• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Van-Ernest", mysterious Dutch naturalist of late 18th century (1 Viewer)

vinividivici

Dear people,

With some reluctance – because the person is not commemorated in any ornithological eponym – I’d like to ask for your assistance in figuring out who “Van-Ernest” was. Always impressed by what forum members here are able to figure out collectively.

He is accredited with the names Falco testaceus, Loxia gularis, L. superciliosa, L. ochrocephala, and L. mystacea by & in Daudin (1800), although authorship likely in the end lies with Daudin, who was responsible for composing the descriptions probably, and surely for publishing them (see Article 50.1.1 of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature). But still, in that tangential sense, this makes him maybe worthy of your consideration.

I have encountered his name almost exclusively in the works of François M. Daudin, who is primarily known as a herpetological author, but also coined a number of bird names and garnered some eponyms (and subject of discussion on this forum before). For further information about Daudin, please see Bour (2011, 2014). I contacted Roger Bour (now deceased) in the past for further clues about “Van-Ernest”, but he had not investigated his identity and could offer no information.

“Van-Ernest” seems to have been well travelled, having been in the following locations: Stockholm, (“Van-Ernest m’a envoyé la description d’un Gros-bec qu’il a observé à Stockholm, chez un marchand de curiosités”, see Daudin 1800: 405), London (“Van-Ernest a vu cette jolie variété, dans la collection de Tunstall”, see Daudin 1800: 448), Paris (“naturaliste Van-Ernest qui étoit alors à Paris”, see Daudin 1802d: 37), unspecified parts of Germany and Vienna (“Van-Ernest a trouvé plusieurs fois dans diverses parties de l’Allemagne, sur-tout aux environs de Vienne”, see Daudin 1802c: 237), unspecified parts of Poland (“Van-Ernest a trouvé, dans un voyage qu’il a fait dans le nord de Pologne, en 1796”, see Daudin 1802c: 427; “Le naturaliste hollandais, Van-Ernest, a trouvé dans les montagnes de la Pologne, vers les frontières de la Russie”, see Daudin 1802c: 432).

Furthermore, he appeared to have stayed in Java for the duration of 3 years (“Le naturaliste hollandais Van-Ernest, qui a fait un séjour de trois années dans l’île de Java”, see Sonnini 1801: 73), and Sumatra (“Lorsque Van-Ernest parcouroit l’intérieur de l’île de Sumatra, et qu’il s’occupoit d’y recueillir des plantes et des insectes pour envoyer en Europe à ses amis”, see Daudin 1802d: 280).

And likely the following localities were visited by “Van-Ernest” while en route or on his return from Indonesia: South Africa (“Lorsque nous abordâmes à la baie de la Table”, see Daudin 1802a: 37), and the Indian Ocean near the Maldives (“Le naturaliste Van-Ernest a rapporté de l’océan Indien en Hollande une nouvelle espèce de tortue, [...] Van-Ernest a pris un individu de cette espèce dans la mer des Indes, sur des algues flottantes, près de la ligne à environ trois dégrés des îles Maldives.”, see Daudin 1802b: 57, 58)

Now an attempt to date his journeys & activities:
Somewhere in or before 1781, “Van-Ernest” was in what is now Jakarta, seeing a bird with “Vurmb”, undoubtedly Christoph Carl Friedrich (Friedrich) von Wurmb, who died in 1781 (“Van-Ernest a vu ce joli oiseau à Batavia chez Vurmb”, see Daudin 1800: 446).
In 1785 he deposited a lizard he himself obtained in the Dutch East Indies in the stadtholder collection (“Il m’a répondu qu’un des individus, rapporté par lui des Indes orientales, étoit maintenant dans la collection du museum d’histoire naturelle de Paris, parce qu’il l’avoit déposé, en 1785, dans le museum de Hollande.”, see Daudin 1802d: 115).
In 1788 he observed a lizard in the stadtholder collection (“Van-Ernest a observé, en 1788, en Hollande, dans le cabinet du stathouder”, see Daudin 1802c: 255).
At some point, likely in or before 1790, when Marmaduke Tunstall died, “Van-Ernest” saw a bird in that person’s collection (“Van-Ernest a vu cette jolie variété, dans la collection de Tunstall.”, see Daudin 1800: 448)
And in 1796, “Van-Ernest” went to Poland (“Van-Ernest a trouvé, dans un voyage qu’il a fait dans le nord de Pologne, en 1796”, see Daudin 1802c: 427).
Somewhere around 1800, “Van-Ernest” was in Paris to meet with Daudin (“J’ai, en conséquence, fait part de mes remarques et de mes soupçons, il y a environ deux ans, au naturaliste Van-Ernest qui étoit alors à Paris”, see Daudin 1802d: 37).
And finally, Daudin was in correspondence with him just a short time before the publication of one of his works of 1802 (“une note que Van-Ernest m’a envoyé il y a huit mois de Hollande”, see Daudin 1802d: 166).

