• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (163 Viewers)

what a great day today. only a couple of pics from today as so many wonderful pics have been put on already great stuff guys.:t:

whitethroat
Water rail

Vern, judging by the number of views of your whitethroat in just a few hours , people know a great picture when they see one. The background really does it for me, great shot mate.:t:john

Couple of photos from this morning. One of the joys of still being relatively new to this game is seeing birds you haven't seen before, like this.

Attachments

• Whitethroat 1 compressed.jpg
    Whitethroat 1 compressed.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Whitethroat2 compressed.jpg
    Whitethroat2 compressed.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 132
Arctic Tern

Arctic tern on the sailing lake 7:40 am Friday morning 26th April. Photos as taken .

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 85
A selection from yesterday's long stay.

Attachments

• whitethroat.jpg
    whitethroat.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 107
  • linnet.jpg
    linnet.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 89
  • wren.jpg
    wren.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
  • buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 94
  • arctic tern.jpg
    arctic tern.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 100
Spring All-Day Birdwatch

Just a reminder that Upton Warren's Spring All-Day Birdwatch takes place next Saturday (4th May). This now annual event has become a mainstay of the reserve's calender as we attempt to record as many species as possible during the course of the day. The experience has been heightened in recent years with a bit of friendly rivalry with a number of other leading West Midlands' birding locations (Belvide, Middleton Lakes, Marsh Lane). Lists of the birds recorded during the course of the day will be outside the main hide at the Flashes and the West Hide at the Moors Pool; hopefully this year the lists will coincide ;)

Birders will be on site from first light (and probably beforehand to secure that vital Tawny Owl - and calling Spotted / Baillon's Crake ...?) with a presence on site throughout the day until dark. The day has developed into something of a culinary feast with a mid morning fry-up breakfast served in the concrete hide and an assortment of cakes on offer to keep flagging spirits high during the long afternoon. If anyone wants to contribute any food to the day its probably best to drop a PM to Mike (Wheatearlp) to see if anything is required.

I sure Mike will post some stats of previous totals and a tick sheet of birds previously encountered on the Spring All-Dayer as he has done in recent years.

In a new innovation this year we are undertaking a bit of fund-raising associated with the All-Dayer, using it as a sponsered birdwatch. We are happy to accept donations to the reserve's fighting fund (used for the purchase of tools and materials to assist the work parties) based on the total day list, your own personal list or any other way of calculating a sum you may deem fit :t:

As mentioned earlier in the week we are also busting a gut to get the 2012 Annual Report ready for sale. This 56 page A5 publication features around 40 photographs - many thanks to all who have contributed their work - and will be on sale for £2.50 with all proceeds going to the reserve's fund. Mike will also have some back issues for those who either holes in their catalogue or have only just discovered Upton Warren and want to know more about its recent sightings.

A look at the weather for a week's time suggests that the wind will move round to the east from around Thursday which may prove interesting; we will manipulate the sluice at the Flashes to drop the water level a little (not too much) and expose more fresh mud.

Please come and enjoy the birds, the day, the reserve, the company and the banter - its a great way to meet people who you may have corresponded with on this Forum, perhaps even walked by at Upton but never actually conversed with.

More Pics Friday 26th

Pied Piper was missed by a prospective follower who stayed outside the Avocet Hide feeders on the Moors Friday pm for quite a while until a heavy shower drove him away.
The little brown bird in the tree in front of the Avocet Hide (just behind the feeders) would like to be identified please -Pic1
The Peacock Butterfly appeared on the path from the East Hide.
The Little Grebe struck it good but the Avocet couldn't quite get it right and the Wren was just happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 89
Had an early start this morning, arriving at the Sailing Pool car park at 4:40. The full moon meant that the circumnavigation of the Sailing Pool was dead easy, but that intruder light and taped recording always gets me! There was only evidence of Mallards and BHGs on the water itself but the first few chords of the dawn chorus were struck by a Blackbird and a Song Thrush as I approached the Flashes steps, then as I walked under the hawthorn arch a Robin joined in from what sounded like only inches above my head!
The remainder of the transit to the Avocet hide was fantastically enjoyable as more and more species began their constitutional accompaniment. I stopped off briefly to take a shot or two of the full moon and eventually reached the still-vacant main hide. The moonlight allowed the recognition of several species and by the time John joined me I'd got eleven Avocets, ~300 BHG, four Blackwits, an Oystercatcher and a Common Sandpiper. As the light improved so did our outlook on the Season as one after one species would appear in apparent pairs and differing levels of behaviour suggestive of things to come later in the Spring became apparent.
At some point around 0730 John drew my attention to an Oystercatcher beginning to scrape a hollow on one of the shingle islands. One thing after another pointed towards a promising breeding season. With hindsight you just knew it was all too good to be true.
Here are some pictures taken with our spirits well and truly elevated.
Firefox doesn't want me to attach any photos (I wonder why), so I'll post this text now and edit it to add pictures using another browser...

As ever, some really unusual shots, Simon. The atmospheric image of the moon behind the transmitter reveals again your eye for the poetic: not only does it instantly pinpoint UW but it also symbolises the senses we use to identify birds - sight and sound.

