• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (21 Viewers)

Glad I've managed to stumble across this thread! I've made a bit of a new year resolution to record the bird species I see in the garden this year, we're getting so many I thought I'd like to start writing them down and maybe even comparing the birds about at different times of the day, whenever I can snatch a 20minute birdwatching session :-D

Today is the second day in a row I've managed to get gorgeous views of a flock of about 10 Long Tailed Tits, absolutely adore these fluffy little birds so well chuffed with that. Plus the usual Blue, Great and Coal Tits, up to 4 of the robins that chase each other about the feeders, House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, the odd Greenfinch, not to mention the Green Woodpecker which is a first garden tick for me! Fair enough, he was nowhere near the feeders but still at the bottom of the garden so he goes in the book :-D We do have a Great Spotted Woody that loves the fat balls but not seen him for a few days since the weather got a bit milder.

Phew, a long post from me, keep up the good spotting folks, I've right enjoyed reading your posts :-D

Missy

Glad I've managed to stumble across this thread! I've made a bit of a new year resolution to record the bird species I see in the garden this year, we're getting so many I thought I'd like to start writing them down and maybe even comparing the birds about at different times of the day, whenever I can snatch a 20minute birdwatching session :-D

Today is the second day in a row I've managed to get gorgeous views of a flock of about 10 Long Tailed Tits, absolutely adore these fluffy little birds so well chuffed with that. Plus the usual Blue, Great and Coal Tits, up to 4 of the robins that chase each other about the feeders, House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, the odd Greenfinch, not to mention the Green Woodpecker which is a first garden tick for me! Fair enough, he was nowhere near the feeders but still at the bottom of the garden so he goes in the book :-D We do have a Great Spotted Woody that loves the fat balls but not seen him for a few days since the weather got a bit milder.

Phew, a long post from me, keep up the good spotting folks, I've right enjoyed reading your posts :-D

Missy

Welcome along and yes agreed, its good to share whats in and around your garden. Look forward to your updates... well done with the Green Woodpecker :t:

I suspect the Goldfinch story could be linked to the demise of the Greenfinch which I think might be making a recovery at last. Once my most numerous finch they've now pretty much dissapeared but I think their numbers are slightly more this winter. Sort of half a dozen or more compared to just one or two. Goldfinches have always been present in decent mumbers but surely with a primary competitor suffereing such a horrendous decline they have indeed increased their numbers.

Chaffinches are the most numerous here this winter and they've learned to use the seed feeders even if 8 times out of ten they can't land on the things (females being much more sure-footed than males though). I'm just praying to every god available that the 8 or so Waxwings roaming this area may just drop by my place, even for a quick look! Deep down I know it's not gonna happen though, nothing here to tempt them except possibly a couple of apple trees in a neighbour's garden.

I'm just praying to every god available that the 8 or so Waxwings roaming this area may just drop by my place, even for a quick look! Deep down I know it's not gonna happen though, nothing here to tempt them except possibly a couple of apple trees in a neighbour's garden.

call in at your local supermarket just before closing for reduced bags of apples and chuck em on your lawn.... that should entice them.

I bought 10 apples the other day for 35p :t:

And the Woody too was being strange. I have peanut feeders and fatball feeders out and yet he far and away preferred to feed on the ground and to cling on to the seed feeder, I think he's got hooked on sunflower hearts! :-O

Our Red-bellied Woodpeckers usually prefer suet but lately they've been spending a lot of time on the tube feeders that have sunflower seeds. But our Downy Woodpeckers feed on the suet daily and never go onto the tube feeders.

Nothing very exciting in our yards today: lots of Am Goldfinches and House Finches, plus a few Carolina Chickadees, White-winged Doves and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Two Carolina Wrens popped up to check out a birdhouse on our shed. I think the female rejected it as a nesting site, though.

The campus is busy with ducks again: only 50 Ring-necked now but they've been joined by a Redhead and two Lesser Scaup. (I notice Lesser Scaup have shown up in Gloucestershire this winter.)

On the way to work in the rain this a.m. saw 250+ Cedar Waxwings in two trees. We haven't had any at the college yet, but American Robins are piling up there, as are Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Hi All, and the new posters to this great thread too.

Here's my update -

Have seen the redpolls back several times in the silver birch at the bottom of the garden.

Male Reed bunting also stopped by in the silver birch, viewed through Binnocs, but 100% male reed bunting. :)

Long Tailed Tits feedeing in almost night time last night! Just a bit of evening light left over.

Sparrowhawk has made two further hits on our garden, one of which was today. Literally looked out my window this morning and 10 seconds later all the birds darted off, and I thought I know whats coming now and sure enough, it appeared again, Not sure if it caught anything but its always so quick.

Marsh Tit Back as it hadn't been seen for a while.

Also 2 x GSW fly over this morning, not seen or heard them for ages and they were quite regular last year and even had some fledgelings in our garden.

