• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Got the five summer plumaged Icelandic Blackwits on the Moors late morning. 1 Green Sandpiper and 1 Common Sand there too. A Nuthatch called from the barn conversion gardens.

On the flashes, my attention was drawn to the striking face pattern on one of the small dabbling ducks - I immediately thought Garganey! Not wanting to risk messing up the ID, I was cautious about putting news out and decided to scrutinise the bird further - obvious whitish supercillium, all-grey bill, white loral spot - eventually it flapped its wings - Bingo! - pale grey forewing and black/white speculum - an eclipse male Garganey. Andy Warr had joined me by this point and said, "hang on, I think I've got another" - a female duck that'd been asleep with its head in its back had woken up and showed a very similar head pattern - it was a female Garganey. Getting a pair at Upton today was particularly gratifying as they're the first for UW this year and it's a species that has been scarce in Worcestershire this year with only 2 or 3 reported this spring.

Other birds on the flashes included 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Green Sands, 1 Common Sand and 2 Redshanks. A very rewarding visit.

well what can i say, a bit of dirty twitching had me get all these birds, but the garganeys were asleap for all but a minuite in our short stop at the flashes, the male flashed his forewing twice and the female just didnt wake up.
a HOBBY (adult) was seen on the moors, which flew into the eddy
and 4 teal (1 drk) at the flashes
MB

Hi Craig there is a good chance they could have been Juveniles if the bills were particularly straight as well . I have seen more juvs at upton in the last 3 years than the previous 30, whether they are locally bred or not is another matter.
B :)John

hey john,
yeah, presumed then were juv because their plumage was immaculate with no feather wear at all,
the bills tho, were far from straight(ish) they were strongly curved and quite odd looking, just a good thing they didnt have a bold head pattern :)
MB

Great to hear about water rail. Whilst waiting in the cold early mornings back in February/ March for a certain Bittern to show on the small pool i was priviliged to see a pair of water rail mating. I got some rather dodgy pics but it wasnt quite light so i just stored them in my files. Dennis

Attachments

• water rail mating 1.jpg
    water rail mating 1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 70
  • water rail mating 2.jpg
    water rail mating 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 63
Great to hear about water rail. Whilst waiting in the cold early mornings back in February/ March for a certain Bittern to show on the small pool i was priviliged to see a pair of water rail mating. I got some rather dodgy pics but it wasnt quite light so i just stored them in my files. Dennis

Dennis a bit cold for that behaviour:-O
Mating that early makes it possible to have 2 broods which they do.
B :)john

After the Footy:C went to see the Garganey which were feeding in the first flash shallows. They later fed in the 'saucer' area (the shallow muddy saucer shaped area left of the promontory that is in front of hide).

The 1st summer Black Tailed Godwit fed frenetically in the old channel, where there seemed to be enough food for the 5 other blackwits on the moors. With no Avocets to chase them off it seems strange they didn't come on to the Flashes or maybe they didn't see it. Did anybody see them feeding on Amy's marsh?

The LRP flock had built up to 13 (3 juvs) by 10pm proving there is constant passage at this time of year. (13 last Sunday, 8 on 25th June).
The Green Sands reached 6 late on roosting and feeding in muddy channels in front of hide.
The 2 pairs of common terns are trying to muscle in on the BHG nesting in the new 'boxes'.

other waders present were 33 Lapwing, oystercatcher, common sand, 2 redshank, 5 curlew.
Plenty of reed warblers were hunting the myriads of hatching insects. A pair of Lesser whitethroat were singing and feeding around the main hide late on and a skylark again sang behind the hide.
worryingly at least 5 grey herons were patrolling the shallows on the look out for an easy meal and were constantly bombarded by BHG and common terns. 180 BHG roosted with many juveniles swelling their ranks.

Last edited:
Dennis a bit cold for that behaviour:-O
Mating that early makes it possible to have 2 broods which they do.

Do you mean my behaviour or theirs? looking at the file info the pics were taken on 15th Feb. I remember him doing his sharming act and then chasing up the channel in front of the hide and then doing what comes naturally. Dennis

Do you mean my behaviour or theirs? looking at the file info the pics were taken on 15th Feb. I remember him doing his sharming act and then chasing up the channel in front of the hide and then doing what comes naturally. Dennis

Dennis - Yours of course you should be wrapped up with a cup of hot chocolate in front of a fire in those temperatures ( -10 degrees) rather than taking photos:-O:-O:
:t:John

After the Footy:C went to see the Garganey which were feeding in the first flash shallows. They later fed in the 'saucer' area (the shallow muddy saucer shaped area left of the promontory that is in front of hide).

