• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (151 Viewers)

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/...ten/15708.html

taken off Norfolk thread:-CJohn

Yet another reason why some humans disgust me to the pit of my stomach, what has gone so wrong with our species that this can be practiced and found acceptable by so many :C

Had a good day, with the Henbrook filling back up with Warblers- had good views of Reed and Sedge Warblers with an individual Water Rail close to the Hide. However, whilst in the Henbrook Hide I noticed this bird (pictured) and I think it could be a Redstart but due to quality I can't be sure. All opinions would be most welcomed.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 15.07.26.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 15.07.26.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 175
Quick visit at lunchtime:-

House Martins over Sailing Pool.
2 Lesser Whitethroat round Sailing Pool.
2 Garden Warbler round Sailing Pool.
1 Grasshopper heard reeling from Moors Car Park.

Had a good day, with the Henbrook filling back up with Warblers- had good views of Reed and Sedge Warblers with an individual Water Rail close to the Hide. However, whilst in the Henbrook Hide I noticed this bird (pictured) and I think it could be a Redstart but due to quality I can't be sure. All opinions would be most welcomed.

Chris

Hi Chris

Looks more like a great tit to me.

Mike

I know this is off topic but just had a pair of these feeding on my bird seed feeder by the time I got my camera ready the one had gone onto the flat roof at the side of my house and the other sat on the fence just outside the lounge window.
I did try and see if they were tame but I got close to the one the other called and they both flew off towards Lutley Wedge via Grange Farm.

If anyone knows the species of Finch they are (zebra me thinks) and do they count as a garden species as they are surely escapee's

Attachments

• ZZZ_11480 (1).JPG
    ZZZ_11480 (1).JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ZZZ_11480 (2).JPG
    ZZZ_11480 (2).JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 95
Caught up with the Grasshopper Warbler this afternoon, reeling in scrub by the entrance to the west track on the Moors. Managed to record it on my phone via the link below. Hope it works!

http://soundcloud.com/gert-corfield...d.com/gert-corfield/grasshopper-warbler-upton

The link worked fine for me Gert, though I had to crank the volume up. Which was fine until the site automatically moved to the next track, a considerably louder recording of Voodoo Chile!!!

Sunday 28th April - late afternoon

MOORS POOL
12 Shoveler (4 pairs + 4 males), Gadwall, 2 Teal (pair), 3 Shelduck, 47 Tufted Duck, 4 Cormorant, 5 GC Grebe, 2+ Little Grebe, 2 Herring Gull, 2 LBB Gull, 2 Mute Swan, 1 LRP, 1 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing, 2 Snipe - 1 Broadmeadow + 1 promontory, 1 Jack Snipe - Broadmeadow, 24 Canada Geese, 2 Coot broods - Broadmeadow + north end of main pool, Jay, c40 Swallows, Hobby (first summer), Red Kite flew south at 5:45 as per Lesser Kestrel + Biking Birder, 2 Dunlin earlier on the Season Pool as per JTB, Nuthatch in the North Moors as per Tim & Mary.

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 3 Tufted Duck, 2 Coot, c70 Swallows, 1 Common Sandpiper, 3 Canada Geeese

FLASHES
23+ Avocet, 3 LRP, 1 Common Sandpiper, 4 Mute Swan, 5 Shelduck (presumably including the Moors birds), 6 Tufted Duck, 1 Grey Heron, Hobby (adult), 2 Canada Geese, 4 Gadwall, ringed Black-headed Gull - white 29J3; will try to track its history down, 3+ Whitethroat by the hide.

Edit: the ringed BHG is from one of the Gloucestershire schemes; I will do a bit more digging.

Last edited:
just some from gladys today,good to see so many this weekend, fellow birders and diverse range of birds.

Attachments

• 28th April 003.jpg
    28th April 003.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 28th April 005.jpg
    28th April 005.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 28th April 006.jpg
    28th April 006.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 28th April 008.jpg
    28th April 008.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 28th April 010.jpg
    28th April 010.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 128
I know this is off topic but just had a pair of these feeding on my bird seed feeder by the time I got my camera ready the one had gone onto the flat roof at the side of my house and the other sat on the fence just outside the lounge window.
I did try and see if they were tame but I got close to the one the other called and they both flew off towards Lutley Wedge via Grange Farm.

If anyone knows the species of Finch they are (zebra me thinks) and do they count as a garden species as they are surely escapee's

I'm with you on Zebra - there are various white type breeds, some which have a funky vertical stripe below the eye. They use a lot of these for studies in uni's and colleges etc and they're a rather popular pet bird species and a fair number escape.

They're originally from Australia and I'm sure there they're probably a garden species.

MOORS POOL
12 Shoveler (4 pairs + 4 males), Gadwall, 2 Teal (pair), 3 Shelduck, 47 Tufted Duck, 4 Cormorant, 5 GC Grebe, 2+ Little Grebe, 2 Herring Gull, 2 LBB Gull, 2 Mute Swan, 1 LRP, 1 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing, 2 Snipe - 1 Broadmeadow + 1 promontory, 1 Jack Snipe - Broadmeadow, 24 Canada Geese, 2 Coot broods - Broadmeadow + north end of main pool, Jay, c40 Swallows, Hobby (first summer), Red Kite flew south at 5:45 as per Lesser Kestrel + Biking Birder, 2 Dunlin earlier on the Season Pool as per JTB, Nuthatch in the North Moors as per Tim & Mary.

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 3 Tufted Duck, 2 Coot, c70 Swallows, 1 Common Sandpiper, 3 Canada Geeese

FLASHES
23+ Avocet, 3 LRP, 1 Common Sandpiper, 4 Mute Swan, 5 Shelduck (presumably including the Moors birds), 6 Tufted Duck, 1 Grey Heron, Hobby (adult), 2 Canada Geese, 4 Gadwall, ringed Black-headed Gull - white 29J3; will try to track its history down, 3+ Whitethroat by the hide.

Plenty of warblers singing all over the reserve, lesser and common whitethroats along west side.
At the Moors water rail was singing in the sluice basin area, in front of the new hide. A 1st summer hobby, flew along the east side mid afternoon.
also 4 Oystercatchers,

For those who may be interested. I have just tallied up my day list for Somerset and UW and saw 98 species for the day!
Contributions from UW being Avo, LRP + Green Sand this afternoon. Cheers for the Guys for getting me onto the Green Sand and Dunlins at the Moors
MB

message for (MB) Graig thanks for all your info my friend.pictures wernt to bad of the woodchat shrike, light was very poor, but hopefully will be going back Wednesday ive added one on my flickr below for ya

message for (MB) Graig thanks for all your info my friend.pictures wernt to bad of the woodchat shrike, light was very poor, but hopefully will be going back Wednesday ive added one on my flickr below for ya

Awesome pic Vern! Very glad you got it and pleasure to help. To have the bird coming that close was just insane! Good work :t:
MB

What time was you there Vern. I was there from just after 11am until 12.20pm.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back