• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

I am so jealous of you all as my dark to dark work commute has restarted. Early finish on friday so a long weekend to catch up with my feeders and get out and about. Keep all your garden news coming as I am loving hearing about the Redpolls a bird never seen in my garden........yet.:t::t:

I know how you feel - since the dark evenings I've been filling up the feeders every day but never seeing the birds as I leave the house before light too. I am making the most of my two weeks holiday (working in education has its benefits!!) to spend quality time with them!

I've uploaded the video of the lesser redpoll from this morning. No sound as it was shot from indoors.

Another highlight was seeing a dunnock bathing in a pool of rainwater in the garden. No sign of anyone in the bird bath of course!

The complete stillness for 5 seconds just to check out the disturbance.... then carry on feeding happily :t:

Garden highest count of 26 Redpolls this morning.
No mealy yet

Just the 8 today for me...;) Plus a single Brambling, pair of Bullfinches and 6 siskins. Mr GSW continues to pop in regularly, as well as the Song Thrush.

Great birds up there north of the border. Down south here 3 siskins here this morning, the highest number this Winter - Santa was a bit late with those. So I anticipate numbers to increase from now on in. Still no redpolls.

Great birds up there north of the border. Down south here 3 siskins here this morning, the highest number this Winter - Santa was a bit late with those. So I anticipate numbers to increase from now on in. Still no redpolls.

A female Siskin gave me a quick glimpse on the feeders a few days ago... no return since, so well done with your 3.

Mealy Redpoll now back again :t: I will try for a better image, although my partner has grave doubts about the sanity of her partner creeping to the shed to get a picture of a bird :eek!:

The complete stillness for 5 seconds just to check out the disturbance.... then carry on feeding happily :t:
Sometimes it's not a human or cat. Had one of those sudden silence, total absence of birds moments this morning. A less mundane cause -

uvs101230-001.JPG

For some reason I got the impression it was smaller than the red kite we sometimes see over the fields. I got a few seconds of video but pretty poor quality.

Spoke too soon - 3 redpolls have just appeared on sunflower hearts feeder. All normal race I believe. So things are hotting up.

Sometimes it's not a human or cat. Had one of those sudden silence, total absence of birds moments this morning. A less mundane cause -

Great pic of the Kestrel.

Nice increase in Redpolls BFB. Since I cleared away the spilt nijer seed, I haven't gone above 15 or so. Interestingly though, a Goldcrest is now a daily visitor.

a Goldcrest is now a daily visitor.

very nice regular visitor to have, smashing little bird.

I have had a funny day here with some nice visitors : Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron, 23 Canada Geese over, Redwing, Fieldfare, Pied Wagtail, Mealy Redpoll, 26 Lessers, 1 LTT, 2 Male Blackcap, along with the usual Tits, Finches Robins etc

But it has been very quiet for long periods.... and its mighty Dull and miserable out

Last edited:
very very quiet here all day,miserable and damp,3 redwing,1 fieldfare,several blue and coal tits,collared doves,2 dunnocks,robin,goldfinches and greenfinches,house sparrows,couple of thrushes and blackbirds.looking forward to the new year with all the suprises in store for a great garden year.

I think spring must be in the air here. A dozen starlings squabbling and providing great amusement, 6 chaffinches, all at each other, 3 male blackbirds trying to see each other off, the robin chasing the dunnock all over the garden and the blackcap chasing everything off the feeder. A cheeky coal tit was playing hide and seek with a starling on the suet block. A fun day!!!
We have a sparrow like bird who could be a juvenile but it has a yellow beak and its markings seem slightly different to all the other sparrows. It is very plump but doesn't sem to have any trouble flying. It doesn't seem to close its wing feathers. Has anyone any ideas?
I think I saw a greenfinch briefly. If it was it will be the first one since the dead ones at the end of the summer, brill!:t:

We have a sparrow like bird who could be a juvenile but it has a yellow beak and its markings seem slightly different to all the other sparrows. It is very plump but doesn't sem to have any trouble flying. It doesn't seem to close its wing feathers. Has anyone any ideas?

Busybee Hi,

Can you get a shot?....

Could it be a Lesser Redpoll? When I first got one a few years ao, I made the mistake of thinking it was a Sparrow, but the yellow beak is a good sign. Look for a small red / pinkish forehead.

After a few days absence a pied wagtail has returned. This one is different having a black back whereas the previous regular had a grey back. I'm not sure what this means race-wise or sex-wise.

Higher temperatures have seen dispersal of blackbirds and bramblings down to just the one male.

After a few days absence a pied wagtail has returned. This one is different having a black back whereas the previous regular had a grey back. I'm not sure what this means race-wise or sex-wise.

Higher temperatures have seen dispersal of blackbirds and bramblings down to just the one male.

same here. Lowest bird numbers today in weeks . We have lost our pied Wagtail too. Shame......... he's such a little character;)

well done richat you lucky so and so lol

Mustn't grumble on the finch front lol - but would really love to have regular GSW and nuthatch. Have tried lard smear on tree but so far no takers. That said I'm not watching 24/7 so I'll never know what I may've missed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back