that targeted control of predators is a pragmatic solution (others will, no doubt, disagree). Just to illustrate our problem at UW, lets look at the (approximate) statistics for this year so far:

Avocets - 7+ nest attempts - 1 success (3 fledged)
Redshank - 2+ nest attempts - complete failure
Lapwings - 5+ nest attempts - complete failure
Oystercatcher - 3 nest attempts - 1 success (just 1 fledged)
LRP - 8+ attempts - 1 success (2 fledged and 2 remaining on eggs)
Common Tern - 6+ attempts (1 successful so far - 2 chicks remaining)

This year we have been blessed with comparatively good weather which makes this season's breeding success particularly disappointing. We know from previous years that this is significantly below par for what can be achieved. The LRP success, however, is cause for some celebration as it is the first success for this species for 6 years! Lapwings, however, may disappear as a local breeding species unless we see an upturn.:eek!:

On a more positive note Upton Warren is featured as a recommended site in the current Birdwatching magazine: 'As well known to Midlands birders as any reserve, this superb wetland is one of the best places to visit ...'.

Exactly.

Peter

On a more positive note Upton Warren is featured as a recommended site in the current Birdwatching magazine: 'As well known to Midlands birders as any reserve, this superb wetland is one of the best places to visit ...'.

Exactly.

Peter

It is encouraging to note that outside perception is a 'superb wetland' and long may it be so. However, we mustn't be complacent - our success is hard-fought and reliant on the continuing loyal support of a couple of dozen ageing (sorry!) contributors who give their free time to the upkeep of this unique inland reserve. We consistantly punch above our weight in terms of local rarity highlights. Our future success will be determined by those who devote their time and efforts to developing the potential of these few cherished acres - an oasis in the sterile surrounding desert of farmland. If we all pitch in I'm sure things will only improve further. We all look forward to next year's breeding successes so let's not be too negative :t:

Quote by Woodchat.
"I wonder if that's what happened to the Bittern!"

That is a very sobering thought and one that I hadn't considered. I'm firmly in the camp of those who advocate controlling invasive predators.

I also photographed a carrion crow, landing on the large island in front of the east hide.
It picked up a mallard egg and flew off unchallenged.

I returned yesterday afternoon and just missed the otter which fished right in front of the concrete hide, catching a large Eel and it was apparently a fantastic sight. Consolation was another visit by the Hobby.

Mike

Quote by Woodchat.
"I wonder if that's what happened to the Bittern!"

That is a very sobering thought and one that I hadn't considered. I'm firmly in the camp of those who advocate controlling invasive predators.

I also photographed a carrion crow, landing on the large island in front of the east hide.
It picked up a mallard egg and flew off unchallenged.

I returned yesterday afternoon and just missed the otter which fished right in front of the concrete hide, catching a large Eel and it was apparently a fantastic sight. Consolation was another visit by the Hobby.

Mike
Hi Mike
The theory that otters will force mink out of an area is not holding true in this case. To catch a heron is some feat I suppose when you think herons take lots of chicks it might be perceived as a blessing in disguise but herons are indigenous so that is part of the natural cycle.
If this is the male mink regularly seen on the causeway it is apparently a very large individual and might be too aggressive for otters.

At this time of year we should be seeing water rail young/juvs hopefully the mink is not devastating that species.:-C

It is encouraging to note that outside perception is a 'superb wetland' and long may it be so. However, we mustn't be complacent - our success is hard-fought and reliant on the continuing loyal support of a couple of dozen ageing (sorry!) contributors who give their free time to the upkeep of this unique inland reserve. We consistantly punch above our weight in terms of local rarity highlights. Our future success will be determined by those who devote their time and efforts to developing the potential of these few cherished acres - an oasis in the sterile surrounding desert of farmland. If we all pitch in I'm sure things will only improve further. We all look forward to next year's breeding successes so let's not be too negative :t:

Like Dave alluded to we are all volunteers and you have to take the rough with the smooth.
However our intervention normally results in a more positive outcome but unforeseen setbacks can occur and its at such times that we rise to the challenge. You do get temporally affected by lost nests and chicks but rather than give up and walk away we come back fighting.
But in this situation where predators are the problem we have to look for professional intervention.
The fox fence will have to be strengthened, the mink will have to be trapped and grasslands will have to be grazed. Apart from that we manage the rest of the reserve so hopefully with the massive increase in membership we will get more volunteers when we start again in September.:t:
But believe me the thrill of creating habitat that is utilised by birds(and other wildlife) makes it all worthwhile. - any thoughts and ideas on any aspect of upton's future management are welcome, if too controversial then send a private message to Dave (woodchat) or myself.

