• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

John
Would have killed to see that Forsters Tern,but even I thought it was a little to far at the time on the old Honda C 50cc.!
Glenn

Hollywood does 'twitching'

Not exactly Upton related, but could be of interest......

I've just read that a new comedy feature film is being released in November called 'The Big Year'. Based on a book of the same (or similar) name, it follows the antics of three US birders (played by Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson) who embark on a twitching oddyssey.

It'll probably be a bit OTT but could be OK. If nothing else it could raise the profile of birding among the masses. Youtube trailer link below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBAP2wId5M

Last edited:

I've just read that a new comedy feature film is being released in November called 'The Big Year'. Based on a book of the same (or similar) name, it follows the antics of three US birders (played by Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson) who embark on a twitching oddyssey.

It'll probably be a bit OTT but could be OK. If nothing else it could raise the profile of birding among the masses. Youtube trailer link below....

I've read the book, which is quite entertaining, with a degree of poetic licence taken to make it sound more competitive than it was (I've looked at quotes from a couple of the guys involved). Might be worth a look.

Mike

A film with Steve Martin being OK - are you sure? The man hasnt made a decent film since god-knows-when.

'The Man With Two Brains' is class (if a little dated). 'The Jerk' is good too and there are a few scenes from 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' that made me p***myself (much like Ruprecht!)

Apart from that, I guess you're right.

Kept meaning to mention this during idle moments in the hide over the last few weeks. I went to see Steve Martin during his brief tour of the UK a few weeks ago ..he is a world class banjo player and plays in a Bluegrass band ( Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers)
His previous album was 'The Crow' and his new album is 'Rare bird alert'. The show was a mixture of his music and comedy( excellent evening,even though it was Manchester) and he plugged and talked about the film and his take on twitchers... I had it pencilled in as a must see when it came out:t:

oh, and Roxanne was OK 8-P

Last edited:
'The Man With Two Brains' is class (if a little dated). 'The Jerk' is good too and there are a few scenes from 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' that made me p***myself (much like Ruprecht!)

Apart from that, I guess you're right.

1983, 1984 and 1988 respectively. And Roxanne was 1987. No one offering up the Pink Panther?

Getting back to birding Brian had 2 Siskin at the Moors today which I believe are the first of the autumn (and Shoveler numbers recovered to 16).

A film with Steve Martin being OK - are you sure? The man hasnt made a decent film since god-knows-when.

I accept that this is a major drawback, he's a long way from a favourite of mine as an actor. Only Dirty Rotten Scoundrels springs to mind as vaguely enjoyable. As a stand-up he's OK, although I'll admit I haven't seen much.

Thanks Rob and Glen - not sure who put the report on the pager (or perhaps lifted from another information service); am sure any terns will get a good grilling tomorrow!

Andy W claimed two Arctic Terns this evening (juv & adult).

The juvenile Common was still present at the Moors yesterday, but I bumped in to one unknown observer who claimed a juvenile Arctic. The bird present while I was there yesterday was definitely a Common. Although it is quite a slight bird and continuously dip feeds just like an Arctic, the combination of reddish bill base and dark secondary bar confirmed it as a Common.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back