• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA--Southwest--AZ--Maricopa County--City if Maricopa (1 Viewer)

AngelainAZ

Hello:

I've tried searching the forum but am getting an "image error" when I try different search strings so I have had no luck finding the information I am looking for, so I hope I can post this kind of request.

First, I love birds. I am not really a watcher but have taken many photos of all kinds of birds from all over the world back when I traveled a lot.

Now that I have settled down I don't get to do much of that any longer.

I am hoping someone can help me identify the birds in the video here https://youtu.be/VfJ1ttu_Dns and the photo I took around 5:30 PM on November 22, 2017.

These birds are black with what appears to be a reddish brown underbelly (may have been the light) and are about the size of a small chicken.

I have lived in my house for the past year. The entire neighborhood had hundreds, if not more, of these birds.

There are beautiful and graceful when they fly. Their sounds are pleasant and don't bother any of my neighbors that I know of or our family.

The issue is... our tree is directly over our driveway and we cannot keep it, the cars in the driveway and that park in front of our home or our walkway and entrance to our home clean. There are 25-30 birds in the tree all the time. Perhaps more.

I am hoping someone here can 1) identify the birds and 2) tell me how to humanly keep them out of our tree.

I don't want to hurt them. I just don't want to have to continue walking through their mess to get into my home and to have to clean up after them daily.

Can anyone help?

Thanking everyone in advance.

Angela in Arizona

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171122-172249 (2).jpg
    Screenshot_20171122-172249 (2).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 55
They look like Grackles to me.

If they like that tree, short of cutting it down or netting it over, I doubt that you will stop them using it?

A

Get a recording of their distress call (the sound of one being attacked by a raptor), and play that every time they come to the tree?

Thanks everyone for helping me identify these birds. I have never heard of them before.

After reading about them, they seem very smart.

And thanks to Nutcracker for the suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back