• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (102 Viewers)

Re small tortoishell: I have seen a lot more (non scientific I know) around in early spring before and during the very hot spell of 3 weeks ago. However only 1 since the weather has got colder and wetter. What would have happened to those individuals, would they have gone into partial hibernation, or succumbed.
B :)John

The simple answer is I dunno. They could have thought better of it and tucked themselves away again. They are unlikely to have succumbed. It is the caterpillars that eat the eggs of Sturmia bella which are laid on nettles and the chrysalis that gets slowly eaten by the parasite. Once they are adults they are safe but then they could of course have been predated by birds etc. The males that overwinter usually set up a territory around a nettle bed when they emerge and sunbathe whilst waiting for females to come along. They are pretty mobile and could have moved elsewhere. As Ive said they can be fickle about their nettle beds, maybe they have found some better ones away from the reserve, lush in farmers nitrates.

John

What time can you get day passes in the morning?

Hoping to get mine from the sailing centre...

Yeah, as John says, just go on and fill your boots. Someone will be along to check permits etc. during the day and nobody minds if you wait until asked, especially when the sailing centre's closed.

Kingfisher Rivalry
Common Tern
Bank Vole (I think)
Great Crested Grebe with what I think is a Male Stickleback

Attachments

• _ROB9093 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9093 - Version 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 91
  • _ROB9120.jpg
    _ROB9120.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 75
  • _ROB9146.jpg
    _ROB9146.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 83
  • _ROB9376 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9376 - Version 2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 72
Great pics mate, where were the water rail and grey wags - the 2 were presumably on the sailing pool, but where was the one in the tree
B :)John

Water rail from the Car park hide.

Grey Wag - On sailing pool walking down towards flashes - got chased into tree by Pied Wags.

a few of mine

some pics from last couple of days, no bank mole though rob! fighting grebes,pooing swallow, stickleback eating grebe and a martin.

Attachments

• DSC02457.jpg
    DSC02457.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02458.jpg
    DSC02458.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02523.jpg
    DSC02523.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC02582.jpg
    DSC02582.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02602.jpg
    DSC02602.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 77
Sunday 15th April

My morning's birding was rather curtailed as I popped over to Coney Meadows to assist the Hoopoe Whisperer (aka Dave W) in trying to relocate a rare migrant:

MOORS POOL
1 Snipe, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Teal, 1 Cormorant, 30+ Tufted Duck, 2 LBB Gull, 6 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, approx 50 hirundines (mainly Sand Martins)

SAILING POOL
6 GC Grebe, Willow Warbler. Muchos Blackcaps and Chiffies in the Education Reserve.

FLASHES
Only 4 Avocet, 6 LRP, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Gadwall, 7 Lapwing, 1 shelduck, Willow Warbler, Common Tern reported through, Common Gull over, 4 LBB Gull, Reed Warbler singing at the Hen Pool

Too cold for hide squatting for me today, a walk around the eddy produced loads of Blackcaps.
A dozen or so Orange-tips on the wing, away from the cold wind, as well as a Speckled Wood, a UW year first that brings the total species seen by me to 9 on the reserve so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back