• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (63 Viewers)

In the first batch of photos that I posted yesterday I included a couple of Treecreeper shots. When I was going through selecting photos to include, I passed over this one because the birds posture looked strange. However, on looking at it again this morning I think I may have the Treecreeper equivalent of the Thrush-like behaviour (where they tilt their heads to listen for larvae and worms) of listening (through a solid substance) for its prey. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• TC3_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    TC3_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 94
It's just unfortunate that any advantage this pioneering pair may have had may be rubbed out by the ongoing hide-building activities (thanks to Sy for pointing out the full picture). I think I could've predicted that one back in December. Wait a minute, I think I did...8-P

I also hope this doesn't diminish the support of the work parties. I know from my modest involvement how frustrating it is to feel that the hard work is being undermined by the very people who should be supporting it. I did consider not turning up on Sunday but it's not the birds' fault and they need our help even more now.

I also hope this doesn't diminish the support of the work parties. I know from my modest involvement how frustrating it is to feel that the hard work is being undermined by the very people who should be supporting it. I did consider not turning up on Sunday but it's not the birds' fault and they need our help even more now.

well said Paul:t:
B :)John
The way I look at is that we bird there the Trust don't, so we're doing it for our pleasure not for them. If the work isn't done no one at the Trust will worry, I see us (the work party crew) as a separate entity, we look after the wildlife and habitat and they look after the infrastructure.
The work parties came about (1984ish) because we the birders wanted to improve the reserve. If we walk away then the place will collapse and that's not a threat, that is a fact.
There are now about 60 active volunteers, more than ever before and it would be a shame if we allow the hide debacle undo this positive momentum.
I know how I felt back in the day, very frustrated at how the reserve could be so much better with a pro active approach. After years of sweat and toil we formed was is arguably now the most productive team of volunteers on any wildlife trust reserve in the country.
That dream has now been realised and we cannot allow this setback to override all the good will and hard work of the last 28 years, that have achieved so much. Believe me sitting in a hide moaning about what we could have done or what should be done is so frustrating and that's how it was in the early day's. I for one wont give up and I know there are a good few of us that feel that way, so in this time of negativity (which is peeing us all off) just think about the effect on the birds with out our intervention it could all be lost.
I am sure there are some people not associated with the work parties, that would love to see it collapse (but less of that), so please come down on Sunday and lets get the work sorted, it will soon be Spring.:t:
B :)John

Last edited:
I dont mind coming down to give you a hand with the work party tomorrow, because as you say no volunteers, no Upton Warren!

What time are you planning on starting? And I assume meet at the flashes?

Jim

I dont mind coming down to give you a hand with the work party tomorrow, because as you say no volunteers, no Upton Warren!

What time are you planning on starting? And I assume meet at the flashes?

Jim

Hi Jim - welcome on board!

Work will start at 10am down on the Flashes but whatever time you turn up will be appreciated.

Hi Jim - welcome on board!

Work will start at 10am down on the Flashes but whatever time you turn up will be appreciated.

Cheers for the welcome Phil ! Will be down at 10am Ish then, will try and stay for as long as possible. As people have already said spring is just around the corner and if there is still important work outstanding then it shouldn't just be ignored, something i know you guys wouldn't consider!

Jim

No sign of any Avocets today:-C.
A couple of pics of some of the regulars.

Chris

Attachments

• cormorant 1 copy.jpg
    cormorant 1 copy.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 71
  • water rail 2 copy.jpg
    water rail 2 copy.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 89
  • snipe 3 copy.jpg
    snipe 3 copy.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 77
Def had coal tit this month (put it in the book) and Meadow Pipit flying over the climbing frame by the sailing pool two Sundays ago.
Two Skylarks over last work party. Raven last Saturday.

Yes Phil, I had two rooks fly over today when I was walking round the north moors

Thanks Dave and Gav - no one laying claim to a Common Gull or Chiffy yet in February?

The book was up in the rafters today above the 2nd/3rd window. It seems to be often left there but I don't know why as it stops anybody adding sightings if they dont know the secret.

Rob

Hi Rob
Yeh I know where it lurks, but neither myself or another birder could locate it yesterday....odd..oh well at least no one has nicked it

The book was up in the rafters today above the 2nd/3rd window. It seems to be often left there but I don't know why as it stops anybody adding sightings if they dont know the secret.

