• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (133 Viewers)

Cheers John

Great shots Simon, Did you notice the dragonfly just about to attack the kinfisher in pic 3 and pic 4 looks like the kingf got away just in time, from whatever is about to come out of the abyss below it :-O
B :)John

I had noticed the Dragonfly. As soon as i have time there will be more pictures posted, and there are stranger things looming from the abyss! 8-P

Rob Prudden has informed me that the Lower Moor list stands at 193 (very creditable considering the habitat involved) which excludes our controversial friend the Feral Pigeon. The quoted figure of 236 for UW includes said "species". Let the debate continue .....

Apologises for dissing Lower Moor; the patch list is actually 194 (Rob is very possessive about the extra species ...;))

Last edited:
Year List compare ours to RSPB Inner Marsh Farm (below)

And just to keep you listers up to date .... 6 new additions to the year list over the past few weeks

135. Great Crested Grebe - 7th Aug
136. Wood Sandpiper - 8th Aug
137. Tawny Owl - 20th Aug
138. Barnacle Goose - 22nd Aug
139. Little Stint - 2nd Sept
140. Spotted Crake - 2nd Sept

Still need grey wagtail believe it or not, could also do with a black tern, yellowhammer, spotted flycatcher, tree sparrow ...

And just to keep you listers up to date .... 6 new additions to the year list over the past few weeks

135. Great Crested Grebe - 7th Aug
136. Wood Sandpiper - 8th Aug
137. Tawny Owl - 20th Aug
138. Barnacle Goose - 22nd Aug
139. Little Stint - 2nd Sept
140. Spotted Crake - 2nd Sept

Still need grey wagtail believe it or not, could also do with a black tern, yellowhammer, spotted flycatcher, tree sparrow ...

Can we give them a Grey Wag if they give us a Spotted Crake?

Just got back from visit to Flashes, 2 Black-Tailed Godwits reported at @1.30pm today still there at 5.00pm but being chased off by Jackdaws, seen feeding again at5.50pm. Also had one Common Gull with B.H.G.s.

Last edited:
Just got back from visit to Flashes, 2 Black-Tailed Godwits reported at @1.30pm today still there at 5.00pm but being chased off by Jackdaws, seen feeding again at5.50pm. Also had one Common Gull with B.H.G.

Thanks Glen. Jackdaws are a problem harassing waders at the Flashes most autumns but this year they have even more mud to create havoc on.

The Black Tern was still at the Moors Pool this morning, as was the Common Tern. I sat in the hide at the North Moors Pool for over an hour but there was no sign of the Cetti's Warbler. I did get Sedge Warbler from there - a bird I didn't record on the all-dayer - and an adult Water Rail.

The Black Tern was still at the Moors Pool this morning, as was the Common Tern. I sat in the hide at the North Moors Pool for over an hour but there was no sign of the Cetti's Warbler. I did get Sedge Warbler from there - a bird I didn't record on the all-dayer - and an adult Water Rail.

Andy
If I remember rightly, when the last colonized 18 years ago, the original bird went quiet for a while after its initial renditions.B :)John

Today's work at the FLASHES involved digging out (de-silting) wet mud from the channel that links the 1st Flash with the 2nd Flash. This was originally dug out about 20 years ago and is the last channel to dry out when the water is low. Although it is difficult to tell from the photos the channel was dug about 8 inches deep and meanders into the 'central' area. In one area the ditch forms a moat around slightly higher ground, on it was piled the spoil, forming a fairly large island. At the western end of the channel the spoil was barrowed into the 1st Flash and another good sized island created. These islands will later be shored up and shingled. The channel covers about 60 metres from one end to the other, with several meanders and a small scrape we dug out 100 metres in reality.
Many thanks to all the lads, whose enthusiasm today, as always was infectious, so much so that they were prepared to continue to the 3rd Flash, but I had to stop them as I was knackered8-P.
Paul M, Ray C, Dave H, Glenn H (GH-1),Paul H (Beyonder)Terry N, John C, Steve, Matt,
The 3 new lads Paul H, Glenn H ( who has returned after 20 years absence:smoke:) and Matt, will hopefully be back for more.
Photos 1 and 2 show before the work as viewed from 1st Flash Hide and 2nd hide. The same as pic 3 and 4 after the work. pic 5 shows some of the boys.
Oh yes I forgot to say that the water did back flow into the channels and should provide a bit more wader habitat.

Attachments

• b4 wor from1st fl hide 6th sep11.jpg
    b4 wor from1st fl hide 6th sep11.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 82
  • b4 work on chan 6th sep11.jpg
    b4 work on chan 6th sep11.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 82
  • afta wp from 1st hide.jpg
    afta wp from 1st hide.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 87
  • afta wp from 2nd  fl 6th sep11.jpg
    afta wp from 2nd fl 6th sep11.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 93
  • some of the boys.jpg
    some of the boys.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Birding today. While doing the work a greenshank circled calling and later landed at the Moors, joining the 2 winter plumaged adult Black tailed godwits, that were earlier on the Flashes.
After the work, most of the birds returned within the hour. These include 5 Shoveler, 40 Teal, a kingfisher performed throughout my stay. A grey wagtail flew up from the Hen Brook, but many of the passerines stayed low including whitethroat, blackcap, and reed warbler, but surprisingly no chiffchaffs were heard.
A large flock of 100+ swallows over the Moors were attacked by a hobby on several occasions.

