• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

As mentioned up-thread the Trust's contractors are currently carrying out extensive works at the Flashes. This has seen the cutting of virtually all the reedbeds on the eastern and southern sides of the Flashes and the erecting of stock fencing. This fencing effectively divides the Flashes into segments as follows (might make more sense if someone could take some photos and post or even draw a quick map):

(1) A fence line runs from the gate from the sewage works reedbed to the shore just right (south) of the sewage works reedbed, creating a large area (effectively the sewage work meadow).
(2) A second fence line runs from the shore right of the sewage work reedbed to the boundary just the north of the large oak tree, enclosing an area which includes the blackthorn scrub.
(3) A third fence lines along the shore from south of the sewage meadow reedbed and then cuts across to the third Flash at the shortest point between the second and third Flashes, enclosing an area from the oak tree to the northern reedbed of the third Flash.
(4) A fourth fence line that runs parallel to (3) and across the southern shore of the third Flash, creating an final large enclosed area from the third Flash around to the secondary fox fence immediately right of the hide.

Whilst it is wonderful to see the Flashes largerly (tempoarily) cleared of reeds providing a large open vista for waders I do have a nunber of serious concerns although its far too late to do anything about them::

- I would have thought that reeds that had been treated in late autumn with herbicide would have been kept in situ to maximise the opportunity for the chemicals to be drawn into the rhizomes to be most effective.
- I still remain deeply sceptical, based on my observations, that the "cut and chomp" approach is an effective method of controlling the growth and spread of phragmites; strimming only seems to promote more vigorous re-growth whilst cattle appear unwilling to eat the emerging fresh shoots (may be concentrating the cattle into smaller areas will leave them with no choice)
- The potential danger the fences pose to birds in flight, particularly those moving between the second and third Flashes; this could be mitigated by fluttering hazard tape or similar but will look unsightly.
- The impact the fence lines along the shore will have on the behaviour of feeding waders, particularly if corvids and raptors use them as perching posts. Whilst the south-eastern shore of the second Flash is less important nowadays for migrating Green Sandpiper, in recent years it does regularly hold up to 3 Avocet family parties over the summer plus young Lapwing and Oystercatcher.
- The timing of the works suggests that any grazing this year will have to extend well into the breeding season. Whilst the presence of cattle will hopefully be beneficial to the likes of Yellow Wagtail and young Lapwing in uncovering invertebrates, there is the potential for ground nesting birds to be disturbed, particularly if the livestock are in a limited area.

All the above has left me feeling rather disillusioned and lacking faith that the Trust has a clear and sensible approach to the management of the Flashes; I hope I can eat my words. In the meantime I suspect I won't be able to summon up the enthusiasm to return to Upton Warren until spring migration is underway :-C Perhaps a break will help me reconnect with the reserve.

Last edited:
Contract work FLASHES

:cat:the fencing work has now been completed.
I will mention Phil's concerns to the Trust and get a better picture of what will be happening over the next few months. I am concerned that bird strikes (into barbed wire ) could be a problem . In the past we have put heavy duty tape on wire that is close to water. This coming year will be an interesting one, especially at the Flashes. The phragmites problem is a major threat to the wellbeing of the Flashes and hopefully this will be the start of the revival of the site. The water levels will also be different so all round there will be a lot going on. This will require thorough monitoring of birds interactions with the change in habitat and grazing regime at the Flashes. So your input will be most welcome. Put any observations in the Log book and or post on here, including bird species, numbers and where they are feeding. It will certainly be different at the Flashes this year but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a bad thing. Interesting times ahead.:t: John;)

Last edited:
Was it a Curlew Sand or Pec Sand that previously got caught by a waterside fence (removed some time ago) that lingered for some time before succumbing?

At the flashes at dusk tonight within mins. had a large number of B.H. Gulls drop down ( lost count at 600+ ) with more dropping in - is this the norm. for this time of year ?

At the flashes at dusk tonight within mins. had a large number of B.H. Gulls drop down ( lost count at 600+ ) with more dropping in - is this the norm. for this time of year ?

Think most of them came from the Moors, perhaps misty conditions dissuaded them from heading off to Westwood or Bartley?

Caspian Gulls now roosting on a semi regular basis at Bittell - must be an improved chance of one dropping in for a pre roost wash and brush up?

As alluded to above, viewing conditions were far from optimal at the Moors from 15.15-17.00. Not much present due to the late timing of my visit and the dull, misty outlook. A Little Egret was on Amy's plus a few Snipe and 13 Curlew. Wildfowl counts were probably lower than they would have been if less mist was about, but Teal 70+, Gadwall 3, Shoveler 15+, Pochard 10+, Tufted Duck 10+, Little Grebe 2-3. Few passerines in evidence as it was a bit late, but there was a Water Rail on the feeding station plus at least three more calling along the west side. One of the Golden Pheasants, a male, was feeding along the road by the paddock...

:cat:the fencing work has now been completed.
I will mention Phil's concerns to the Trust and get a better picture of what will be happening over the next few months. I am concerned that bird strikes (into barbed wire ) could be a problem . In the past we have put heavy duty tape on wire that is close to water. This coming year will be an interesting one, especially at the Flashes. The phragmites problem is a major threat to the wellbeing of the Flashes and hopefully this will be the start of the revival of the site. The water levels will also be different so all round there will be a lot going on. This will require thorough monitoring of birds interactions with the change in habitat and grazing regime at the Flashes. So your input will be most welcome. Put any observations in the Log book and or post on here, including bird species, numbers and where they are feeding. It will certainly be different at the Flashes this year but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a bad thing. Interesting times ahead.:t: John;)
When you say the water levels will be different this year, in what way?

Caspian Gulls now roosting on a semi regular basis at Bittell - must be an improved chance of one dropping in for a pre roost wash and brush up?

Do you visit Bittell Phil ....if not does the grapevine let you know sightings for all your brill lists.....there always seems a lack of general sightings from around there.
I struggle to see things in the distance due to lack of equipment so don't visit the Gull roosts but would love to know what the local blokes always record every day they scan it.

When you say the water levels will be different this year, in what way?

We will be starting with a slightly lower spring level. Levels will be lower each year thereafter but ONLY if mitigation work is carried out. This would involve de-silting several parts of the flashes to ensure that we have water in the 2nd Flash throughout the summer.

interesting and noisy last few hours around the place this evening.5th photo showing some of the cattle fencing.

Attachments

• IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4424.JPG
    IMG_4424.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4429.JPG
    IMG_4429.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 137
As no-one seems to have been around yesterday, I'd Better add that I had 2 Dunlin on the Flashes yesterday plus a flyover adult Common Gull over the sailing pool. In total I had 57 species for my first visit this year-indeed since early November!

Jared

As no-one seems to have been around yesterday, I'd Better add that I had 2 Dunlin on the Flashes yesterday plus a flyover adult Common Gull over the sailing pool. In total I had 57 species for my first visit this year-indeed since early November!

Jared

Cheers Jared - the year list limps to 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back