The hobby (a very distinguished individual with brown upper-wing coverts - 1st Sum?) showed brilliantly on the moors this afternoon catching dragonflies. These included Emperors and Broad-bodied Chasers. A Common Whitethroat sang from the south of the west hide. On the flashes, the Black-tailed Godwit showed well and 5 Green Sandpipers were also present. Avocets were conspicuous by their absence today. Still 3 juv LRP's though. Just one Marbled White flew amongst the burgeoning Knapweeds and one or two small skippers and Meadow Browns danced in front of the hide. As we left, we saw a Brown Hawker near the steps. All great mid-summer fayre.

Last edited:
The hobby (a very distinguished individual with brown uw coverts - 1st Sum?) showed brilliantly on the moors this afternoon catching dragonflies. These included Emperors and Broad-bodied Chasers. A Common Whitethroat sang from the south of the west hide. On the flashes, the Black-tailed Godwit showed well and 5 Green Sandpipers were also present. Avocets were conspicuous by their absence today. Still 3 juv LRP's though. Just one Marbled White flew amongst the burgeoning Knapweeds and one or two small skippers and Meadow Browns danced in front of the hide. As we left, we saw a Brown Hawker near the steps. All great mid-summer fayre.

nothing to add really, the godwit was showing nicely with a scope in the evening light, but 8 curlew(including 2 with very short bills) came into roost by 9:35, the HOBBY flew over east at 9:40.
2 of the 5 green sands must have flew out between the time i was there and the time dave was there because there was only 3 then 2 flew in from the south(watched coming in from affar), a pair of common tern were competing with a BHG for one of the tern rafts at the flashes too.;)
was quite humerous when a Grey heron decided it wanted to fish on the road on the causeway at the moors, untill a car flushed it onto the north moors that is :)
MB

At this time of year we should be seeing water rail young/juvs hopefully the mink is not devastating that species.:-C

One Juv Water Rail was outside the West hide for a while on the Moors a couple of nights back. On infact what turned out to be a very late night as we ended up mothing until about 1.30am and if it hadn't been for work the next day and leadng a bat walk on the next night it would have been later still.

Mind you the better half did get an idea of why 'I'm popping down to Upton for a quick visit' is often nothing like a quick visit!

nothing to add really, the godwit was showing nicely with a scope in the evening light, but 8 curlew(including 2 with very short bills) came into roost by 9:35, the HOBBY flew over east at 9:40.
2 of the 5 green sands must have flew out between the time i was there and the time dave was there because there was only 3 then 2 flew in from the south(watched coming in from affar), a pair of common tern were competing with a BHG for one of the tern rafts at the flashes too.;)
was quite humerous when a Grey heron decided it wanted to fish on the road on the causeway at the moors, untill a car flushed it onto the north moors that is :)
MB
Hi Craig there is a good chance they could have been Juveniles if the bills were particularly straight as well . I have seen more juvs at upton in the last 3 years than the previous 30, whether they are locally bred or not is another matter.

Godwits and Garganeys

Got the five summer plumaged Icelandic Blackwits on the Moors late morning. 1 Green Sandpiper and 1 Common Sand there too. A Nuthatch called from the barn conversion gardens.

On the flashes, my attention was drawn to the striking face pattern on one of the small dabbling ducks - I immediately thought Garganey! Not wanting to risk messing up the ID, I was cautious about putting news out and decided to scrutinise the bird further - obvious whitish supercillium, all-grey bill, white loral spot - eventually it flapped its wings - Bingo! - pale grey forewing and black/white speculum - an eclipse male Garganey. Andy Warr had joined me by this point and said, "hang on, I think I've got another" - a female duck that'd been asleep with its head in its back had woken up and showed a very similar head pattern - it was a female Garganey. Getting a pair at Upton today was particularly gratifying as they're the first for UW this year and it's a species that has been scarce in Worcestershire this year with only 2 or 3 reported this spring.

Other birds on the flashes included 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Green Sands, 1 Common Sand and 2 Redshanks. A very rewarding visit.

Attachments

• Eclipse Drake Garganey UW 270610.jpg
    Eclipse Drake Garganey UW 270610.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Blackwit Moors 270610.JPG
    Blackwit Moors 270610.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Broad-bodied Chaser.JPG
    Broad-bodied Chaser.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Blue-tailed Damselfly UW270610.jpg
    Blue-tailed Damselfly UW270610.jpg