At the Moors the Black and Common Tern were still present

Hi John - any more thoughts on why Shoveler numbers are dropping at the very time of year when they should be increasing? Is it because their regular autumn feeding areas at the Flashes are either dry or unattractive (too saline)?

Good passage of seabirds up the Severn today as far as Lydney / Slimbridge at least (Gannet, Fulmar, Sab's Gull, Manx Shear, Arctic Skua etc); there may be a goody - and I don't mean Mr Oddie - waiting to be found by someone tomorrow.

Had an hour at the Flashes this evening seen one of the Green Sandpipers feeding down the new channel so looks like its got posibilities! The two Godwits flew back in,but no Greenshank.

Hi John - any more thoughts on why Shoveler numbers are dropping at the very time of year when they should be increasing? Is it because their regular autumn feeding areas at the Flashes are either dry or unattractive (too saline)?

Good passage of seabirds up the Severn today as far as Lydney / Slimbridge at least (Gannet, Fulmar, Sab's Gull, Manx Shear, Arctic Skua etc); there may be a goody - and I don't mean Mr Oddie - waiting to be found by someone tomorrow.

If we do get an Oddie it will be a goodie8-P or something like that.

Re shoveler In normal years September through to mid October they feed mostly on the Flashes in the evenings (2nd Flash), after the first cold spells the invertebrates decline. This coincides with the shoveler moving to the Moors, where they form into tight pirouetting flocks stirring up their food. Last year the Moors flock never formed, this we attributed to the daily incursion from the stockman into Amy's marsh. I think this year numbers will be well down as the Moors cannot provide enough food at this time.
I will go through my note books and check out the early years. I know in the 90's we boasted 1% of the national winter population, which was classed as ' of National importance'.

Spent an hour or so at the flashes this evening. Looks like the recent rain has had no effect at all on the water levels.

A Juv/1W Mediterranean Gull dropped in to the roost at ~7:30 pm - John Ridley spotted it first. The two Black-tailed Godwits fed on the first flash and a juv Common Tern came in just as it was getting dark. As we left, a Peregrine was dive-bombing a Buzzard near the transmitters.

John - the new first flash island looks very promising. ;)

Below is a poor record shot of the Med - the light was fading fast.

Attachments

• Med Gull Flashes 060911.jpg
    Med Gull Flashes 060911.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Salt Spring at Flashes

3 pics of the salt spring.
All around the Flashes is dry, but immediately around the spring it is extremely soft deep mud.
Once again the overnight rain never materialised, it is going to take many days of continuous rain to even wet the 2nd Flash.

Dave did you get the samples? If not I have put them in the lock up on top of the food barrel lid?

Attachments

• 1. salt spring.jpg
    1. salt spring.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2. salt sring.jpg
    2. salt sring.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 59
  • salt spring.jpg
    salt spring.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Spent an hour or so at the flashes this evening. Looks like the recent rain has had no effect at all on the water levels.

A Juv/1W Mediterranean Gull dropped in to the roost at ~7:30 pm - John Ridley spotted it first. The two Black-tailed Godwits fed on the first flash and a juv Common Tern came in just as it was getting dark. As we left, a Peregrine was dive-bombing a Buzzard near the transmitters.

John - the new first flash island looks very promising. ;)

Below is a poor record shot of the Med - the light was fading fast.

Mike - does this look like the same Med that you had on Thursday?

Both previous Sabines and Wilsons have been in September with Laughing Gull and a good spread of Sandwich Terns and even a Great Skua. Ever the optimist.
Interesting photo's of the saline spring. Is that the bobble of a Blues supporter hat sinking in the mud at the end of the footsteps going one way. A fitting end to an upstart?

Both previous Sabines and Wilsons have been in September with Laughing Gull and a good spread of Sandwich Terns and even a Great Skua. Ever the optimist.
Interesting photo's of the saline spring. Is that the bobble of a Blues supporter hat sinking in the mud at the end of the footsteps going one way. A fitting end to an upstart?

No I think it is the stuff we give the Villa (sh**)SOTV:-O

we'll be back

Last edited:
3 pics of the salt spring.
All around the Flashes is dry, but immediately around the spring it is extremely soft deep mud.
Once again the overnight rain never materialised, it is going to take many days of continuous rain to even wet the 2nd Flash.

Dave did you get the samples? If not I have put them in the lock up on top of the food barrel lid?

Yes cheers John, I got the samples and have measured the salinity levels:

The 'salt' spring contains 9,200 milligrams per litre total dissolved solids (TDS, i.e. salts). This is surprisingly dilute.

The salinity of the first flash is currently 26,300 milligrams per litre TDS. Not surprisingly (considering the low water levels) this is the highest salt concentration I've ever recorded for the first flash (about 75% as salty as seawater).

BTW John I have sent you a reply to your text - if you haven't received any of the 3 texts I've sent you today, I think there is something wrong with your network. Thanks again for the samples, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back