• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent - Argyll Windfarm More Turbines Planned (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Folks,

I received this late last night, please sign.

Ann :egghead:

Date: 9th October 2007

Dear all,

Forgive us for imposing and asking for your help yet again, but we have a potentially grave situation developing in North Argyll. WRP wind have an advanced planning application for fourteen 110metre high wind turbines that would sit above Loch Awe and dominate the road and rail route to Oban.
Located in one of the Scotlands most productive Golden Eagle breading areas, Stacain would kill one of these magnificent birds each year
Argyll and Butes planners are recommending the application is refused and Scottish Natural heritage (The Scottish Governments natural heritage advisers) have lodged a very strong objection. There is local opposition, but the area is sparsly populated and to date the local group have managed 100 objections. They face a decision on the 20th of November by the Oban area councilors, who have in the past gone against planners advice. AWF have put a website together for this small community and we would ask you to please object if you possibly can.
Please take one minute to object at www.stopstacain.com . Potentially one Golden Eagle saved for each 3 seconds of your time
Thank you for helping the people, landscape and birds of North Argyll.
Alan Stobie
On Behalf of AWF's Directors

Done that.
I had an e-mail the other day syaing that one of the Scottish sites (it was the Alt Dearg proposal)I had objected to had had planning permission rejected. So it does work sometimes. B :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks everyone.

Alan and Colin - I think anyone who signed the first ever appeal against the Argyll windfarms is kept up to date with developments as they happen and it is a good thing too, we might have missed this one as the company concerned seem to be in a hurry to get on with it.

I had some lovely holidays in Oban and around Loch Awe many years ago and would hate to see the beauty and peace of the area destroyed.

Ann :egghead::flowers:

signed

Not only would it be a potential killer for the wildlife, it'd be an eyesore in an area that relies heavily on the tourist trade.

I have only just noticed this appeal and have sent in my objection. I know the area well and find the proposal abhorrent.

Andrew

Done that.
I had an e-mail the other day syaing that one of the Scottish sites (it was the Alt Dearg proposal)I had objected to had had planning permission rejected. So it does work sometimes. B :)

Sorry to say that it appears that your email was mistaken. Today I've had a letter from Argyll & Bute Council concerning the "Proposed 14 Turbine Windfarm (Known as Allt Dearg), Cruach A, Dhubhill....."

It advises that;

"the Council, at its meeting on 26 September 2007, agreed to hold a discretionary local hearing in advance of determining the application. At this meeting they also agreed that a Special Committee be convened to hold this hearing and that this Committee have powers to determine the application."

It invites me as an objector to attend the discretionary hearing at Ardrishaig, Argyll on 13th November at 10.30am.

It appears that the final stone is not yet cast in this battle.

Incidentally, for those who claim that windfarms have a small footprint, I've taken the opportunity to scan the map attached to the procedure note they sent. This proposal of 14 turbines takes up about 5 square kilometres, plus another strip for the access corridor.

Attachments

• Allt Dearg windfarm site copy.jpg
    Allt Dearg windfarm site copy.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back