• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using DS eyepieces for viewing on a ED82 fieldscope? (1 Viewer)

MC vs DS

Note: 30XDS has a whopping 7.5 mm exit pupil on the ED82 scopes. Yes, it's an obvious error.

I own the 30/50/75 DS eyepieces and the MC2 30X.
I believe the Nikon eye relief numbers are accurate for the DS eyepieces.
The MC and DS 30X are not the same to my eyes. I much prefer the DS.
All the DS eyepieces are sharp across the FOV.
I ONLY use the 75X to view the night sky...Trapezium is a favorite target. Otherwise, it's easier to use the 25-75X zoom for high mags.
A few days ago, I was observing the moon before sunset with the 30X DS. Great views but I was curious. I put the 75X DS on and enjoyed absolutely spectacular views of the moon's surface until my 100' poplars blocked my view. I have a Kowa 883 but the 75X only fits on the Nikon! Now, I'm seriously considering the 1.6 multiplier for the Kowa. Does it ever end?

A few days ago, I was observing the moon before sunset with the 30X DS. Great views but I was curious. I put the 75X DS on and enjoyed absolutely spectacular views of the moon's surface until my 100' poplars blocked my view. I have a Kowa 883 but the 75X only fits on the Nikon! Now, I'm seriously considering the 1.6 multiplier for the Kowa. Does it ever end?
I can recommend the 1.6x extender for Kowa 883. Great for watching the moon in detail and it's surprisingly usable in birding also. Of course seeing has to be good and exit pupil @96x will be quite small so you need reasonably bright conditions. It's very useful for digiscoping also.

I have personally used just one extender but there are reports that with good samples of 883 one can stack two extenders to get even more magnification.

Regards, Juhani

Just want to chime in as a former ED3 82 owner - settled on the DS 30 eyepiece - still use it with my ED50 - I think it is a flat out wonderful eyepiece. I love using it for shorebird viewing, etc. - lots of view to take in, really high quality.

Just want to chime in as a former ED3 82 owner - settled on the DS 30 eyepiece - still use it with my ED50 - I think it is a flat out wonderful eyepiece. I love using it for shorebird viewing, etc. - lots of view to take in, really high quality.

I have now used my ED82 for a few months, including a birding festival in May and a week long birding trip to Churchill Manitoba.

I have pretty much used my 38x MC 95% of the time. The MCII zoom can get a bit more resolution if the air is very still, but most of the time you are limited by mirage even at 38x so the added magnification isn't of any help. 38x is also wide enough with the 72°AFOV to find things easily. I think it's perfect. I may still get a 30x in the future, but I'm really liking the 38x.

The scope itself has been fantastic. So sharp.

I have now used my ED82 for a few months, including a birding festival in May and a week long birding trip to Churchill Manitoba.

I have pretty much used my 38x MC 95% of the time. The MCII zoom can get a bit more resolution if the air is very still, but most of the time you are limited by mirage even at 38x so the added magnification isn't of any help. 38x is also wide enough with the 72°AFOV to find things easily. I think it's perfect. I may still get a 30x in the future, but I'm really liking the 38x.

The scope itself has been fantastic. So sharp.
This is the same progression I went through. Now that I have both, deciding between the 30x and 38x is pretty tough. If it is fairly bright and calm it will be the 38, and if its cloudy or rainy and windy the 30. You would certainly be perfectly content just using the 38x universally, I did that for years.

I ordered both the DS 30x and the DS 75x. I'm fairly new to this but I understand they both don't come with twist up eye cups. Is it possible to buy the eye cups somewhere? I think I would be ok for myself but my wife always prefers more distance between the lens and her eyes.

I ordered both the DS 30x and the DS 75x. I'm fairly new to this but I understand they both don't come with twist up eye cups. Is it possible to buy the eye cups somewhere? I think I would be ok for myself but my wife always prefers more distance between the lens and her eyes.
Think you can sometimes get the twist eye cups from Japan, but they are expensive for what they are.
A forum member gave me instructions to 3D print an eyepiece for the DS x30, it works really well. Depends on whether you know someone with a 3D printer!

Thanks. Do you think the #D Printed eye cups would also fit the DS x75?
I do know someone with a 3D printer, would you know how I could go about getting instructions to print them?

Thanks. Do you think the #D Printed eye cups would also fit the DS x75?
I do know someone with a 3D printer, would you know how I could go about getting instructions to print them?
If the x30 eyepiece diameter is the same as the x75 it should fit, but i dont have the latter so cant be 100% sure.
I was emailed the 3D blueprints for the eyepiece, I will see if i can find them and get back to you.

This the eyepiece cup. Is a tight fit so might be a little difficult to take on and off easily. Works really well though as an eye cup, and looks ok!

I actually found getting used to the DS eyepieces without any eyecup quite easy. Took some time, of course, but nowadays I don't even notice that there's no eyecup.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back