It would seem that “Van-Ernest” was serious about his studies on natural history, with an intention to publish about his observations in the Sunda Islands (“Van-Ernest, naturaliste hollandais très-digne de foi, qui se propose de publier dans peu de tems ses nombreuses recherches sur l’histoire naturelle des îles de la Sonde, et qui a plusieurs fois observé des dragons dans les bois de ces îles”, see Daudin 1802c: 291).

Please note that “Van-Ernest” is orthographically unusual, with that hyphen between the prefix van and surname Ernest. If indeed Dutch, as testified to by Sonnini (1801: 73) and e.g., Daudin (1802: 37, footnote), it would probably be “[given name(s)] van Ernest”. (And on a side-note, if referred to by just his last name, the first letter of the prefix would be capitalized, “Van Ernest”.) But Daudin is consistent in this usage, so arguably his correspondent was so as well in signing his letters. Only in one instance, in Sonnini (1801: 165), is his name given unhyphenated as “Van Ernest”, while otherwise Sonnini too uses “Van-Ernest”. Daudin’s (1800: 68) “Wan-Ernest” is surely a misprint or typo.

“Van-Ernest” in the end did get a patronymic dedication with a Javan lizard, Euprepes ernestii Duméril & Bibron (1839), subsequently sunk into synonymy. But nothing substantial regarding the identity of “Van-Ernest” can be gleaned from the dedication there.

Bour, Roger. 2011.
François Marie Daudin (29 août 1776-30 novembre 1803), auteur de l’Histoire naturelle, générale et particulière, des Reptiles.
Alytes, 28 (1/2): 1-76.

Bour, Roger. 2014.
Compléments et rectificatifs à la biographie de François Daudin.
Alytes, 31 (9): 41-45.

Daudin, F. M. 1800 (“An VIII.”).
Traité élémentaire et complet d’ornithologie, ou histoire naturelle des oiseaux. Tome second.
De l’imprimerie de Bertrandet, Paris. 473 pp. + Pl. IX-XXIX.

Daudin, F. M. 1802a (“An X.”).
Histoire naturelle, générale et particulière des reptiles; ouvrage faisant suite à l’Histoire Naturelle générale et particulière, compose par Leclerc de Buffon, et rédigée par C. S. Sonnini, membre de plusieurs Sociétés savantes. Tome premier.
De l’imprimerie de F. Dufart, Paris. 384 pp. + Pl. I-XV.

Daudin, F. M. 1802b (“An X.”).
Histoire naturelle, générale et particulière des reptiles; ouvrage faisant suite à l’Histoire Naturelle générale et particulière, compose par Leclerc de Buffon, et rédigée par C. S. Sonnini, membre de plusieurs Sociétés savantes. Tome second.
De l’imprimerie de F. Dufart, Paris. 432 pp. + Pl. XVI-XXVIII.

Daudin, F. M. 1802c (“An X.”).
Histoire naturelle, générale et particulière des reptiles; ouvrage faisant suite à l’Histoire Naturelle générale et particulière, compose par Leclerc de Buffon, et rédigée par C. S. Sonnini, membre de plusieurs Sociétés savantes. Tome troisième.
De l’imprimerie de F. Dufart, Paris. 452 pp. + Pl. XXIX-XLV.

Daudin, F. M. 1802d (“An X.”).
Histoire naturelle, générale et particulière des reptiles; ouvrage faisant suite à l’Histoire Naturelle générale et particulière, compose par Leclerc de Buffon, et rédigée par C. S. Sonnini, membre de plusieurs Sociétés savantes. Tome quatrième.
De l’imprimerie de F. Dufart, Paris. 397 pp. + Pl. XLVI-LVIII.

