• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (120 Viewers)

Today at the Birdery

What ever next - the mating pair of oycs were seen to be doing it in front of their child. I kid you not:eek!:
1 greensand at Moors and 1 at the Flashes. Whether it's the same one I wouldn't like to surmise.
Oyc and chick at flashes doing well along sewage works side.
8 curlew on sewage works side for part of the afternoon before flying off.
Barnacle goose in with flock of canadas happily swimming around the sailing pool.
Good day at both places , good company and an interesting discussion. ;)
And there is hopefully one more avocet chick to hatch.
Phil E

Nice article in the new-look WMBC quarterly bulletin regarding the Spring All-Dayer from a Belvide perspective written by Steve Nuttall :t:

There is also a short article regarding an all-dayer done by nine Warwickshire sites on the 9th May. Locations included Draycote Water, Brandon Marsh, Ladywalk, Salford Priors, Earlswood and Morton Bagot; top score was 84 species by the Lower Tame Valley sites of Ladywalk, Coton Pools and Shustoke Res. It would be nice if next year we could all be taking part on the same date so there was a comparison across the West Midlands; not sure who co-ordinates the Warwickshire event (Matt G?)

Talking of All-Dayers, we need to fix a date for the Autumn event. I suspect the starting point will be Saturday 5th September - anyone strongly prefer to go a week earlier (the Bank Holiday) or a week later?

Moors Pool:-
The Lapwing chick and at least one Oyc. chick are still present. One pair of Oyc's were displaying and mated several times.

Flashes:-
There were at least six LRP's including 2 full grown juvs.

Salwarpe:-
Despite several of the Wych Elms having died there were 6 or 7 White Letter Hairstreaks around the normal bushes, at the Swan end of the path. Also 1 or 2 Marbled Whites in the same area.

Hi where is the Swan end of the path I'm also a butterfly as a birdwatching fan thanks cliff

Happy Days

Work party of 2 at the homestead. Coffee break time. No cake though:C

Pics from yesterday
1 A greensand at the Moors
2 and 3 a greensand seen at the Flashes
4 MeerKat-- oops-- BHGs on duty
5 Lapwing in the sun.

Phil E

Attachments

• P4190458x.jpg
    P4190458x.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P4190652x.jpg
    P4190652x.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P4190755x.jpg
    P4190755x.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P4190714x.jpg
    P4190714x.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 62
  • P4190722x.jpg
    P4190722x.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 48
Work party of 2 at the homestead. Coffee break time. No cake though:C

Pics from yesterday
1 A greensand at the Moors
2 and 3 a greensand seen at the Flashes
4 MeerKat-- oops-- BHGs on duty
5 Lapwing in the sun.

Phil E

Sorry you should not have commenced the workparty...it is an H and S violation NOT to have the necessary CAKES.......:t:

Yesterday at the Moors:

1. Heron at back of Broadmeadow

2. Oystercatcher courtship - Snipe Island
3. Oystercatchers mating
4. Junior comes to join them

Attachments

• IMG_2504a.jpg
    IMG_2504a.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2623a.jpg
    IMG_2623a.jpg
    912.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2624a.jpg
    IMG_2624a.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2631a.jpg
    IMG_2631a.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 48
Sailing Pool & Flashes:

1. New version of 'where's Wally' - find the Barnacle amongst the Canadas
2. Barnacle Goose

3. The latest Avocet family venture forth under the watchful eye of one parent whilst the other parent incubates the final egg.
4. Oystercatcher chick growing well - in front of third flash
5. My ditty runs out at 10 magpies - there are 11 here, mostly juveniles.

Attachments

• IMG_2656a.jpg
    IMG_2656a.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2648a.jpg
    IMG_2648a.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2759a.jpg
    IMG_2759a.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2705a.jpg
    IMG_2705a.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2732a.jpg
    IMG_2732a.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 50
Nice article in the new-look WMBC quarterly bulletin regarding the Spring All-Dayer from a Belvide perspective written by Steve Nuttall :t:

There is also a short article regarding an all-dayer done by nine Warwickshire sites on the 9th May. Locations included Draycote Water, Brandon Marsh, Ladywalk, Salford Priors, Earlswood and Morton Bagot; top score was 84 species by the Lower Tame Valley sites of Ladywalk, Coton Pools and Shustoke Res. It would be nice if next year we could all be taking part on the same date so there was a comparison across the West Midlands; not sure who co-ordinates the Warwickshire event (Matt G?)

Talking of All-Dayers, we need to fix a date for the Autumn event. I suspect the starting point will be Saturday 5th September - anyone strongly prefer to go a week earlier (the Bank Holiday) or a week later?

Hi Phil,

I was talking to John Belsey last week suggesting that the last week in August would have better potential. Departing summer migrants are easier to come by and wader passage should be ok.
I'm happy to go with the flow, just my thoughts and appreciate some might not be able to make that weekend.

Cheers Steve

Moors update. Med Gull 2nd summer. Chicks : GCG. Gadwall 5. lapwing. Oystercatcher 2. Common tern 4. With at least 3. others sitting. . 5. white letter hairstreak

Hi Phil,

I was talking to John Belsey last week suggesting that the last week in August would have better potential. Departing summer migrants are easier to come by and wader passage should be ok.
I'm happy to go with the flow, just my thoughts and appreciate some might not be able to make that weekend.

Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve - any other thoughts out there?

Today on the reserve

MOORS:
GCG 2 + chick, Little grebe 10 ads, greylag 2, mute swan pr + 2 ch, shoveler 3 fems + male (NO CHICKS). shelduck, gadwall 3 + 5 chicks, Mallard 220 ads + several broods most birds were concentrated in the SW marsh. tufted 2 broods of 2:6 on west side + 30 ads.
coot 108 + chicks, water rail north west corner,
Lapwing 18 + juv and our chick, Oytercatcher 4 ads + 2 broods of 1:1 the older chicks is now fully fledged but its left leg is deformed and swollen. common tern 6 pairs 3 sitting and 2 lots of chicks 2:2. Med Gull 2nd summer, herring gull 1, LBBG 5, BHG 80,
buzzard 4, raven, stock dove, green woodp, raven, swallow 2, cettis w 2, reed w 6, sedge w 2, blackcap 2, chiffchaff 3,

North Moors: GCG, oystercatcher on west side,

Sailing pool: GCG juv,

FLASHES: Teal 6, mallard c60 = broods, shelduck 3ads + 7 juvs, tufted c 8 + brood of 6 on 3rd Flash, Avocet 49 + 3x 6 day old chicks, Lapwing 80 no juvs amongst them. Curlew 11, Oystercatcher 2 ads + chick on 3rd Flash shore. LRP 4, green sand. coot c20, stock dove 12, cettis w , staling 20, linnet 5,

Butterflies reported today at Upton Warren (presumably on the reserve) by Stephen Thompson on Twitter comprise Marbled White, Green Hairstreak and Painted Lady.

June closed on a meagre 87 species with missing species including Treecreeper and Peregrine; the year list progressing to 130.

July gives the promise of the start of the return wader passage; potential additions to the year list include Turnstone, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and Yellowhammer

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
  • Emma
Back