• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (162 Viewers)

Today John - time on image is 12:01pm

Alan

well done , a pity we were still on the islands, we can't take any credit for that one.:smoke:john
And definitely a first of the year, not sure but I don't think we had one last year. Mike will tell us, unless Phil is looking in from the Canaries.

Last edited:
Was that today? Passage birds often appear at this time of year but they have been scarce for the past 2 - 3 years.

A male bird and a very nice shot btw. :t:

Thanks David, you may like to see the other two shots I took.
Alan

Attachments

• DSC01778 (520x640).jpg
    DSC01778 (520x640).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01779 (640x537).jpg
    DSC01779 (640x537).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 104
Brilliant work from the volunteers as always. No wonder the reserve looks so good all year round. I could do with just giving up work to enable me to go more.

Thanks for that Neil - but you wouldn't think we knew what we were doing if you listen to one certain T***, who often looks on this forum, anonymously.:kiss:

Last edited:
Alan

Great stuff.

I think I only saw one at UW last year (or was that 2 years ago?) - shows how scarce they've become following the run of cold winters. Five or six years ago there were 2 or 3 regularly on the reserve during the winter.

Interestingly, Terry H reported one somewhere else in Worcs today - Bredicot IIRC - they must be on the move right now.

Alan

Now you are really making me envious Alan8-P, This really has proved how much photographers are valued at the reserve. It might be worth looking for it tomorrow (Wednesday crew over to you, Des).

Last edited:
Hello guys. New to the forum so bear with me. Met John & Simon at Flashes today and I see "dead Fred" the skeleton in my van has made an appearance on here already.
I'm a new member and have already learnt a lot from some smashing guys in the hides so thanks for that. Not sure what all the birds are yet but I'm def hooked. Been most days over last 2weeks. Got to say, some great pics on here. Cheers

The attachment is a rule of thumb guide to the Flashes water levels at different times of the year. It shows how long certain levels are kept as such. Unfortunately the new sluice control was not installed due to the wet state of the ground. It is a very contentious subject. We face the dilemma of attracting passage waders, on one hand , but trying to preserve the 'safe island effect' for the breeding waders on the other. The whole situation is dependant on how much rain we get. We always err on the side of caution, by that I mean it is best to have too much water than not enough. We monitor the levels almost daily and attempt to keep them within a cm of the guide lines, in the attachment. Ideally we have enough water in the summer, which enables us to provide ideal conditions for the autumn passage.
B :)John

Today, SyV and me restricted the outflow to just a trickle. With heavy rain predicted the water should come back up to the desired level.

Hello guys. New to the forum so bear with me. Met John & Simon at Flashes today and I see "dead Fred" the skeleton in my van has made an appearance on here already.
I'm a new member and have already learnt a lot from some smashing guys in the hides so thanks for that. Not sure what all the birds are yet but I'm def hooked. Been most days over last 2weeks. Got to say, some great pics on here. Cheers

Welcome Richard :t:and good of you to offer you services next Tuesday...now anybody else :smoke:john
One downside though, another from the dark side (vile I mean - that's the team in claret and blue);)

Thanks for that Neil - but you wouldn't think we knew what we were doing if you listen to one certain T***, who often looks on this forum, anonymously.:kiss:

Same old, same old Super Griper at work! Pity we can't tap in to the hot air & use it to run a generator or something!

The no of volunteers who do the work & wouldn't if they thought that what was being done was wrong for the reserve. And the no of new members that I have met recently who have had nothing but good things to say about the work. :t:

Rob

Absolutely right! It seems that anyone can take pictures of birds in flight and birds in trees and so on, but it takes a rare poetic soul like Simon's to recognise the artistic possibilities of such an objet trouve. He has brought out brilliantly the chromatic and tonal qualities of the paint and the contrasting essence of the wood: there is a real awareness of the integrity of the material not seen since Carl Andre's bricks at the Tate. Also Simon clearly intends us to see this decaying post surrounded by ever-flowing water as a symbol of humankind's existential predicament. Amazing work.

Peter
I couldn't have put it more succinctly. Superb work...and I look forward to more exciting work on this theme. Tracy Emin and Damian Hirst had better watch out!!!

Couple of pics from this afternoon.
1 & 2: Snipe
3. Bullfinch

Attachments

• _MG_7717.jpg
    _MG_7717.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_7788.jpg
    _MG_7788.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_7773.jpg
    _MG_7773.jpg