• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (134 Viewers)

They're all Arctics: juvenile in pics 1 & 2, juvenile & adult in pic 3, adult in pics 4 & 5.

The adult is in winter plumage.

ps: nice pics by the way!

Brian

Thanks Brian. All these plumage changes are confusing the heck out of me!

I'll just keep taking the pictures and asking the questions. Maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually. :eat:

Simon P. :t:

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. All these plumage changes are confusing the heck out of me!

I'll just keep taking the pictures and asking the questions. Maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually. :eat:

Simon P. :t:

Brill Simon you are our eyes and ears at the Moors
keep it up mate:t:
B :)John

Latest news (per Brian's website) is that there is no further sign of the Curlew Sand by mid-morning. Does anyopne know anything further?

Did anyone get down to see it?

I'll have to sweat it out at work and then give it a try this evening.:C

Latest news (per Brian's website) is that there is no further sign of the Curlew Sand by mid-morning. Does anyopne know anything further?

Did anyone get down to see it?

I'll have to sweat it out at work and then give it a try this evening.:C

Hi Dave,

No sign within 1/2 hour of it being reported. But a Dunlin present - don't know whether the latter is a juvenile or adult.......

Brian

Hi Dave,

No sign within 1/2 hour of it being reported. But a Dunlin present - don't know whether the latter is a juvenile or adult.......

Brian

Cheers Brian,

Probably gone through I guess - but it could be hiding out on the moors - unfortunately, I'm not going to have much light to play with by the time I leave work.

Cheers Brian,

Probably gone through I guess - but it could be hiding out on the moors - unfortunately, I'm not going to have much light to play with by the time I leave work.
will be checking out the Moors from 4pm will let you know:t:

wind getting stronger all the time

Five Arctic Terns (all juvs I believe) at the Moors Pool late afternoon.

A belated item of news from yesterday is a report of an Osprey which flew over the Flashes at 2pm - anyone know who the finder was?

This flew slowly twice across the Moors this afternoon. My first thought was Goshawk but can someone ID it for me please. They are poor pics I know-have cleaned them up as best I can.

Attachments

• Web Goshawk.jpg
    Web Goshawk.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Web Goshawk 2.jpg
    Web Goshawk 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 136
aye up lads back from the wilds of norfolk and lincs check these pics for me is it the same bird or is one the little fella reported at titchwell in all honesty it looked small to me, and dave i know it ain.t a chiff chaff!

Attachments

• DSC03268.jpg
    DSC03268.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC03286.jpg
    DSC03286.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 79
Work Parties At The Flashes

This winter's programme of Sunday work parties commences on the 25th September followed by the next one the following weekend to take advantage of the current low water levels. After that work parties will be the first Sunday in every month until March although we may need to call ad hoc events outside of this schedule if there is particular work required (eg in relation to the erection of the new hide).

Work parties start at 10am and last usually until an hour or two before dark, although any time you can spare is greatly appreciated. Please wear old clothes, boots / wellies and bring a pair of gloves, together with a packed lunch. Light refreshments will be provided - usually squash and chocolate biscuits (with the perennial debate about milk vs dark ...). For those new to work parties, attendees normally start gathering in the Sailing Centre car park from 09:50; if not here they will be birding down the Flashes!

This year's work programme, as mentioned above, is dependent on the water levels but a quick run-down of tasks include (in no particular order):

- Further scrub management between the Feeding Station and Hen Pool
- Further management of the hedgerows (in particular between the Feeding Station and steps)
- Desilting of the wader feeding channels
- Review and improvement of wader breeding islands
- Survey and strengthening of the fox-proof fence
- Any further work required to the feeder channel between the first and second Flashes and creation of islands with the spoil
- Preparation of the winter feeding station
- Desilting the sluice channel
- Strimming the foreshore and clearing vegetation off the islands ahead of the Spring
- Removal of reeds encroaching onto the foreshore
- Raking up after Trust contractors have cut reeds / sedge / the sewage meadow

There are lots of other tasks that will come to mind once we start to look at the work programme in anger.

All these works are designed to increase the attractiveness of the reserve to passage and breeding birds, with an emphasis on the breeding waders (LRP, Redshank, Lapwing and Avocet) but also on the warblers and other passerines who frequent the hedgerows and scrub areas. This year we have seen a marked increase in numbers of Common and Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher etc proving that whilst this is aimed at being a long term investment it can produce immediate returns.

Participating in the work parties is a great way to see the reserve from a different perspective (literally) and increase one's understanding and appreciation of the reserve's history and the manner in which all its components interact from the wide range of knowledge imparted by its attendees. It is also a great way to ensure that you are in on the grapevine for when the next biggy occurs.

Hope to see as many of you as possible at the Flashes on Sunday 25th from 10:00.

Cheers
Phil

Curlew Sand

Had a quick exchange of emails with Steve Payne who found the Curlew Sandpiper at the Flashes this morning. It was a juvenile which flew to the third Flash and didnt re-emerge by the time Steve left.

This flew slowly twice across the Moors this afternoon. My first thought was Goshawk but can someone ID it for me please. They are poor pics I know-have cleaned them up as best I can.

Rob
How about it may be a juvenile something? Marsh Harrier? I know something for sure, it's not an Artic Tern.

Simon P 8-P

Hi,

It looks like a juvinile light-phase common buzzard to me. I currently have two of them at my local patch (Shenstone) with very similar markings.

When they hang on the wind or thermals, gliding along they can hold there wings in such a position. Myself and Tony Smith had 3 over the flashes this afternoon looking very similar.

Jase

Hi Rob common buzzard, there are lots of varying shades of buzzards around the reserve at the moment, it is looking un-buzzard like probably because its fighting against the wind
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back