• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (170 Viewers)

Hi,

It looks like a juvinile light-phase common buzzard to me. I currently have two of them at my local patch (Shenstone) with very similar markings.

When they hang on the wind or thermals, gliding along they can hold there wings in such a position. Myself and Tony Smith had 3 over the flashes this afternoon looking very similar.

Jase

Hi Rob common buzzard, there are lots of varying shades of buzzards around the reserve at the moment, it is looking un-buzzard like probably because its fighting against the wind
B :)John

Could this bird have been the source of the RPD Honey Buzzard? from a fleating view i suppose H Buzzard would be a posibility?
MB

Could this bird have been the source of the RPD Honey Buzzard? from a fleating view i suppose H Buzzard would be a posibility?
MB

I guess it could cause some confusion Craig, but as I didnt see yesterday's bird I wouldn't wish to cast aspersions on someone else's sighting.

All I can say is, if you actually get a decent view of a Honey Buzzard it really strikes you how different it looks to a Common Buzzard

Managed to get down the flashes for an hour this evening - a male Yellow wagtail was present in the transmitter field with the cattle - and then flew south-east over the flashes. The two Dunlins were still present (ad + Juv), 5 Green sandpipers and 23 Curlews. One of the Arctic Terns ventured over but beat a hast retreat after being attacked by a Peregrine. Two Grey wagtails flew over the sailing centre.

Managed to get down the flashes for an hour this evening - a male Yellow wagtail was present in the transmitter field with the cattle - and then flew south-east over the flashes. The two Dunlins were still present (ad + Juv), 5 Green sandpipers and 23 Curlews. One of the Arctic Terns ventured over but beat a hast retreat after being attacked by a Peregrine. Two Grey wagtails flew over the sailing centre.
Just to add to Dave's sightings
Flashes Teal 39, Shoveler 1, Little Grebe (3rd Flash), BHG roost only 350 ish, LBBG 10 max, Curlew 23, 100+ swallows fed inches above the ground in the transmitter field. also Stock Dove 65, Rook 5, Jackdaw 120+
Moors 5 juv arctics, common sand, green sand, Lapwing c80, Herring gull 1st w, LBBG c25, large numbers of hirundine 200+ (mostly house martin)

Just to add to Dave's sightings
Flashes Teal 39, Shoveler 1, Little Grebe (3rd Flash), BHG roost only 350 ish, LBBG 10 max, Curlew 23, 100+ swallows fed inches above the ground in the transmitter field. also Stock Dove 65, Rook 5, Jackdaw 120+
Moors 5 juv arctics, common sand, green sand, Lapwing c80, Herring gull 1st w, LBBG c25, large numbers of hirundine 200+ (mostly house martin)

In addition to your summary John. I had an adult Arctic Tern through over the Flashes at approx 14:30pm today that flew off towards the sailing lake.

Jase

In addition to your summary John. I had an adult Arctic Tern through over the Flashes at approx 14:30pm today that flew off towards the sailing lake.

Jase

Nice 1 Jase, certainly a better passage than in the spring for this species, now for something better:smoke: grey phal will do.

aye up lads back from the wilds of norfolk and lincs check these pics for me is it the same bird or is one the little fella reported at titchwell in all honesty it looked small to me, and dave i know it ain.t a chiff chaff!
Great shots Trace
Now the 2 Simons, Rob and yourself have a mission, to photograph one at Upton:t:john

Nice 1 Jase, certainly a better passage than in the spring for this species, now for something better:smoke: grey phal will do.

It's certainly getting to that Phal time of year John....A Wilsons would be nice...I dipped on the last one as I was away on my hols the whole time it was at UPton...ggggrrrr!

Hi all,

Just wanted to know how long did your last Sabs Gull stay for? Today is day 7 for ours at Belvide, which beats any previous stayers in Staffs.

Cheers Steve

Grey Phalarope at Holt this afternoon. We all know what happened last year when one turned up at Grimley........

Anyone going down the flashes this evening could be a hero. :smoke:

Tuesday work party at Moors

Today we split into 2 groups.
5 on the car park and 9 on the feeding station channel
At the car park, our aim is to improve the quality of the western border hedgerow. Today we coppiced the sycamore thicket (some at least 30 foot high). This will remove the shading effect and encourage thorn bushes , elder and bramble to proliferate. The 'brash' was used to fill the gap in the border fence and also (the majority) was used to create a 'dead hedge' along the trail just behind the hide. This will hopefully provide scrub habitat (bramble thicket) and a future breeding area, for amongst other species the Cettis warbler.
The other group today cleared the vegetation around the silted channel in front of the feeding station hide. Once that was done, the back breaking work began on digging out the channel roots and all. This area now looks great for crakes and Bittern ( both large and small - hopefully 8-P).
Many thanks on behalf of Paul M (the boss) to everyone, for an excellent day's work. Also special thanks to Ferg for his chainsaw skills and knowledge.

The first 2 pics show the west car park hedge 1.before today's work(March 2011. I forgot to take a pic before we started)
2. After today's work
3. the feeding station channel before todays work
4. After the work
5. A caterpillar found today - anyone got any ideas what species.
bird sightings later

Attachments

• 3new car park.jpg
    3new car park.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 4car park west hedge after work.jpg
    4car park west hedge after work.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1channel in front of FST before work 13th Set11.jpg
    1channel in front of FST before work 13th Set11.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2new channel in front of FSTN.jpg
    2new channel in front of FSTN.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 5.caterpillar sp.jpg
    5.caterpillar sp.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Blimey, dunno John. But Gail says thanks for fetchin' it 'ome it came in right 'andy!

;)B :):eek!::-O

"right 'andy". Did you see what I did there...?

Attachments

• caterpillar-yelloworange-finger-puppet2.jpg
    caterpillar-yelloworange-finger-puppet2.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I think it may be the stunning caterpillar of the Sycamore Moth.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sycamore+moth+caterpillar&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BKs&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=CpFvToDWJYXGswby1MycBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=793

Discussion on the internet suggests that, like many hairy moth caterpillars, they can be quite allergenic; causing localized rashes etc. Like its name suggests they feed predominantly on the Acer species (although they're also found on Horse Chestnuts, apparently).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back