• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (146 Viewers)

Witnessed a very busy day at the Flashes with folk coming and going all day. Highlights were finding 7 Avocets on arrival and hearing the call of and capturing the arrival of another Green Sandpiper. Here are a few pictures:
The Oystercatchers were piping like billioh early on, then they went their separate ways.
Just loved the markings on this female Teal.
The Green Sandpiper arrives.
Only five of the seven present but it didn't take them long to start trying to assert themselves.
Distant BIF of an Oystercatcher.

Attachments

• Oyc 2.jpg
    Oyc 2.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Teal 1.jpg
    Teal 1.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Gresa 2 Gal_resize.jpg
    Gresa 2 Gal_resize.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Avo 1.jpg
    Avo 1.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Oyc 1.jpg
    Oyc 1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Birding on the reserve today

I arrived with temperature at 0 degrees, at 1.30pm it read 22 degrees in the sun and the SE breeze was barely discernible.
As the work party started(details later) the 5 avocet flew on to the SW marsh islands and 6 jacks and 4 common snipe flew from the west bank juncus patch. The duck all swam up to the north end and water rail were more vociferous than ever. Redpoll were singing along the east side and the reed bunting's excuse of a song was heard from all the reed beds. At least 2 singing mistle thrushes were singing, with double the amount of song thrushes out doing them.
After the work party I visited the Flashes were the raucous BHG, were only out shouted by a serial 'moaner' - complaining about work that has been done and what should have been done, luckily for him it was not in my ear shot.:C
Anyway to more interesting things, such as the 'returning ' avocet. The seven birds were regularly calling and a bit of 'jousting' also took place. There were signs that the food supply was emerging as the teal flock were all 'upending' - this in stark contrast to 12 months ago when there were no invertebrates in the 2nd Flash at all. A green sand also fed along the 'spit' shoreline and 11 curlews fed in the sewage meadow.
Back to the Moors this evening with Tony H in the east hide. The ducks all gathered in their single species groups, making counting easy. Again water rail performed with at least 3 in Amy's either flying swimming or feeding as well as others calling. A flock of calling redwing landed in the eastern hedge row, accompanied by a couple of song thrushes. Then at 5.52pm I noticed a pale shape in the north reeds perched on a dead stump, the Bittern hadn't gone then. After a couple of minutes it did a quick 20 metre loop and then crashed into the reeds out of sight.
Species count MOORS:
GCG 4, little grebe 2, mute swan 2, cormorant 5, greylag, shoveler 12 (5 prs + 2 male), Teal 12, shelduck male, gadwall 7 (3 prs +male), Pochard 20 (17 male), tufted 47, water rail 10+, Jack snipe 6, common snipe 5, lapwing 60, oystercatcher 3, BHG 300, LBBG pr, green woodpecker, mistle thrush 2, song thrush 6, redwing 25, fieldfare 2, redpoll 3,
species count FLASHES:
Teal 47, mallard 10, shelduck male, coot 10, lapwing 150, curlew 11, avocet 7, green sand, BHG 350, green woodpecker, stock dove 5,
SAILING POOL :
GCG 11, Tufted pr
B :)John
forgot to add
pipistrelle bat was flying around at 1pm over the east track and again this evening. Two small tortoishell flew over the pool island midday

Last edited:
Did you only have a skeleton crew on the work party then? :-O:-O:-O

Lovely shots Bob-the Snipe is a sparkler! :t:

Rob

Yes Rob we did today, understandably a few who were on the Sunday WP , deservedly needed a rest. And we had a few sick notes and others on holidays and appointments. Paul was worried at one stage there was only 4 of us but the troops arrived and we ended up with 10 of us. B :) and another great effort see in a bit

Witnessed a very busy day at the Flashes with folk coming and going all day. Highlights were finding 7 Avocets on arrival and hearing the call of and capturing the arrival of another Green Sandpiper. Here are a few pictures:
The Oystercatchers were piping like billioh early on, then they went their separate ways.
Only five of the seven present but it didn't take them long to start trying to assert themselves.

Green sand aerial display team -nice:t:

A few record shots taken before and after the work party.
1. The Sedge Warblers took longer to return than he expected!
2. Find the Avocets.
3. Frosty Snipe.
4. Seven Avocets on flashes.
5. Nice reflection.

I think I met skeleton man and his son today, am I right RichardB :) Welcome to the forum mate:t:

Work Party Rules OK

Thanks to the work party today, not only for their hard work, but also for sending the snipe over to the Water Rail Hide. We had a great afternoon watching them.

Attachments

• DSC01983 (675x800).jpg
    DSC01983 (675x800).jpg
    151 KB · Views: 90
Tuesday crew at Amy's marsh

Today sick notes, recuperation;) and holidays didn't bode well. But a last minute flurry, resurrected the work force to 10 of us. With a new vol - Ivan.:t:
We tackled several vitally important jobs;
1st - the uncut causeway reed bed is covered in emerging trees some pretty well established at that. We cut them back and treated the stumps . This will stop them sucking the life out of the reeds. Other saplings around Amy's marsh and the Broadmeadow pool, were also treated.
2nd - The Broadmeadow island was strimmed ready for the oystercatchers.
3rd - The west bank of the scrape is starting to be invaded by reeds, today we cut it back to the fox fence.
4th We continued the anti erosion project on the pool island. We continued shoring up the north side with slabs. Carpet was laid and the first batch of shingle was ferried by boat to the island.
It is a very slow process, we will only have one more week on this stage. So if you could lend us a hand next Tuesday, you will make a lot of difference. The more people we get the more shingle goes on to the island.B :)
Photos
1. pool island before work resumed today
2. pool island after work
3.the shingle crew
4 the Broadmeadow pool island and west bank cleared of reeds
5 the causeway reed bed minus trees

Attachments

• 1.pool island b4 work 5 mar 136740 (2).JPG
    1.pool island b4 work 5 mar 136740 (2).JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.pool island after 1st lot of shingle6765 (2).JPG
    2.pool island after 1st lot of shingle6765 (2).JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.The shingle crew6742 (2).JPG
    3.The shingle crew6742 (2).JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.BR pool Is and west bank reed s cut afta wrk6767 (2).JPG
    4.BR pool Is and west bank reed s cut afta wrk6767 (2).JPG
    164 KB · Views: 64
  • 5.Causway reeds after trees cut and treatedrf6748 (2).JPG
    5.Causway reeds after trees cut and treatedrf6748 (2).JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Appeal

If anybody has got any unwanted Hessian backed carpet, could we have it.;)
It is needed to go onto the pool island, it lasts much longer than polythene and the shingle doesn't slide off it either.
If you have any send me a private message and I can tell you where to leave it.
B :)John

Beautiful camera work Sy. I think you're right re Female Teal, we often overlook the so called drab birds but they have lovely plumage! :t:

Rob

Brilliant work from the volunteers as always. No wonder the reserve looks so good all year round. I could do with just giving up work to enable me to go more.

Id

Would someone be able to ID for me please. I'm sure I should know -- but I don't!!

Attachments

• DSC01777 (640x525).jpg
    DSC01777 (640x525).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 145
Yes Rob we did today, understandably a few who were on the Sunday WP , deservedly needed a rest. And we had a few sick notes and others on holidays and appointments. Paul was worried at one stage there was only 4 of us but the troops arrived and we ended up with 10 of us. B :) and another great effort see in a bit

Yes really sorry I couldn't make it but by the looks of what you achieved I wasn't missed! :t:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back