Duméril, A. M. C., and G. Bibron. 1839.
Erpétologie générale ou histoire naturelle complète des reptiles. Tome cinquième, contenant l’histoire de quarante-vingt-trois genres et de deux cent sept espèces des trois dernières familles de l’ordre des sauriens, savoir: les lacertiens, les chalcidiens et les scincoïdiens.
Librairie encyclopédique de Roret, Paris. viij + 854 pp.

Sonnini, C. S. 1801 (“An IX.”).
Histoire naturelle des oiseaux, par Leclerc de Buffon; Augmentée de notes, d’additions considérables, et mise au courant des connoissances actuelles; avec un grand nombre de figures des oiseaux les plus connus, gravées d’après les dessins de Barraband. Ouvrage formant une Ornithologie complette. Par. C. S. Sonnini. Tome troisième.
De l’imprimerie de F. Dufart, Paris. 397 pp. + Pl. XVII-XXIV.

Via Google Books in the "Allgemeine Encyklopädie der Wissenschaften und Künste"
A. bilineatus. (...) Neuerlich ist an seinen Kiemen durch van Ernest eine neue Gattung von Schmarotzertieren entdeckt: Lenticulus phosphoricus.
(Recently a new type of parasite was discovered on its gills by van Ernest: Lenticulus phosphoricus).
This is what is meant with the "lentillier" (not a fish, but its parasite), see a longer text in French in the attachment.
Cannot be found either!

Attachments

• Van-Ernest.jpg
    Van-Ernest.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Two ideas about Van-Ernest based on the fact I can find no records of this name:

1) It is very unusual to use a hyphen between the tussenvoegsel and the name. Could this be a slave name - perhaps "the slave of Ernest"? Much like Offred in Handmaid's Tale? If so list of slaves in Batavia may find him.

2) Ernest is a very common Jewish surname. This may explain the difficulty finding him.

Sorry, nothing terribly useful just suggestions.

P

I found the last name "van Ernest" for a South African and "Vanernest" for two Americans. If written like that, Dutch people would always pronounce it wrong, which could be a reason to add a hyphen.
There is no such last name to be found in the Netherlands anymore (only Ernest).

No chance he was a slave: how could he travel around so much, communicate in French and spend his time looking at fish and reptiles? It's much more likely he was a salesman.

This is interesting and difficult. I have no information on Van Ernest. And I was wondering if anyone could find Wurmb's Falco javanicus in Lichtenberg ?
I think here https://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de/id/PPN353258334_0004?tify={%22pages%22:[187],%22panX%22:0.188,%22panY%22:0.636,%22view%22:%22toc%22,%22zoom%22:0.475} .
https://books.google.com/books?id=SF5CAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=latham+falco+testaceus&source=bl&ots=B3VPYGrP4c&sig=ACfU3U3TFjdZv9NxyCpnefwM2EBYQquGWg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk4dfWionvAhVOnlkKHZJBBgMQ6AEwAnoECAYQAw#v=onepage&q=latham falco testaceus&f=false .
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Falc/falc00491a.jpg .

i

And I was wondering if anyone could find Wurmb's Falco javanicus in Lichtenberg ?
"v. Wurmb apud Lichtenberg Magaz. IV. 2. 8." is this: https://books.google.com/books?id=3g5LAAAAcAAJ&pg=RA1-PA8
But there the bird was "Habicht von der Insel Java" -- the latinization into "Falco javanicus" is by Gmelin.

Re. "Van-Ernest" -- given that:
  • the hyphenation is indeed very "un-Dutch" and presumably a distortion,
  • we apparently can't trace him under a merely unhyphenated version of this name, and
  • all the references to him under this name may come (directly or indirectly) from Daudin,
I would suggest it is reasonably likely that Daudin distorted his name more than through the mere addition of a hyphen. This doesn't make him easier to find, though...

Last edited:
Thanks for that additional reference re:fish parasite!

And Laurent, indeed it crossed my mind too that the name as quoted by Daudin might contain an error or mis-spelling beyond that weird hyphen... On the other hand, with their longer-term correspondence & actually meeting up, that would be peculiar. But then again, if the name does pan out, we should’ve been able to find him by now. I too fear it will be a tall order to pin down who he was.

Thanks for the effort all, and good weekend

I thought maybe the van ist not part of the name and it simlply means from Ernest? I came to that conclusion as I found a lot of publications like van ERNEST Louis or van Ernest Hartog or dienst van Ernest van Beijeren.

P. S. See also here dedicated to him. And maybe in here or in Tableau synoptique des Scincoïdiens from Jean Théodore Cocteau (if exists) more?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back