• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2012 List (1 Viewer)

Well, finally, after 3 days, I've managed to get an internet connection, don't ask me how. In Paris with my wife Karen. No real birding to speak, but in the course of 3 days, I've managed to see a few new birds, including a pair of Great Tits (always wanted to say that). On Friday, we will bird in the Camargue.

June 18 -20, Paris, France

250. Carrion Crow
251. Common Wood-Pigeon
252. Common Swift
253. Eurasian Magpie
254. Common Tern
255. Common House-Martin
256. Eurasian Moorhen
257. Great Tit
258. Black-headed Gull
259. Gray Wagtail
260. Great Cormorant
261. Eurasian Blackbird
262. Eurasian Blue Tit
263. Song Thrush
264. Marsh Tit

Last edited:
Well, Camargue has a well-deserved reputation. It was all we hoped it would be. On Friday afternoon, after checking into our hotel in Arles, we explored the eastern side of the Camargue, not getting quite as far as we thought we would because of all the birds we saw. Most memorable were the multitudes of Greater Flamingos, and a pair of European Bee-eaters. Also seen were numerous other lifers, including White Stork, Black-winged Stilt, Kentish Plover, Black Kite, and European Curlew.

June 22 - Camargue, France

265. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
266. Black-winged Stilt
267. Mediterranean Gull
268. Greater Flamingo
269. Kentish Plover
270. Purple Heron
271. Gray Heron
272. Little Egret
273. Eurasian Marsh-Harrier
274. White Stork
275. Black Kite
276. European Honey-buzzard
277. Willow Tit
278. Western Yellow Wagtail
279. Eurasian Curlew
280. Gull-billed Tern
281. European Bee-eater
282. European Turtle Dove

Last edited:
Our second day in the Camargue started later than expected due to a late night trip to the Arles Emergency Dept. because of the a flare-up of Gout. Fortunately caught it in time to treat with Meds - won't bore you with that story.

Once we got to the Camargue, we explored the western part of the area. Added a few more life birds. But I've got a question for anyone who has been here. We visited the Ornithological Park, which included a variety of species in cages. Of course, we did not count any of these, but there were Black Storks nesting near the area. But I have noticed that no one seems to count these birds. I'm not sure I understand the distinction between these birds that seem to be here by choice, and feeding stations in the Rio Grande Valley, where birds are fed, but are certainly wild. Can anyone help explain. Reply by email, if you would.

June 23- Camargue, France

283. Cattle Egret
284. Eurasian Coot
285. European Goldfinch
286. Little Tern
287. Mute Swan
288. Common Shelduck
Black Stork ??

I have subsequently determined that the Black Storks were of captive origin. I will not count them, and I have also eliminated the Greylag Goose. Oh well.

Last edited:
After leaving the Camargue, we drove back toward's Nice. We are staying with friends who are renting a villa in Tourettes-sur-Loup, a small village near Vence. During the first couple of days, I have observed some new birds around the yard, along with the omnipresent Magpies, Eurasian Collared Doves, and Blue Tits.

June 24-25, Tourettes-sur-Loup, Provence-Alpes-Cotes d'Azur, France

289. Blackcap
290. Sardinian Warbler
291. White Wagtail
292. Garden Warbler

Last edited:
Today, we took a drive into the Maritime Alps, visiting the beautiful little town of Belvedere, which is in Mercantour National Park. The drive was a killer, but it was worth it. Did a nice little hike above and around the town, and saw some new birds, to boot.

June 26, Belvedere, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France

293. Western Bonelli's Warbler
294. Eurasian Wren
295. European Robin
296. Eurasian Crag Martin

Last edited:
I got up early this morning to take a walk around town. Mostly the same birds I have been seeing, but got a Greenfinch, and later in the day, a Stock Dove.

June 27, Tourettes-sur-Loup, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France

297. Eurasian Greenfinch
298. Stock Dove

Last edited:
Arrived home yesterday. Leaving Paris yesterday was a nightmare, but once we finally finished standing on lines, and getting passports checked at least 7 times, the flights themselves went smoothly, and this morning, still jet-lagged, I woke early and went out for a little birding. Sevey Lake was as low as I've ever seen it in 4 years. But at Veith's Dam, I got really good views of a Solitary Sandpiper, which I later realized was a state bird for me. Nice way to end a great month.

June 30 - Meade County, SD

299. Solitary Sandpiper

Last edited:
A couple of days ago, I went for a drive into Butte County to see what I might find. Highlights included about 10 Chestnut Collared Longspurs, in breeding plumage, and a couple of Brewer's Sparrows. And after a LONG time searching, I was able to get a distant look at a single Baird's Sparrow.