Peter

Just a reminder that Upton Warren's Spring All-Day Birdwatch takes place next Saturday (4th May). This now annual event has become a mainstay of the reserve's calender as we attempt to record as many species as possible during the course of the day. The experience has been heightened in recent years with a bit of friendly rivalry with a number of other leading West Midlands' birding locations (Belvide, Middleton Lakes, Marsh Lane). Lists of the birds recorded during the course of the day will be outside the main hide at the Flashes and the West Hide at the Moors Pool; hopefully this year the lists will coincide ;)

Birders will be on site from first light (and probably beforehand to secure that vital Tawny Owl - and calling Spotted / Baillon's Crake ...?) with a presence on site throughout the day until dark. The day has developed into something of a culinary feast with a mid morning fry-up breakfast served in the concrete hide and an assortment of cakes on offer to keep flagging spirits high during the long afternoon. If anyone wants to contribute any food to the day its probably best to drop a PM to Mike (Wheatearlp) to see if anything is required.

I sure Mike will post some stats of previous totals and a tick sheet of birds previously encountered on the Spring All-Dayer as he has done in recent years.

In a new innovation this year we are undertaking a bit of fund-raising associated with the All-Dayer, using it as a sponsered birdwatch. We are happy to accept donations to the reserve's fighting fund (used for the purchase of tools and materials to assist the work parties) based on the total day list, your own personal list or any other way of calculating a sum you may deem fit :t:

As mentioned earlier in the week we are also busting a gut to get the 2012 Annual Report ready for sale. This 56 page A5 publication features around 40 photographs - many thanks to all who have contributed their work - and will be on sale for £2.50 with all proceeds going to the reserve's fund. Mike will also have some back issues for those who either holes in their catalogue or have only just discovered Upton Warren and want to know more about its recent sightings.

A look at the weather for a week's time suggests that the wind will move round to the east from around Thursday which may prove interesting; we will manipulate the sluice at the Flashes to drop the water level a little (not too much) and expose more fresh mud.

Please come and enjoy the birds, the day, the reserve, the company and the banter - its a great way to meet people who you may have corresponded with on this Forum, perhaps even walked by at Upton but never actually conversed with.

Also to add to the Interest of the day, it might well be worth trying to beat the new record day list, of 82 species.B :)

Are there now two Groppers at the Moors - seen reports from this afternoon of reeling birds both at the North Moors and by the East Hide?

Translate to English

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/...ten/15708.html

taken off Norfolk thread:-CJohn

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/...ten/15708.html

Copy link- Google search Google translate-paste link in box find language = German then translate. webpage opens on page click WWW.NABU search for article on page it will now be in English. To sign petition click petition opens in German however Herr = Man and Street Address is Strabe and Haus nummer, PLZ, ort =postcode and city

Regards, John

Last edited:
Birding UW 3:30-9
Started around the North Moors, where i found a strikingly yellow 'willow' type warbler near the seasonal pool. May be worth keeping an eye for. While watching the bird we had the Gropper singing in front of the bench. Single Cetti's singing from adjacent to NM plantation. Arctic Tern on the Pool during very heavy rain before flying over to the sailing pool once it stopped. I picked up 2 Hobby as they flew north together, before circling together (being picked up by Mary and her dad from the c'way) and moving back to the Sailing pool, before dropping down into Upton village area. A Gropper also sang from the area to the left of the hide (hawthorn hedge), and the 2nd Cetti's to our right.2 Common Sans, 1 Green Sand, 3 C. Snipe. On the walk back, Garden Warbler showing near the 'swampy bottom' and a Cetti's singing in area adjacent to the cut reed area.

Arctic Tern on Sailing pool and still present at 9pm when we left.

5 Blackwit still @flashes, but my highlight came at 8:25, when again, i picked up another adult Hobby! as it belted low over the top of the hide, across the flash, in front of the farm, then flying over to the SP where it briefly had a go at the hirudines. 3 Comon Sand, 1 Green Sand, 1 OYC. 2 Curlew roosted, but otherwhys fairly quiet
MB

How many of you are going because I will more than likely have two spare seats for the trip. I live in Coventry, not far from the M69 and we will be leaving at 3am. I could do with filling those seats if possible.

John

Sorry John. Have just got back after dipping the thrush. :-C I go with 3 other friends collectively known as the Clams [Clear Lunacy and Madness Society]. Thanks for the offer. :t:

Compensation came via the Iberian chiff chaff, black-throated diver, manx shearwaters and puffins at Flamborough.

Now for a day at The Warren tomorrow.

Flying visit this morning.
My first good go at some migrants. Whitethroat (photo - first decent one I've got), and Swift are new for the year for me (clearly not birding enough at the moment).

Had a go for Arctic Tern on the sailing pool but no sign.

Good to meet some new faces as well!

Attachments

• Whitethroat_280413_UptonWarren.jpg
    Whitethroat_280413_UptonWarren.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Holly blue or common blue? Based my record on the habitat where I saw the butterfly. I have seen common blue there previously. Admittedly should have made note of the flight month.
The 'blue' was flying away and I was not able to see its underwing. I can identify both species. If I made a mistake, so be it. Hope this puts the matter to bed but I'm sure there'll be some comment about how come you got it wrong if you can recognise both species?

Red kite rebuttal statement...........no point, won't change anyones opinion.
Don't forget this is the organisation that wants a 70% badger kill rate in certain areas of the south west. If these 'trials' are considered 'successful' then expect a badger cull to be intensified and extended to other parts of the UK. We could end up with what are euphemistically called badger free zones. These will be managed to prevent future recolonisation by badgers.
Incidentally, read recently a suggestion that badger numbers should be controlled to allow hedgehog populations recover.

Ringing............have no problem as the information recovered often provides invaluable data and assists further research but hope this isn't some sort of fait accompli and will proceed without further discussion.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back