• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

usa (1 Viewer)

Vocifer

USA Birding, LA & TX

I was in the USA in July this year. We visited Lost Maples SNA, in Texas. Although extremely hot, we did see some nice birds for a newcomer. (My first birding in the USA)
I am completely baffled with these birds. Although the features look pretty straightforward, I cannot match them to any bird in my Sibley’s field guide. I would appreciate some help. From past experience the birds look like they are from the same species, possibly male and female, although I could be wrong:
ev6nud.jpg

2ekkynr.jpg

xn87q0.jpg

141v9mq.jpg

6tmpsi.jpg

2n69cg8.jpg

jqtati.jpg

Last edited:
Black crested Titmouse?

Andy

edit you added several so my answer is to your original post

Last edited:
You've got 2 different species there, a titmouse and a chickadee. I'd guess Black-crested Titmouse and Carolina Chickadee, but don't have a guide book here. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct soon.

Thank you Andy. The field guide does look a bit different and the flanks are buffy, but I agree with you. Larry, the bird list of the reserve mentions only Carolina chickadee and I also agree with you. Again, the guide is a bit misleading.
These next birds were also seen at the same spot and have me stumped. I am looking at the sparrows, but they are difficult for a USA foreigner. Unfortunately I have no other info like sound and behaviour?
25tw507.jpg

160ye7c.jpg

2ee9189.jpg

Not sure if these are the same:
34zlxkg.jpg

1jvud3.jpg

This bird also visited the feeder and was more skittish (Also a sparrow?):
2z7g29f.jpg

35jasrt.jpg

1+3 House Sparrow?
2 female northern Cardinal?

Andy

EDIT Last 2 are sparrows, but wait for a local to id sp. Nearest I could find is Lark Bunting but don't knoe for sure

Last edited:
Thank you again.

Seen in Bayou Black, Louisiana. It is just a Common Grackle female?
2ps0qaf.jpg

Seen at Lake Calcasieu, Louisiana:
Also Common Grackle (Male)?
igygy8.jpg

kdlmo4.jpg

The white on the wings and nape confuse me with this bird. Is it also a Grackle?:
szkho7.jpg

adckl1.jpg

You've got 2 different species there, a titmouse and a chickadee. I'd guess Black-crested Titmouse and Carolina Chickadee, but don't have a guide book here. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct soon.

What is interesting here is that the bird list of the reserve does not mention Black-crested Titmouse but only Tufted Titmouse! However this can only be Black-crested.

What is interesting here is that the bird list of the reserve does not mention Black-crested Titmouse but only Tufted Titmouse! However this can only be Black-crested.

Here is a quote from Cornell which explains it.
"A bird of Texas and northeastern Mexico, the Black-crested Titmouse is common in oak woods and towns. It was once considered a subspecies of the Tufted Titmouse, and the two species are very similar in appearance, voice, and habits."

The bird list could be older than the new classification.

Andy

Thank you again.

2ps0qaf.jpg

igygy8.jpg

kdlmo4.jpg

The white on the wings and nape confuse me with this bird. Is it also a Grackle?:
szkho7.jpg

adckl1.jpg

The first is either a Great-tailed or Boat-tailed Grackle. The others are all of Red-winged Blackbirds.

Thank you again.

2ps0qaf.jpg

igygy8.jpg

kdlmo4.jpg

szkho7.jpg

adckl1.jpg

2 and 3 look like Red winged Blackbird to me. Note much shorter bill

Andy

EDIT Sorry Andrew parallel post

Again I tend to agree. Seeing the habitat, a swamp, it should then rather be Boat-tailed? I saw a female and a chick earlier.

Attachments

• _SPO0445_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO0445_edited-1.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 155
The last few ID's I want help with are attached. Taken in Bandera, TX. Mid July near a stream.
I think it might be Pine Warbler. Also looked at Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Gey Vireo and Flycatchers. Discarded all by virtue of season, distribution and features ie bill. There might of course be more than one ID. I have no info regarding behaviour or calls.

Attachments

• _SPO1154_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO1154_edited-1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 174
  • _SPO1158_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO1158_edited-1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 158
  • _SPO1184_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO1184_edited-1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 165
  • _SPO1191_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO1191_edited-1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 159
The last few ID's I want help with are attached. Taken in Bandera, TX. Mid July near a stream.
I think it might be Pine Warbler. Also looked at Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Gey Vireo and Flycatchers. Discarded all by virtue of season, distribution and features ie bill. There might of course be more than one ID. I have no info regarding behaviour or calls.

#1 Eastern Phoebe
#2 Female House Sparrow
#3 Young Eastern Bluebird
#4 Vermillion Flycatcher

Thanks Beakgeek. Would this also be Rufous -crowned Sparrow?

Attachments

• _SPO1107_edited-1.jpg
    _SPO1107_edited-1.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back