July 1, Butte County, SD

300. Baird's Sparrow

Last edited:
I was in New Jersey over the weekend. Unfortunately, the purpose was not for birding. But I did manage a walk yesterday morning along the Middlesex Greenway in Fords, NJ. It was a nice distraction, and I picked up a few of the local birds that I don't see in South Dakota.

July 8 - Fords, NJ

301. Fish Crow
302. Carolina Wren
303. Carolina Chickadee

A warm early-morning visit to Hammerquist Rd., east of the Rapid City airport, was quite productive. Lots of Orchard Orioles, a Yellow-breasted Chat, Yellow-headed Blackbird (new for this location), several Brown Thrashers, and the highlight - a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

July 16 - Hammerquist Rd., Pennington County, SD

304. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

My wife and I are in Tucson, Arizona for a week-long VENT birding trip. We got in last night, and this morning, I had my first lifer of the trip, Hooded Oriole, without leaving my hotel room. We only started the tour late in the afternoon, and went to Sweetwater Wetlands, here in Tucson, as an appetizer for the trip. Some really nice birds:

July 22 - at our hotel, and around Tucson

305. Hooded Oriole
306. Black-throated Sparrow
307. Verdin
308. White-winged Dove
309. Gila Woodpecker
310. Rufous-winged Sparrow

July 22 - Sweetwater Wetlands, Tucson

311. Tropical Kingbird
312. Brown-crested Flycatcher
313. Lucy's Warbler
314. Abert's Towhee
315. Black Phoebe
316. Common Gallinule
317. Harris's Hawk
318. Cooper's Hawk
319. Black-necked Stilt
320. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
321. Inca Dove

Attachments

• 03-Black-throated Sparrow 1.JPG
    03-Black-throated Sparrow 1.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The first full day of our birding trip to SE Arizona was focused on the Madera Canyon. We first birded in and around Green Valley, picking up some of the local birds such as Gilded Flicker, Gila Woodpecker, Gambel's Quail, Cactus Wren, Pyrrhuloxia, and Curve-billed Thrasher. Then on the way to the Canyon, we made a few stops in the grasslands, where we found Botteri's Sparrow, Phainopepla, and searched unsucessfully for the first of several times for Cassin's Sparrow, which seems to be developing as a nemesis bird.

The Canyon itself was wonderful. We saw a modest variety of Hummingbirds, including Violet Crowned, Black-chinned, Magnificent, and Broad-billed, Varied Bunting, the first of many Band-tailed Pigeons, and some mixed flocks containing Painted Redstart, Bridled Titmouse, Dusky-capped, and Sulpher-bellied Flycatchers (the latter sounding like Rubber Duckies). Last but certainly not least was my first Summer Tanager. We returned to Tucson for dinner.

July 23 - Tuscon, AZ

322. Cassin's Kingbird

July 23 - Green Valley, AZ

323. Mexican Jay
324. Gambel's Quail
325. Gilded Flicker
326. Cactus Wren
327. Curve-billed Thrasher
328. Pyrrhuloxia

July 23 - Madera Grasslands

329. Phainopepla
330. Botteri's Sparrow

July 23 - Madera Canyon, AZ

331. Broad-billed Hummingbird
332. Varied Bunting
333. Band-tailed Pigeon
334. Black-chinned Hummingbird
335. Violet-crowned Hummingbird
336. Acorn Woodpecker
337. Dusky-capped Flycatcher
338. Sulpher-bellied Flycatcher
339. Bridled Titmouse
340. Black-throated Gray Warbler
341. Painted Redstart
342. Magnificent Hummingbird
343. Summer Tanager

Attachments

• 01-Pyrrhuloxia 1.JPG
    01-Pyrrhuloxia 1.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 02-Botteri's Sparrow 1.JPG
    02-Botteri's Sparrow 1.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 04-Varied Bunting 1.JPG
    04-Varied Bunting 1.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 06-Violet-crowned Hummingbird 1.JPG
    06-Violet-crowned Hummingbird 1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 07-Broad-billed Hummingbird 1.JPG
    07-Broad-billed Hummingbird 1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
After dinner back in Tucson, we returned to the Madera Canyon area for some owling. First stop was in the canyon itself, where we were able to call in two Whiskered Screech-Owls, which perched some fifteen feet from the group and stared at us for a good 30 seconds before flying off.

Next we went out to the Florida Canyon. This time it took us considerably longer but we were finally successful in calling in a Western Screech-Owl, and we once again got great looks. Quite a night!

