• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (105 Viewers)

Phil
Thanks for number.
Question if I may? Most little rings seem to read please phone either British Museum or owner in case of racing pigeons. This ring obviously has a purpose but if the bird has a unique number on the darvic what purpose does this one serve and why? Okay that's 2 questions!

Thanks
Phil E

One for the ringers I'm afraid Phil - I suspect the metal ring is a general BTO ring across schemes / species whilst the colour ring is unique to this programme. Sounds plausible?

Will I breach any rules/ protocols by publishing pics of the avocet chick hatching? Despite the up close and personal views the pics were shot from the hide using very powerful gear and does not directly identify the position of the nest, unless you know where it is already. Also shows the eggs.
Thanks
Phil E

The gallery guidelines indicate it is not permitted - http://www.birdforum.net/help/Gallery_Guidelines - but a PM direct to one the mods (Delia Todd and postcardcv are both online) should clarify

Rings and Nests

Thanks Phil for the info.

As you say one for the ringers. Most BTO rings I've found refer you to a Brit museum phone number; in short you'll only likely contact them if you find the bird injured or dead.

Recalling the local ringed cetti it was done with coloured rings linked to a local ringing scheme I presume. Increasingly a large number of LBBs are being ringed with little metal rings with numbers on. I guess the same thing applies as for the BTO rings except no phone number obviously.
Again a question for the ringers.

Re the nest hatching pics I've read another part of the forum which suggests it might be possible.
Anyway will respect the forum and not post.

Will contact an administrator and check.
With the advent of high powered scopes and cameras the means to take these pics is increasingly improving everyday and without the birds even knowing they have been photographed. ( Heck the partner nearly flattened the chick by standing on it.. or was it perhaps a rival.)

Last edited:
BHG x Med Gull

Not being picky honest Phil.o:)

Sy V termed it a BHG x Med query and both Lou and Brian have suggested it as that in response.
Might recording it as a Med x BHG be a slip of the fingers.o:D There is a difference I think. Okay so I only have a small brain!

Phil E

Not being picky honest Phil.o:)

Sy V termed it a BHG x Med query and both Lou and Brian have suggested it as that in response.
Might recording it as a Med x BHG be a slip of the fingers.o:D There is a difference I think. Okay so I only have a small brain!

Phil E

You are right - there is a difference although I am not sure how you tell which parent was the Med

The gallery guidelines indicate it is not permitted - http://www.birdforum.net/help/Gallery_Guidelines - but a PM direct to one the mods (Delia Todd and postcardcv are both online) should clarify

Phil and others generally - contacted an administrator and pointed to the appropriate thread where the reasons were given for the blanket ban. Won't argue with any of it.
So sadly they remain in my collection. Don't do Flikr etc and I guess if there are fools about I shouldn't encourage them by posting there either. Even if I do make it very clear how far away I was.
Phil

All chicks doing well. That's GCG 1. Shoveler 8. gadwall 5. lapwing 1. oystercatchers 2.common tern 5. lesser whitethroat 2. also Otter on moors. Common tern 10. raven.

At the Flashes this afternoon.
Teal 4, shelduck 2 + 7 almost fully grown chicks. tufted 12 + 6 chicks c 10 days old at least on 1st Flash.
Avocet 44 - 47 + 1 chick in south saucer area.
Lapwing 40, Oystercatcher 2 + chick now in between 2nd and 3rd Flash. LRP 4, Green Sand in delta, Hybrid MedxBHG.
House martin 35,

A few pics from today
1. Shoveler + 8 chicks Moors
2. Tufted + 6 chicks 1st Flash.
3. Avocet with 2 day old chick
4. Lapwing chick Amy's marsh on East bank
5. Common Tern on raft plus 2 chicks one half the size of its sibling.

Attachments

• twitter shov plus  chiks DSCF8319.jpg
    twitter shov plus chiks DSCF8319.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 86
  • tufted broods DSCF8356.jpg
    tufted broods DSCF8356.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 67
  • twitter avos ch DSCF8364.jpg
    twitter avos ch DSCF8364.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Twitter lapw ch DSCF8324.jpg
    Twitter lapw ch DSCF8324.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 67
  • twitter tern raft DSCF8291.jpg
    twitter tern raft DSCF8291.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 83
beat our previous two weeks Sunday afternoon count by 2,highlight Barnacle goose came in with 4 Canada geese on moors also pretty green sand at the flashes.Record photos only hopefully someone will post better ones later.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    777.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    565.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    878.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 85
John Oates from Marsh Lane visited Upton this afternoon and had a migrant juv LRP. He also stated that the 1st summer Med looked like the same bird that was at Marsh lane last week.

Moors Pool, Flashes and Salwarpe

Moors Pool:-
The Lapwing chick and at least one Oyc. chick are still present. One pair of Oyc's were displaying and mated several times.

Flashes:-
There were at least six LRP's including 2 full grown juvs.

Salwarpe:-
Despite several of the Wych Elms having died there were 6 or 7 White Letter Hairstreaks around the normal bushes, at the Swan end of the path. Also 1 or 2 Marbled Whites in the same area.

Attachments

• 7D2_008167.jpg
    7D2_008167.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 105
  • 7D2_008215.jpg
    7D2_008215.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back