Back to work now though so not much watching for me :(

Will

Ooh forgot to say about the huge flocks of Thrushes in the field out the back. Too far to i.d but they are making the ch ch ch sound which someone here i'm sure will know. I'm guessing fieldfare or red wing.

Last edited:
Ooh forgot to say about the huge flocks of Thrushes in the field out the back. Too far to i.d but they are making the ch ch ch sound which someone here i'm sure will know. I'm guessing fieldfare or red wing.

Redwings don't ch ch ch, but sounds spot on for Fieldfare, so I think you have your i.d. :t:

will562 good job on the Reed Bunting and Marsh Tit. What does the Marsh Tit feed on?

Had about an 1 hour and 30 mins bird watching this morning, I'll have another look later before work. It's still in general quieter like the last few days in this more milder weather. Very sunny this morning with lovely clear sky, but very strong cold winds. Plus a couple of noisy gentlemen making alot of banging at the back of the garden that on more than one occassion, has scared the birds off.

But still: Greenfinch 9, Chaffinch 4 (3m 1f), Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tit 1, Robin 1, Woodpidgeon 3, Blackbird 2 (1m 1f), Dunnock 1

I'm never certain with these counts when it comes to flocks as I never know if I am seeing the same bird or another lol, so I just go with the highest amount I see at one time. I can never tell with the Tits though however, as they are always darting about all over the place. There is at least 4 Blue Tits though and 3 Great Tits. Usually 2 Coalies but only the 1 seen so far today.

Greenfinch numbers, again never always sure as they seem to break off in seperate flocks but 9 is the most accurate amount I can say seen at once this morning. Their numbers the last few days have gone down noticably, normally have 20 going on to 30. The Chaffinch, 3 males and 1 female, but am sure there is another one as there usually is at least 6. They seem to be following the flocks of Greenfinch, always taking to the grounds of whatever feeders the Greenies are on. And since the changes I have made, it has been the Sunflower Seed rather than the Hearts or Nyger.

A male Blackbird is coming back to being a regular now. Unsure if it is the same male from earlier this year, but the resident female is more tolerant of him. Good to see that though, I really missed the Blackbirds. Only the 1 Dunnock this morning instead of the 3, and the Robin being very active going here there and everywhere, including the feeders!

Am pleased to say that the new seed feeder for the Sunflower Hearts has been succesfull, in other words, the birds can get their beaks in this one! lol :p Still have been no visitors to the new Nyger feeder. I have made a few more additions to the garden and changes with the feeding, so it make take a few days to get re-established. But I'm enjoying the sunny weather while we have it, despite the cold wind!

Wow that was a rather long post from me lol. What has the weather been like in your areas?

Watching the birds for an hour over breakfast this morning, 3 delightful Bullfinches stopped by briefly and my lovely Song Thrush is back.

Good job with the Bullfinches. What do they usually feed on?

Not sure what they feed on...they tend to turn up and just sit about cheeping. And plus I saw them out the bathroom window just as I was getting into the shower ;) so didn't watch them for too long unfortunately. I don't see them often, although there's a spot on my local walk that can guarantee a sighting of about 12 at this time of year so perhaps they just stretch their wings every now and again. A lovely bright male and 2 females though!

Unfortunatly we dont seem to get Bullfinches this way now. There use to be loads. Keep checking your feeders, they so like Sunflower and Nyger I believe. Fruit possibly.

Glad it's being visited already! I'd love to see another redpoll too, but it's so great to see goldfinches in such numbers. Have they grown in numbers a lot in recent years? I don't remember them much from the past but then I wasn't really looking for them I suppose.

they are my most visited bird in summer and so far in winter,does anybody else have them visiting on a regular basis?
I have Goldfinches on a regular basis.
I noticed them in Spring last year, but don't recall seeing any throughout summer. Then I got a nyger seed feeder, and still no Goldfinches. Then the cold weather came and a couple turned up, then a few, then I bought another feeder for them, then more turned up, about 10 at most (any more, and the little flockers would have to build a birdie pyramid to fit into the garden lol).
Now I'm back down to the 4 or so hard-core ones.
There's been 3 Greenfinches at any one time as well.

Not sure what they feed on...they tend to turn up and just sit about cheeping. And plus I saw them out the bathroom window just as I was getting into the shower ;) so didn't watch them for too long unfortunately. I don't see them often, although there's a spot on my local walk that can guarantee a sighting of about 12 at this time of year so perhaps they just stretch their wings every now and again. A lovely bright male and 2 females though!

perhaps they were cheeping "there she goes again into the shower":eek!:lol

just the 1 long tailed tit to add to the regulars today,the new nyger feeder has had 4 goldfinches on at once feeding from it,total count now 21 for the garden so far.

Less than an hour of garden daylight this afternoon:

7 Redpoll, 2 Mallard over, 2 Great, 5 Blue and 2 Coal tits. Greenfinch and Goldfinch and very mobile Blackbirds so fairly hard to make a positive count but I think 6, lots of gulls coming down for bread and a Mistle Thrush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back