Rob

It is put up there to prevent the grafitti / damage that sometimes appears when the hide is occupied by the younger inhabitants of Stoke Prior and the book is on full view.

Flashes work party

Many thanks to the 13 participants of the additional Flashes work party today - Woodchat, Gavo, Hayley, Upstarts, Beyonder, Andy W, Derek, Phil Q, Hen Harrier, Tony H, Oriole Boy and Wheatearlrp.

We have linked the fox fencing to the new hide (suitably buried into the ground), dug out the encroaching reeds from the near shore and undertaken a good proportion of the repairs / adaptions to the eastern run of the fox fence.

Special mentions go to Hen Harrier for getting stuck in on his first work party, Gavo for returning having left for home ancidentally with some of the tools and to Wheatearlrp, who's satnav appeared to take him via Newport 8-P

There is still plenty to do in the final work party of the season on the 4th March and we need at least 20 participants to complete everything. Tasks include the clearance of the islands, mowing / strimming of the foreshore, erection of the temporary fox fencing right of the hide, completion of the repairs / adaptions to the fox fence and fitting of the new gate to the sewage works. Any time you can spare will be very much appreciated (as usual).

Flashes hide update

Whilst we worked at the Flashes, Colin and helper (sorry, didnt catch his name) were busy working on the hide all day and offered to show us the latest position.

There has been considerable progress in the last week and the vast majority of our concerns have been resolved. There are now suitable catches to the windows, shelving, window surrounds and benches; the guttering, roof and over-cladding have also all been remodelled and improved. Overall there has been a substantial improvement in the quality of the internal finishes and it was a real pleasure to sit in the new structure and review the Flashes.

There will need to be some minor adjustments to prevent light flooding in when the ground floor door is open and deter egg thieves but hopefully there wont be anything to prevent the hide opening later this week; we await the nod from the Trust.

Last edited:
The building contractors were busy working on the hide all day today. When they were about to pack up they invited us to see inside. They have made a lot of improvements and the hide is now looking much better than it was last week. The quality of the workmanship is now much higher and I was pretty impressed with what I saw. They've still got a few minor bits and pieces to do before final sign-off but the end of the tunnel is definitely in sight at last.

Oops cross-posted with Phil.

Whilst we worked at the Flashes, Colin and helper (sorry, didnt catch his name) were busy working on the hide all day and offered to show us the latest position.

There has been considerable progress in the last week and the vast majority of our concerns have been resolved. There are now suitable catches to the windows, shelving, window surrounds and benches; the guttering, roof and over-cladding have also all been remodelled and improved. Overall there has been a sunstantial improvement in the quality of the internal finishes and it was a real pleasure to sit in the new structure and review the Flashes.

There will need to be some minor adjustments to prevent light flooding in when the ground floor door is open and deter egg thieves but hopefully there wont be anything to prevent the hide opening later this week; we await the nod from the Trust.

Couldn't agree more, it was a real pleasure to be back birding at the Flashes.
I can only reiterate that we will need everyone's help in 2 weeks time. Today's work was pretty heavy but rewarding at the same time and thanks to all the lads and Hayley of course and especially to Jim (hen Harrier) and Paul (Beyonder) for helping me with the fox fencing:t:. Next time we will be titivating the habitat for the returning waders. Today the Oystercatcher kept returning to our new shingle island..which incidentally blends in well as if its been there for years.
Birds at the Flashes were : Greylag 5, Teal c30, shelduck 3 came into roost, curlew 15, lapwing c50, BHG c200 roosted, skylark overhead calling (my first for the year). The harbingers of spring at the flashes are coot and several were already on site..not long now before the first migrants arrive.
Phil has a more comprehensive list of the Moors sightings than I have , so I will leave it to him.B :)John

Last edited:
Moors Pool - Sunday 19th Feb

2 Mute Swan, 25 Canada Geese, 25 Cormorant, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Shelduck, male Gadwall, 20 Teal, 21 Shoveler, 28 Pochard, 22 Tufted Duck, 1 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 4 Snipe, 1 Oystercatcher, 105 Lapwing, 16 Curlew, 122 Coot, 1 Herring Gull.

In addition to John's post, 9 Snipe were flushed at the Flashes.

A few late sightings from earlier in the week were a pair of Goosander which flew over the Moors Pool towards the Flashes on the 13th and a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the Education Reserve the previous day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back