July 23 - Madera and Florida Canyons, AZ

344. Whiskered Screech-Owl
345. Western Screech-Owl

Tuesday's plan started out with a visit to Montosa Canyon, where a Plain-capped Starthroat had been seen, somewhat irregularly. It appeared after only about a half-hour, giving us excellent looks. I also picked up a distant Costa's Hummingbird, and a Rufous-crowned Sparrow. On the way out of the Canyon, we had a fly-over Scott's Oriole.

In Rio Rico, we caught up with the resident Gray Hawk, as well as a Common Ground-Dove, and after stopping near Kino Springs to see a mixed group of Vultures, we got outstanding close-up looks at a flying Zone-tailed Hawk near the turnoff to Patagonia Lake. Although the Hummingbirds were fairly few at Paton's yard, I did see my first Bronzed Cowbird there, and then picked up a few new birds along the Patagonia/Sonoita Creek.

As the afternoon progressed, we headed for Sierra Vista, our base for the next two nights. Along the way, we found some prairie birds, and got a good look at a Common Nighthawk, which is less common than Lesser Nighthawk, which I missed entirely for the trip.

July 24 - Montosa Canyon, AZ

346. Costa's Hummingbird
347. Vermillion Flycatcher
348. Plain-capped Starthroat B :)
349. Rufous-crowned Sparrow
350. Scott's Oriole

July 24 - Rio Rico, Kino Springs, AZ

351. Gray Hawk
352. Common Ground-Dove
353. Black Vulture

July 24 - Patagonia/Sonoita, AZ

354. Zone-tailed Hawk
355. Greater Roadrunner
356. Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
357. Ash-throated Flycatcher
358. Thick-billed Kingbird
359. Bronzed Cowbird

July 24 - Prairie locations, Santa Cruz county, AZ

360. Eastern Meadowlark
361. Scaled Quail

Attachments

• 05-Zone-tailed Hawk 1.JPG
    05-Zone-tailed Hawk 1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Wednesdays plans focused on several Canyons in the Huachuca Mountains of SE Arizona. Driving toward Garden Canyon, we spied some Cassin's Sparrows. Monsoon rains washed out the Garden Canyon Road, so we reversed course and headed to Huachuca Canyon, where we successfully located a pair of Elegant Trogans, along a nice mixture of Hummingbirds, Flycatchers, an early migrating Hermit Warbler, and several Hepatic Tanagers, among others.

We then retraced our steps into lower Garden Canyon, where we hiked up a side canyon, Scheelite Canyon, for great looks at a roosting Mexican Spotted Owl. After lunch we ascended Miller Canyon for a visit to the feeders at Beatty's Guest Ranch, where White-eared Hummingbird has been seen lately. Despite a 2 and a half hour visit, no sign of the White-eared, and overall numbers of Hummers were down. We did, however, get our first look at Blue-throated Hummingbird.

July 25 - Huachuca Mountains, AZ

362. Northern Mockingbird
363. Cassin's Sparrow
364. Elegant Trogano:D
365. Buff-breasted Flycatcher
366. Hermit Warbler
367. Hepatic Tanager
368. Spotted Owl
369. Blue-throated Hummingbird

Attachments

• 08-Spotted Owl 1.JPG
    08-Spotted Owl 1.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 09-Blue-throated Hummingbird 1.JPG
    09-Blue-throated Hummingbird 1.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 10-Magnificent Hummingbird 1.JPG
    10-Magnificent Hummingbird 1.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 11-Broad-tailed Hummingbird 1.JPG
    11-Broad-tailed Hummingbird 1.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1-IMG_2274.JPG
    1-IMG_2274.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thursday began with a climb (in a car up switchbacks) up Carr Canyon and a lengthy hike on the plateau, where we saw a wonderful selection of birds. There were mixed flocks with Plumbeous and Hutton's Vireos, Buff-breasted Flycatchers, and Virginia's, Grace's, Black-throated Gray Warblers, and Painted Redstarts. I found my first Arizona Woodpecker, and also had White-throated Swifts, Greater Pewees, along with a variety of Hummingbirds.

After lunch in Sierra Vista, we began the drive to Portal, along the New Mexico border, where we would spend the next two nights. Along the way, we made a quick stop when a White-tailed Kite was spotted perched, a relatively unusual bird for the state. And we made a quick stop at Whitewater Draw, where we had a Great Horned Owl, a couple of Sora, a Lazuli Bunting, and a few Spotted Sandpipers.

After dinner in Portal, where I was somewhat shocked to see Sandy Komito (of The Big Year fame) at the other large table, we went out Owling in the lower part of Cave Creek Canyon. We were able to get good looks at another Whiskered Screetch-Owl, and then amazing views of a Mexican Whip-poor-will, kiting 10 feet above our heads for a good 10 seconds, in the beam of a flashlight.