The 1st summer Black Tailed Godwit fed frenetically in the old channel, where there seemed to be enough food for the 5 other blackwits on the moors. With no Avocets to chase them off it seems strange they didn't come on to the Flashes or maybe they didn't see it. Did anybody see them feeding on Amy's marsh?
The LRP flock had built up to 13 (3 juvs) by 10pm proving there is constant passage at this time of year. (13 last Sunday, 8 on 25th June).
The Green Sands reached 6 late on roosting and feeding in muddy channels in front of hide.
The 2 pairs of common terns are trying to muscle in on the BHG nesting in the new 'boxes'.

other waders present were 33 Lapwing, oystercatcher, common sand, 2 redshank, 5 curlew.
Plenty of reed warblers were hunting the myriads of hatching insects. A pair of Lesser whitethroat were singing and feeding around the main hide late on and a skylark again sang behind the hide.
worryingly at least 5 grey herons were patrolling the shallows on the look out for an easy meal and were constantly bombarded by BHG and common terns. 180 BHG roosted with many juveniles swelling their ranks.

yeah while we were there they didnt stop feeding in the shallows to the left of the east island, only stopping to take flight with the lapwings when the hobby flew through:t:
MB

yeah while we were there they didnt stop feeding in the shallows to the left of the east island, only stopping to take flight with the lapwings when the hobby flew through:t:
MB

Cheers Craig
Saturday and Sunday mate:eek!:
What next Monday to Friday mind you school hols coming up I expect to see you finding a mega for us....and work parties Sunday's maybe..... eh mate8-P

What a difference a Year makes

On this day last year 27th June 2009 the water level at the Flashes was ideal at 0.42
and the waders present were:- Avocet 13, Black Tailed Godwit 2, LRP 8, Lapwing 36, Green Sand 11, Curlew 10

This year 27th June the water level is 0.38 (4 cm lower than 2009)
and the waders present were:- Redshank 2, Black Tailed Godwit, LRP 13, Lapwing 33, Green Sand 6, Common Sand, Curlew 6, Oystercatcher,

The first phot shows the extent of mud in 2009 and the 2nd photo 2010
the extra water in the near channels (2010) is as a result a work party de-silting .At the present rate of evaporation the 2nd Flash will be extremely low by mid July.

Attachments

• B jun 27 -10.jpg
    B jun 27 -10.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
  • c - 27th Jun10.jpg
    c - 27th Jun10.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 62
On this day last year 27th June 2009 the water level at the Flashes was ideal at 0.42
and the waders present were:- Avocet 13, Black Tailed Godwit 2, LRP 8, Lapwing 36, Green Sand 11, Curlew 10

This year 27th June the water level is 0.38 (4 cm lower than 2009)
and the waders present were:- Redshank 2, Black Tailed Godwit, LRP 13, Lapwing 33, Green Sand 6, Common Sand, Curlew 6, Oystercatcher,

The first phot shows the extent of mud in 2009 and the 2nd photo 2010
the extra water in the near channels (2010) is as a result a work party de-silting .At the present rate of evaporation the 2nd Flash will be extremely low by mid July.

can i just say, that this number is NOT an acurate representation, on sunday an immense flock of 18!!!!! was at the back of the flashes, i no your going on about 2day, but you know, always good to get these things in;)
interesting comments though
MB

Finally finished all my exams today so naturally down to Upton I went.

Unfortunately there were no Garganey present at the Flashes but the young Black-tailed Godwit was still around along with 9 Green Sandpipers, 1 Curlew and 10 LRP.

At the Moors after stopping to admire the Bee and Pyramidal Orchids on the causeway (why are there no photos of these or have I just missed them?) An eclipse Shoveler was on the North Moors and another in front of the East hide, 3 Gadwall and a singing Chiffchaff were the other highlights.

Just good too be back!

Cheers Craig
Saturday and Sunday mate:eek!:
What next Monday to Friday mind you school hols coming up I expect to see you finding a mega for us....and work parties Sunday's maybe..... eh mate8-P

i know like OMG, is getting weekly now

yes i get the hint, i'll see what i can do :)

so whats it gonna be lads??????, yank, sibe, pacific, oceanic;)
MB
(yes i no oceanic iz spewt rong)

Since you asked this was taken a couple of weeks ago.

However I've no real idea about attaching photos so this may be a complete disaster!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 58
Roger,

A great picture. Forgive my ignorance but which orchid is this?

Peter

Thanks Peter, When I taught my one of my 'mottos' was: If you ask you might look ignorant for a moment: don't ask and you remain ignorant for ever'!

It is one of the Bee orchids on the North side of the Moors Pools causeway.

(Now someone will post to say that it's not a bee orchid!!)

Just taken delivery of a macro lens from the 'For Sale' thread and intend to pop down to UW to try it out!

Just before I go out:

Thought I had one of these. Taken from the East Moors hide so cropped quite a bit.

Now I've found out how to post pictures there 'aint no stopping me now'!

Tell me when it gets boring - my family do!

Hope this is a Pyramidal Orchid.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 60
Roger,

Thanks for the speedy post (and another terrific photo). As one who still teaches I appreciate a well-illustrated answer.

Peter

Just before I go out:

Thought I had one of these. Taken from the East Moors hide so cropped quite a bit.

Now I've found out how to post pictures there 'aint no stopping me now'!

Tell me when it gets boring - my family do!

Hope this is a Pyramidal Orchid.

Cheers for the photos Roger, your last photo is actually a Common Spotted Orchid which are all in front of the East Hide.

The pyramidal is on the causeway a little more towards the paddocks than most of the Bee orchids. (could be wrong but this is what Gordon was telling us yesterday)

Here's a link to a photo of a Pyramidal http://teesvalleybiodiversity.org.uk/photos/pyramidal_orchid.jpg

The pyramidal is on the causeway a little more towards the paddocks than most of the Bee orchids. (could be wrong but this is what Gordon was telling us yesterday)

Gordon is right about where it is, the better half has taken pictures of it which sadly I haven't got access to at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back