• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Busy bird table

Hi guys
Been reading your posts for the last few days & thought I'd join in.
I'm not much of a birder but I set up feeders a few months ago (peanuts & fat balls) and I think I must have had most of the tits in the area (BT,GT & CT) up to 30 at a time but so far no LTTs so suggestions for attracting them gratefully received.
Put up a nyjer feeder last week & within 2 hours in come the goldfinches (I'm looking at 1 adult & 5 juvs at the moment all totally ignoring the tits 'n' greenfinches).
So far garden count stands at 24 inc. GSW that thinks its a BT & yesterday a chiffchaff.B :)

P.S. As I'm new to this, does the garden list include everything you see from it?

P.S. As I'm new to this, does the garden list include everything you see from it?

To be honest its up to you. After all nobody else has your garden. I always include birds seen from the garden as do many others but the choice is yours. Once you have decided how you want to record birds, you need to stick with it otherwise you won't be able to compare between different years.

CB

Back from a couple of weeks holiday, so just catching up on the thread...

Just had an acrobatic bi-plane over doing loop the loop stunts for the village show

That doesn't count!!!

Garden Life Bird No. 67 and 2011 Garden species - No. 55
Juvenile Hobby

After abit of advise and further scouring of the net and books I am certain that indeed it was a hobby being seen off by a dozen Swallows :t:

Very nice garden tick. Well done:t:

A first (and the most ever seen) for our garden.....one point there were 22 swallows on our phone wire this morning! |8.| :t:

Nice pic of the Swallows:eat:

a few more garden birds over the past few weeks

You'll get tired of the Magpies, Roger!

As said above, its your garden and its your list so you set the rules. Personally, I count everything I see in, from and over the house or garden. I don't count birds I've heard and not seen.

Onto my garden now...and after food not being out for 2 weeks, there is very little to report|:mad:| Just a few Blue Tits, a Coal Tit and a couple of Chaffinches. They'll all be back in time:t:

As for the holiday, it was in the Algarve and I managed a few lifers, with not too much effort...Azure-Winged Magpie, Red-Rumped Swallow (Apartment tick!), Avocet, Spoonbill, Black-Winged Stilt, White Stork, Greater Flamingo and Zitting Cisticola.

As for the holiday, it was in the Algarve and I managed a few lifers, with not too much effort...Azure-Winged Magpie, Red-Rumped Swallow (Apartment tick!), Avocet, Spoonbill, Black-Winged Stilt, White Stork, Greater Flamingo and Zitting Cisticola.[/QUOTE]

have read your report bongo of your holiday,very very informative for anybody that is going to the algarve,great news on the lifers :t::t:

A garden bird list should only be those birds within your garden boundaries and upto the height of your house.

that's a very official sounding load of nonsense.

you counts your list exactly as you want to count your list.

some people count only birds which have alighted within the recording area,

others count anything at all which can be seen and identified from the house through a scope at maximum magnification which can result in certain circumstances in a garden being around 25 miles accross.

Thanks for the input guys.
It would get a bit confusing as the my garden is a bit steep and the far end is already higher than my roof!
I'll go with what I can see, which means I can include the Tawny Owl in the trees at the back and I don't have to shout at the buzzard and hirudines to fly lower.
So make that 33 on the garden list.

Cheers B :)

Loony Tuesday

Been totally manic on the feeders today!
Yesterday I asked for advice on how to attract LTTs, today 4 of them turn up. Another first in the garden, a Nuthatch who's been to and fro all day.
The family of Goldfinches have been about most of the day and they seem to have told most of their mates!
GTs, BTs and CTs about 30+ most of the day, the Greenfinch family 6+, Robins, Dunnocks, several Warblers flitting in and out, Collared doves, Jackdaws, Magpies etc.
In fact ther have been so many about that at times I cant see the feeders and they seem to be queueing on the fence and in the bushes for their turn!

Do they know something we dont? B :)

A new juvenile Robin in this afternoon which was a nice surprise. Around 10 blue tits and 6 great tits. 6+ House Sparrow. The usual big number of greenfinches as well. Also had 5 Dunnock. Had a few bits lurking in the trees, but couldn't work them out, my binoculars have had to go for repair. Will have to stick with what is easy to see for a while :-O

Pretty good updates folks and thanks to roger we have some images too. I have been a little busy so the camera hasnt had an airing for a while.

After a few weeks of destocking the feeders I have just cleaned all the feeders out and re-stocked them so the numbers should be back up to the norm very soon although I did count 7 Dunnock and 4 Robin this morning.

More like, what are you doing that I'm not:-O Very good selection of birds you have.:t:

After yesterdays chaos, all change today just a few BTs & GTs a couple of Goldfinch juvs and a Woodpigeon but at least the Nuthatch has been back.
I think they must all have pigged out.
B :)

I've noticed an increase in the numbers of birds coming to my feeders. I had 3 Coal tits on the feeders today the first since before the summer. Ger.

Haven't had much time to watch lately, but the usual common ground-doves, there seems to be 3 mourning doves, one that comes in on its own, and a pair that doesn't get along with the individual. On a short walk today, saw and heard a white-eyed vireo and also a tri-colour heron which seems to be becoming more of a regular in the area when it wasn't before.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back