• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (111 Viewers)

At the current rate of contribution, this thread should achieve its 10,000th post sometime within the next week. Would be nice if it was to report a real rarity, like the Black-winged Stilt that is touring the wider Midlands.

Hi everyone, :hi:

As a fairly regular visitor to UW I thought it time to say hello, on this my first post.

I always enjoy my visits and, from a photgraphers point of view, would like to say how much the downstairs of the flashes hide has improved the chances of obtaining good shots.

Also, a big thank you to the work carried out at the Henbrook pool, the improved visibility is great and I look forward to the coming months to hopefully get some good warbler pics.
I was in there two days ago hoping for some early Reed Warbler shots. It wasn't to be, but a foraging Reed Bunting more than made up for it.

I am hoping to be able to contribute to the Sunday work parties when they recommence so I will look out for the start dates.

I am always amazed by the pool of knowledge and good pics on this thread and will myself be joining in with lively debate and posting some of my UW photos in the future.

Excellent images Claudy. I especially like the RB one. :t: Look forward to seeing more from you.

Rob

Dave J picked them up from the staircase at the top of the field near the dung heap. andy p had them about 15 mins ago from the main path.

Common Tern again / another at the Moors Pool 10:05

Last edited:
Just to confirm, the Coot (with four young) with a white ring carrying green CO lettering, first noted at the Hen Pool on the 8th April, was ringed at Radipole RSPB, Dorset on the 9th January 2011; there have been no sightings in between. Interestingly the bird was sexed as a male at the time but seemed to be undertaking the majority of the care of the chicks.

They do share the duties, unlike humans8-P something you will find out soon;)

Saturday 14th April - sightings so far

FLASHES
11 Avocet, 5 LRP, 5 Lapwing, 1 Shelduck, 15 Mallard, 2 Gadwall, 9 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 4 Greylag Geese, 1 Canada Goose, 3 LBB Gull, 2 male Wheatear in transmitter field, Sedge Warbler singing from Third Flash, Common Sandpiper

MOORS POOL
5 Oystercatcher, 1 Lapwing, 2 Shoveler (pair), 2 Teal (pair), 21 Mallard, 1 Herring Gull, 3 LBB Gull, 1 Little Grebe, 9 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swan, 1 Greylag Goose, 35 Coot, 55 Tufted Duck, 30 Canada Geese, Common Tern, Reed Warbler and Water Rail both singing from the causeway, c100 hirundines (including good numbers of Sand martin)

SAILING POOL
5 GC Grebe, 3 Coot, c25 hirundines, 8 Mallard, 5 Canada Geese, Common Tern first thing

Grass Snake Pic

As requested by JTB :t:

by the way, after much phaffing about, the simplest way to resize a pic to post on the forum is to download your pic from Flickr (if you have a Pro account) Medium size 800, then upload it to your post ..simples 8-P

click pic to view

Attachments

• ffs.jpg
    ffs.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 96

by the way, after much phaffing about, the simplest way to resize a pic to post on the forum is to download your pic from Flickr (if you have a Pro account) Medium size 800, then upload it to your post ..simples 8-P

click pic to view

Nice pic Mark - shows the markings around the head very well.

To add to Phil's report:

Flashes - 1 Yellow Wagtail briefly in front of the tower hide, found by Guy Border; 1 Green Sandpiper; Shelduck increased to 2 by early afternoon. At least one Wheatear was still in the transmitter field at c.2.00 pm

Moors - at least 3 Water Rails calling from either side of the causeway, SandMarins reached 60+ by late morning

click pic to view

What a great pic, well done!

I had a nice afternoon wonder around Upton today.

Birds that got my interest included:

Sparrowhawk
Water Rail
Grey Wagtail

Pics attached.

Attachments

• Water rail 1.jpg
    Water rail 1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Grey Wagtail 7.jpg
    Grey Wagtail 7.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Water rail 2.jpg
    Water rail 2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 70
  • Grey Wagtail 5.jpg
    Grey Wagtail 5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 69
  • White Wagtail 1.jpg
    White Wagtail 1.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 92
I had a nice afternoon wonder around Upton today.

Birds that got my interest included:

Sparrowhawk
Water Rail
Grey Wagtail

Pics attached.

Great pics mate, where were the water rail and grey wags - the 2 were presumably on the sailing pool, but where was the one in the tree
B :)John

Can't wait untill tomorrow, first trip to Upton Warren so looking forward to it.

If you are going in the morning. I suggest you go to the East hide at the Moors first, the sun will be behind you. If later in the day the west side of the Moors and the Flashes. Don't forget your wildlife trust card though, those nasty wardens will be lurking8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back