July 26 - Carr Canyon, AZ

370. Arizona Woodpecker
371. Greater Pewee
372. Grace's Warbler
373. Yellow-eyed Junco

July 26 - Sulpher Springs Valley, AZ

374. White-tailed Kite
375. Sora

July 26 - Cave Creek Canyon, AZ

376. Mexican Whip-poor-will

Attachments

• 12-White-tailed Kite 1.JPG
    12-White-tailed Kite 1.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Friday morning began early, before breakfast with a drive out Portal Rd. into and around Rodeo, NM. This trip yielded a new lifer, Bendire's Thrasher, as well as such highlights as Scaled and Gambel's Quail, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Phainopepla, Pyrrhuloxia, Cassin's Sparrow, Crissal Thrasher, and Bronzed Cowbird.

After breakfast, we headed up Cave Creek Canyon to the higher elevations. We got good looks at Mexican Chickadee and Hermit Thrush in Pinery Canyon, and later fleeting looks at Steller's Jay and Red-faced Warbler, along with Grace's and Hermit Warbler, Pygmy Nuthatch, and Plumbeous, Hutton's and Warbling Vireo.

After lunch we found Black-chinned Sparrow along Portal-Paradise Rd., Juniper Titmouse in Paradise, and late in the afternoon, we had excellent views of a male Montezuma Quail, slowly crossing the road ahead of us. A real crowd pleaser.

After dinner, we went Owling again, and the persistent efforts of our two leaders netted us Elf Owl.

July 27 - Rodeo, NM

377. Bendire's Thrasher
378. Crissal Thrasher

July 27 - Pinery Canyon, AZ

379. Mexican Chickadee
380. Hermit Thrush

July 27 - Cave Creek Canyon, AZ

381. Steller's Jay
382. Red-faced Warbler

July 27 - Paradise-Portal, AZ

383. Black-chinned Sparrow
384. Juniper Titmouse

July 27 - Cave Creek Canyon Rd., AZ

385. Montezuma Quail

July 27 - Paradise-Portal Rd.

386. Elf Owl

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2269.JPG
    1-IMG_2269.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1-IMG_2311.JPG
    1-IMG_2311.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 13-Montezuma Quail 1.JPG
    13-Montezuma Quail 1.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Our last day of the trip was focused in the morning on going to the higher elevations of Cave Creek Canyon to try to get better looks, or first looks at Red-faced and Olive Warblers. I was fortunate enought to be on of only a few who saw the Red-faced, and although I saw a bird flying that one of our guides had identified as an Olive Warbler, it was not good enough to count, for a new bird.

After a picnic lunch, we started back to Tucson. We made several stops in Pinery Canyon in hopes of a last look at Olive Warbler, and the Northern Pygmy-Owl call that had been used much of the week to attrack birds was successful, this time with fine looks at a Northern Pygmy-Owl (Mountain race). We then drove to Wilcox for some shore birds. Our timing was good, as it rained most of the way, and Wilcox itself had heavy flooding, but it stopped, briefly, when we got to the lake. There were large numbers of shore birds, including a relatively unusual Pectoral Sandpiper, some nice Black Terns, large numbers of Avocets, Stilts, and Baird's Sandpipers, and some new Western Sandpipers for me.

That night we summed up the trip. In total, members of the trip saw 187 species. This included 35 lifers, and 85 year birds for me. The number 1 bird for the members of the trip was the Montezuma Quail, with Plain-capped Starthroat, and Mexican Whip-poor-will tied for second. It was the first organized birding trip that my wife and I participated in, and it was great.

July 28 - Pinery Canyon, AZ

387. Northern Pygmy-Owl

July 28 - Wilcox, AZ

388. Western Sandpiper

Last edited:
I spent the morning with a friend driving around the eastern part of Pennington County. There are real drought conditions, very little water;almost no shore birds. The highlights were some American Redstarts in Jackson Park, maybe 20 Red-headed Woodpeckers along the Cheyenne River, a Solitary Sandpiper in Wall, and some excellent scope views of a Virginia Rail, just outside of Wasta.

August 11 - Pennington County, SD

389. Virginia Rail

Karen and I went looking for American Dipper today up in the Black Hills. Couldn't find it at Hanna Campground or Roughlock Falls,two places where they are typically dependable. We then visited Iron Creek Canyon, where Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush was seen a couple of years ago, and we finally got some good looks at an immature Dipper.

August 12 - Iron Creek Canyon, Lawrence County, SD

390. American Dipper

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back