• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

Tuesday work party at Moors 14th Feb 2012

The 12 of us continued the pretty mundane task of cutting the thousands of willow wisps, these are the 1 years growth of the coppiced willows.
Although not visually impacting , this work is essential to keep the marsh wet.
The majority were in and around the old east hide area. We will endeavour to remove the cuttings off site into the peripheral vegetation. We also removed some larger trees from the east hide bramble fence lines.
The area were the 'intruders' gained access was made secure with more dead hedging and extra lines of barbed wire attached to the boundary fence.
On the southern boundary the final link of dead hedging was woven into the fence line. This material was taken from 4 old 'brash piles' in the middle of the meadow and more willow growth around the lagoon.
This final link of 50 metres was attached to a large bramble patch. In time this bramble will cover the whole length of the boundary fence.
3 pics show 1.the final link of dead hedge
2.the large bramble patch and 3. the Lagoon promontory where the brash was removed. The remaining trees will be coppiced next week.

Attachments

• forum southern boundary dead hedge (2).jpg
    forum southern boundary dead hedge (2).jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 80
  • forum large southern bramble patch (2).jpg
    forum large southern bramble patch (2).jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 78
  • forum lagoon promontary    (2).jpg
    forum lagoon promontary (2).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 77
Birding at the Moors which by the end of the day was 50% open.

Terry Norledge had an Oyc first thing.

The very strong NW wind kept the passerines down, but encouraged a regular northerly movement of Herring gulls throughout the day.
Species count:
GCG 3, little grebe, cormorant 10,Mute swan pr, coot 150, water rail several calling around the reed beds. Shoveler 8, Gadwall pr, teal 40, Pochard 17, Tufted 25, snipe 4 flushed from lagoon area, lapwing 100+, curlew 13, Herring gull 75+,
Kestrel (fem) my 1st of the year. Glen H had two displaying.
B :)John
The kestrel hovered directly above the area from where that we had removed the old brash. There was plenty of nesting material amongst the old brash so presumably displaced rodents attracted the kestrel. Its very intriguing how the Kestrel suddenly appears when a food source is made available, just a pity it wasn't a SEowl.

Last edited:
Birding at the Moors which by the end of the day was 50% open.

Terry Norledge had an Oyc first thing.

The very strong NW wind kept the passerines down, but encouraged a regular northerly movement of Herring gulls throughout the day.
Species count:
GCG 3, little grebe, cormorant 10,Mute swan pr, coot 150, water rail several calling around the reed beds. Shoveler 8, Gadwall pr, teal 40, Pochard 17, Tufted 25, snipe 4 flushed from lagoon area, lapwing 100+, curlew 13, Herring gull 75+,
Kestrel (fem) my 1st of the year. Glen H had two displaying.

Oystercatcher
is the 86th species for the year (interestingly the same day that Grimley recorded their first bird of the year)

Just back from the mecca,
Had a walk around the Flashes with the Trust. Found a few possible fox weakness's in the fence and came up with a few remedies.
Whilst there flushed 9 common snipe also 20 odd Teal, also siskin and 20 fieldfare.

At the Moors
Again the strong NW winds tucked all the waterfowl up against the western sedge and reed bed. The choppy water seemed to stir up the activity with a lot of diving and flying going on, by all species but none more so than by the marauding sparrowhawks.
species counts
GCG 2, little grebe, shelduck, shoveler 9, teal 60, pochard 24, tufted 26, coot 150, cormorant 18, Snipe 3, lapwing 200+, curlew 16,
herring gull 20 (mostly overhead)

Last edited:
Just back from the mecca,
Had a walk around the Flashes with the Trust. Found a few possible fox weakness's in the fence and came up with a few remedies.
Whilst there flushed 9 common snipe also 20 odd Teal, also siskin and 20 fieldfare.

What was odd about the Teal?? ;) (other than we have STILL yet to record a Green-winged)

Work party at the Flashes

Just a quick reminder that there will be an additional work party at the Flashes this Sunday ahead of the final event of the year on the 4th March.

The weather forecast is dry which will assist in our work of attaching the fox fencing to the hide, modifications to the fence in its weak points, blocking up identified gaps in the fence, removing encroaching reeds from the near shore, clearing the islands and (time permitting) a first strim of the foreshore.

Are they still working on the hide? No mention of anything this week, derogatory or otherwise ;)

Must confess Phil saved me the trouble of posting a query about the odd Teal :-O Oh, it appears he didn't - sorry.

Are they still working on the hide? No mention of anything this week, derogatory or otherwise ;)...

There was work happening on Tuesday. I couldn't get near enough to see actual progress as they've moved the tapes further down the boardwalk - fed up of people asking when they'll be finished I expect.

Paul

Hello all,

Another off-topic question from me:
Is there a chance that kingfishers will be seen at slightly muddy waters like the Birmingham-Worcester canal? I wonder whether they need much clearer water to go fishing.
[Also, if anyone can tell me how to find threads more suitable to ask such questions, please let me know. My search for a "kingfisher" thread via search function pointed me only to ancient/exotic ones...]

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hello all,

Is there a chance that kingfishers will be seen at slightly muddy waters like the Birmingham-Worcester canal? I wonder whether they need much clearer water to go fishing.
[Also, if anyone can tell me how to find threads more suitable to ask such questions, please let me know. My search for a "kingfisher" thread via search function pointed me only to ancient/exotic ones...]

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, I don't know too much about the ecology of kingfishers, but as they rely on spotting their prey before making an attack I imagine that it would prove difficult in muddier water, however that's not to say they would'nt try. Afterall they have to eat and even the clearest of water will be disturbed by rain.
Also they generally prefer to use shalloweer areas of their habitat so their prey will be closer to the surface. Hope that helps, I'm sure somebody on here will have a much more precise answer.

Hello all,

Kind regards,
Daniel

Off Topic even more.....

If Muddy Waters was there they may enjoy the Blues music !

Oystercatcher on the Moors this morning-good news! Bad news also a mink carrying what I think is a coot. Sent a text to Ivan & he is actioning! First one I think since end of Sept last year.

Rob

Some grab shots from this morning at the moors from the Water Rail Hide.
Little Grebe, Oystercatcher, Minlk with prey.
I know they are bad shots but can anyone ID the small wader? in flight. There were two flying around with the Lapwings when they got spooked. Thought they were Snipe to start with but beak looks to small.

Rob

Attachments

• Web _ROB9217.jpg
    Web _ROB9217.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Web _ROB9234.jpg
    Web _ROB9234.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Web _ROB9235.jpg
    Web _ROB9235.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Web _ROB9240.jpg
    Web _ROB9240.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Web _ROB9249.jpg
    Web _ROB9249.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 114
Hello all,

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Some info on that question here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11673044 which says clean water is a must.

I have watched them at Upton Warren fish with some success in all sorts of conditions though i.e. when the wind was chopping the water & when there was a layer of dust/scum all over the surface but do seem to do best when the water is fairly still & there is good light.
They are seen on canals as well.

Rob
Upton Warren images here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant

Hi Rob
misread your original post originally, I'm going to suggest Golden Plover ? ( sure one of the experts can confirm /correct though)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your helpful replies!

And Rob, good to see your flickr stream is still up, I was looking for that recently but couldn't find it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back