• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Pictures taken today

Distant shots of Jack Snipe showing on Pool Island.
Whooper Swan taken from West Hide.

Attachments

• Jack Snipe-4630.jpg
    Jack Snipe-4630.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Jack Snipe-4633.jpg
    Jack Snipe-4633.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 95
  • whooper swan-4679.jpg
    whooper swan-4679.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 65
  • whooper swan-4685.jpg
    whooper swan-4685.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 55
Not sure how many records of Siberian Chiffchaff we have had - seen to recall Andy Warr having one in the Education Reserve the same time as the Yellow-browed. Dusky Warbler would be a good outside bet.

Water Rail
Light not the best
new hide looks very promising for the future
fantastic day and nice to see a few old faces great company as always

Attachments

• DSC_8957000000.jpg
    DSC_8957000000.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Today at the MOORS

With rain expected for the first half of the morning I wasn't too optimistic about any Vis-migging opportunities.
I was still determined to be at the East hide for first light and also because the weather forecasters are usually wrong8-P.
I arrived in the dark at 6.45am . Well once again the forecasters were wrong!!! This time the rain was heavier than expected and continued until 8am. After this I started a Vis-Mig from the balcony of the East hide but the wind was a strong North westerly and nothing was happening then the rain restarted so back into the hide . I had already logged some decent species blackwit, whooper and jack snipe. A bit of blue appeared in the sky the wind dropped and the rain stopped . So back out the back of the hide....chaffinch, Redwing and starlings in small numbers were the only 'movers'.
At 9am I walked to the east gate where the sky was big and birds started to appear. A sizable flock of redpoll a few Redwing , the odd siskin , several chaffinch and greenfinch flew over. At 9.40 I noticed a group of Redwing fly into the yew tree in front of the Moors house. I took my bins down briefly and saw two starling sized birds flying slowly over the house in a N/NW. I quickly got my bins on to them immediately massive front end , shortish tail and most obvious of all the predominantly white primaries on the upper and underwings. Wow!!! at last I was in the club. - the hawfinch 2017 club that is. :t:
Unfortunately it all happened in seconds and no one would be twitching them..thus no texts from me. Luckily one observer was strategically positioned at the bench in the North Moors plantation - Well done Paul R he picked them up as they flew off towards Bromsgrove.
Although not a rarity it is a bird that I would never have expected to see at #uptonwarren. o:)
After this unforgettable albeit short chapter in my birding career at #uptonwarren I went off to the Flashes to have a look at the Rejuvenation work now that it has finished.

MOORS species count:
Little grebe 2. Mute Swan 24. WHOOPER SWAN. greylag 50. Cormorant 10. Shoveler 27. Teal 54. Pochard 7. Tufted 12. Coot 160. Water rail 2. Snipe 11. Jack snipe. Black tailed godwit. Lapwing 120. Seversl hundred gulls dropped in on way to their feeding grounds.
Stock dove 8. Kingfisher. Song thrush 3. Redwing 45. Cetti's. Pied wag 3. Starling 60. Greenfinch 3. Goldfinch 10. Siskin 3 redpoll 30. Bullfinch 2. Chaffinch 10. HAWFINCH 2. reed bunting

FLASHES:
Teal 23. Lapwing 210. Redshank 2 flew to Moors. Grey wag. Pied wag 5. Meadow pipit 6. Linnet 2. Redpoll 12.

SAILING pool:
GCG 6. Little egret over towards MOORS.
Today I saw 8 species of Finch the first time I have ever seen this many at the reserve.

Last edited:
The Hawfinch floodgates are now truly open - two flew west calling over the Moors Pool at 07.45 as per Dave J

Also Whooper Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, Jack Snipe, 3 Wigeon, 13 Pochard and Gadwall.

Also this morning at the Moors as per Dave:

7 Meadow Pipit, Redpoll, 3 Siskin, 10 Curlew, big movement of Wood Pigeon (4,120 so far).

A very brief visit to the Moors Pools today produced the following species:

Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Cormorant, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe, Lapwing, Black-Tailed Godwit, Black-Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Blackbird, Dunnock, Robin, Blue Tit, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Glad I was finally able to see the new hide- looks very promising for greater coverage of the North Moors now.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back