• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA Shutdown, impact on state parks? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
All national parks effectively closed, presumably this also includes national wildlife refuges such as Merritt Island in Florida, etc. (?)

What about State Parks however, eg Año Nuevo State Park - funded by individual states, are these also affected?

I hope they get it sorted before we get to Florida next month. Merritt Island and Lake Woodruffe are priorities for me in Nov. or early December.

In the case of Yosemite, there is still limited possibility to get in - the through roads will remain open, but stopping and 'recreating' from the roads is prohibited. I think a few engineered car problems would arise beneath my bonnet/hood on rather many occasions whilst passing through :)

Last edited:
Yes, state parks shouldn't be affected- but all federal parks are closed. I think even some National Forest Service land has restricted access- I read that Madera Canyon is closed- although I don't know how much. I sure hope this charade doesn't last long.

National forest are not shut down. Any/or most recreation areas contained within them are. That could be day use picnic grounds, or camp grounds, etc. Usually those spots are fee based also. Many of those spots shut down over the winter regardless. Of course, states are funded & operated separately. Curious how this effects the corp. of engineers, and water levels on the Mississippi flyway. Some federally owned spots within the riparion zone, have managed gates that control water levels. Obviously the corp. wouldn't shut down human river traffic, but a lot of waterfowl comes down that river also. Trumpeter swans 'gotta' eat too

Last edited:
Why?
????
I understood that USA has a financial crisis and cannot fund national parks. But I don't quite get why just recreational areas would be closed, as I guess they are what brings money to the park, so if you close them you actually lose money???

I understood that USA has a financial crisis and cannot fund national parks. But I don't quite get why just recreational areas would be closed, as I guess they are what brings money to the park, so if you close them you actually lose money???

This has nothing to do with a financial crisis, more with a political crisis....:-C

Why?
????

The waterfowl and shorebirds coming down the river, are not strictly on the main channel. Some areas such as below at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary, have control points (valves) that are regulated manually. That is the concern and an unanswered question. Currently, at the spot depicted below, levels are lower and mimic late summer-early fall historic levels. Soon, those control points would be adjusted to allow more water in, which again reflects on historical records of wet periods about to come (hopefully).

The river has been channelized, and straightened for commercial traffic from Iowa, to the gulf and there is no place the main channel for waterfowl and shorebirds. They require areas as below, and places such as that are in a state of flux right now. Forty percent of North Americas shorebirds and waterfowl come through here, those animals cant afford to take a hit when they are most vulnerable. (Trumpeters in image below)

The federal recreation areas often have services such as potable water, sanitary installations, and so on. That infrastructure requires maintenance. Someone has to clean the outhouse, pick up the trash, collect parking fees, etc. The national forest on the other hand, are "primitive" and do not require the daily custodial up keep.

Attachments

• IMGP7959.jpg
    IMGP7959.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Cheers, just watched the news as well ...

Seems a bit crazy, but then I guess politics sometimes is.

Some areas such as below at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary, have control points (valves) that are regulated manually. That is the concern and an unanswered question.

You'd hope that conscientious persons would 'do the right thing' even if they weren't being paid to ... although I imagine that could involve a whole lot of insurance and legal matters ...

You'd hope that conscientious persons would 'do the right thing' even if they weren't being paid to ... although I imagine that could involve a whole lot of insurance and legal matters ...

Unfortunately, my understanding (after talking with some government employees) is that they could lose their jobs if caught working during the shutdown.

A colleague left a few days ago from New Zealand to visit whale collections at the Smithsonian (critical for his dissertation research). He is now stuck trying to arrange visits to inferior collections with several more weeks in the states before the Society of vert paleo conference.

In the case of Yosemite, there is still limited possibility to get in - the through roads will remain open, but stopping and 'recreating' from the roads is prohibited. I think a few engineered car problems would arise beneath my bonnet/hood on rather many occasions whilst passing through :)

I don't understand; what is to stop you getting out of your car and having a walk? I can see that campsites etc. might be closed but how can an area the size of Yosemite be closed?

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back