• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Just saw what I thought was a female blackbird, with two males squabbling in the background, but looking at the photos I think (hope) it's a juvenile -

2011-05-18 bb1.jpg 2011-05-18 bb2.jpg

First baby appeared on the patio, a dunnock and it has been up on the conservatory window not more than a foot away from where I sit. Fabulous! I can't wait for more :t:

Last edited:
Getting several pairs of Goldfinches squabbling for the small Nyger feeder, Woodpigeons, Collared Doves and House Sparrows so far. I don't usually get more than the Doves so not bad.

Two or three male blackbirds with babies who are bigger than their parents!!! And this morning, no less than 5 adult starlings with their babies - all getting mixed up as to who's baby belonged to whom and making a proper racket about it. Yes they are greedy, but the babies are really quite pretty.

And.... male and female Blue Tit (known affectionately as Bobby and Betty) non-stop feeding the 3 day old chicks in the box in the back garden. :king:

Gang of sparrows, pair of blue tits, pair of woodpigeons, collared dove and the squirrel to start the day, not too shabby !

Only ever seen a pair of collared doves in the garden once. Must have brought a female on a date, knew I should have put the expensive food out that day ha ha.

Now that babies have arrived our yards are really busy every day with 12+ House Finches, 4-5 Blue Jays, 6+ Northern Cardinals, 4-5 Carolina Chickadees, several Northern Mockingbirds and a dozen or more White-winged Doves.

Unfortunately, the declawed cat from next door is around a lot, too, and he had what looked like a very dead young House Finch in his mouth yesterday. I gave him a few pokes with a broom and he loosened his grip enough for the bird to revive and fly off. The problem is that there are now too many birds for our feeders and therefore some are going for spilled seeds on the ground.

There was a dead female Downy Woodpecker in the yard last week. Our woodpeckers don't usually come down far enough for a cat to catch but it's been dry for so long that maybe it came down to drink at our bird bath. I've moved the bath now so that there's nowhere nearby for the cat to hide.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I sympathise Jeff, I have found 2 dead baby Robins which I am almost certain my cat has had. I try all sorts to keep her away from the birds but she has always been an outdoor cat and that is what they do. I like to think we help a lot more survive by feeding and watering than the cat has.

I spent far too long watching the young sparrows yesterday. A few photos -

2011-05-19 sparrows 01.jpg 2011-05-19 sparrows 02.jpg 2011-05-19 sparrows 03.jpg2011-05-19 juvenile sparrow 50.jpg

Close-up of the head of the sparrow in the last pic -

2011-05-19 juvenile sparrow head only 100.jpg

The young blackbird was back again yesterday :t:

Hopefully I have managed to attach some photos that my son took last weekend:t: they were taken at my feeders a few feet from the conservatory window and the great tit is still taking lots from the suet block. I hope the babies won't be too fat!!!

Attachments

• P1070213.jpg
    P1070213.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 41
  • P1070215.jpg
    P1070215.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P1070222.jpg
    P1070222.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
some fabulous photos everyone showing some great garden birds,2 male and female bullfinches are now regular visitors,along with an influx of greenfinches,blue tits and chaffinches,nesting wood pigeon,juvenile collard doves,and several juvenile sparrows,which is always great to see,here are a few pictures taken from my patio window throughout the week.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 41
Quite a few juvenile House Sparrows and Starlings this morning also heard at least two Bullfinches calling, so they may well have bred nearby. Pair of Mallard feeding on the lawn and Grey Heron over completed the highlights so far.

CB

Nice photos everyone - keep them coming:)

Still quiet in my garden. The female Blue Tit is now into her 4th week of incubating. When will she give up?

Pied Flys

The Pied Flys in the garden have clearly got young now as they have both spent all day bringing food to the nestbox. Its amusing that the male perches after delivering food but as soon as the female appears he dashes off to look for food. Under the thumb??

House sparrows with their babies hopping around tweaking at everything, lovely to watch. Collared doves and woodpigeons are around all day too, the odd visit from a robin and blue tit and a much reduced number of goldfinches lately - just four or so feeding regularly now.

Seems a bit long for Blue Tit. Maybe the eggs are infertile.

CB

Yes, ridiculous long. She's still on them today and being fed caterpillars by the male. I'm guessing that they are first time breeders and are still learning the skills.

On a happier note, a family of Great Tits of have appeared, and I had to top the sunflower heart feeder up for the first time in a month.

Our family of great tits arrived this morning. There were 4 babies and they were stunning and really noisy. I think there might be another nest because our male has been just as busy with mouthfuls of suet, flying in and out like a yoyo.:t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back