• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (15 Viewers)

The best ever start to my garden yearlist!!! 28 Species seen today.

Highlights - 7 Long-tailed Tits, 2 Fieldfares, Redwing, 2 Nuthatches, Grey Wagtail, an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull landed on the lawn briefly (all previous records were flyovers!), Pheasant, Grey Heron and best of all a yaffling Green Woodpecker!!

Also heard 3+ Siskins, Bullfinch, 2 Goldfinches and a Coal Tit.

CB

I haven't posted on this thread before, but I knew you folks would understand my excitement. I get a lot of scrub jays in the yard when I toss peanuts out. Until today, I had only seen a singular Steller's jay. I see one mixing in with the scrub jays almost daily . Today, I had two Steller's. I was worried that because I only saw one at a time, that it was "lonely". (Yes, my DH laughs at me worrying about the birds social life.:gh:) I think they are gorgeous birds. We have a lot of scrub jays in our area, but not as many Steller's.

I identified a northern flicker for the first time, too. There were also 3 nuthatches.

CindyB

Hi Cindy, welcome onto the thread! Its a great thread, you have some cracking visitors there, well done with the northern flickr too. :t:B :)

I haven't posted on this thread before, but I knew you folks would understand my excitement. I get a lot of scrub jays in the yard when I toss peanuts out. Until today, I had only seen a singular Steller's jay. I see one mixing in with the scrub jays almost daily . Today, I had two Steller's. I was worried that because I only saw one at a time, that it was "lonely". (Yes, my DH laughs at me worrying about the birds social life.:gh:) I think they are gorgeous birds. We have a lot of scrub jays in our area, but not as many Steller's.

I identified a northern flicker for the first time, too. There were also 3 nuthatches.

CindyB

A great thread to visit Cindy you have some lovely birds.:t::t:

Cant wait for the new Chapelwood Nyger feeder to arrive :D I'm going to get a new seed feeder tomorrow from them too, saw some today at a good price and seem easier to clean. So thought I'd give it a go Chapelwood seems like a good make, can't believe I never really paid them much attention before.

Hoping to attract some new birds, but also it will help the ones currently here as there shall be more perches available. Things had been getting a bit cramped latly. We shall see how it all goes.

I'm working on being able to identify more birds. I know there were several chickadees, sparrows, house finches and robins in the front tree today.

I even had 4 crows poking around! Those big birds don't come around much, thankfully. They scare the rest of the little guys.

CindyB

The best ever start to my garden yearlist!!! 28 Species seen today.

Highlights - 7 Long-tailed Tits, 2 Fieldfares, Redwing, 2 Nuthatches, Grey Wagtail, an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull landed on the lawn briefly (all previous records were flyovers!), Pheasant, Grey Heron and best of all a yaffling Green Woodpecker!!

Also heard 3+ Siskins, Bullfinch, 2 Goldfinches and a Coal Tit.

CB

Superb start to the year!

A female Brambling keeps popping in here this morning and the Goldcrest also - it seems to be taking small pieces of peanut cake that have dropped to the ground from the feeders, as well as taking insects from the Honeysuckle we planted last summer. That was money well spent!

Hope you all had a good Christmas and a Happy New year. Have missed over a week now and lots to catch up on.

I have been hoping for the last few weeks to get a rare visitor and thought my luck had run out but no! We have a Treecreeper coming to our peanut feeders. Every day for the last 4 days.

Good start to the year in our yards yesterday morning:
10 White-winged Doves
6 House Finches
15 American Goldfinches
3 Carolina Chickadees
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
American Robin
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blue Jay
Northern Mockingbird
Chipping Sparrow.

A birding trip on a windy morning to Attwater Refuge turned up a few good birds. Lots of Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels, plus several Crested Caracaras (photo).

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• caracara.JPG
    caracara.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to the thread Cindy!

News for today - another five species added to the list including Cormorant flying over and two Reed Buntings (a garden mega tick for me!)

CB

nothing new to report here,blue,great and coal tits continue to dominate the garden along with goldfinches,greenfinches,robin,juvenile moorhen,collared doves,starlings,blackbirds,chaffinches,and suprisingly no squirrels for a few days now.look forward to tomorrow.

another visit to the new house

3 gold finches, some black headed gulls, a flock of starlings, jackdaws, crows, wood pigeons and a fly past by 2 cormorants. not bad for 15 minutes of moving stuff in.

Attachments

• 21569.jpg
    21569.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back