• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA, Minnesota, two short audio clips, bird not seen, possibly Bald Eagle? (1 Viewer)

The first one sounds like a Blue Jay. The second one sounds like a Blue Jay imitating a Red-tailed Hawk.

I'm the last person one should ask about audio, but I don't hear the harshness that would be typical of a jay. They both have a slightly gullish quality to them - something about the way the note slides around. The calls seem too short for red-tail to me. I haven't heard a lot of bald eagles (they're pretty quiet most of the time) but some kind of raptor seems like a good starting point. Juvenile hawk? Osprey?

The first is definitely a Blue Jay. The second is almost certainly a Blue Jay imitating a begging Red-tailed Hawk- though I can't completely rule out a real Redtail, the very short first note of the second recording sounds very much like a Blue Jay. BLJA's frequently imitate the sound of a begging Redtail (as well as the more usual keeeearrrr of a Redtail).

Osprey is virtually nonexistent in Minnesota by mid November.

I don't hear Bald Eagle at all. I still think that it is a Blue Jay imitating a Red-tailed Hawk.

Last edited:
Both recordings are Blue Jay, first one is a bit grating how often I hear it in my local park while searching for migratory songbirds. Second one is a bit less obvious, but Bald Eagle would be a bit more repetitive/stronger while Blue Jay tends to mimic a call but not give enough enunciation to it, feels closer to what you'd hear when they are communicating between birds in the same foraging/family group.

I think Blue Jay as well. But I really suck at birding by ear so don't put too much stock in my opinion.

I think they're both Blue Jays. They do a remarkably good job of imitation. Like, other birds that mimic give themselves away somehow (specific notes for that species or rapid progression to other songs) but Blue Jays have the ability to never give up the ruse.

Thank you all for listening and commenting. The more I listen the more I agree. It is not the first time a jay has fooled me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back