• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (17 Viewers)

Quick question: Dose everyone carry on feeding far balls in summer...I have heard don't. Noticed some of mine in the feeder have became very soft.

I put them out as long as they are getting eaten - last summer I couldn't put them out fast enough, but nothing was interested in them over the winter. They've been very popular again for the past three weeks, especially with the Long Tailed Tits. The feeders are very busy, with quite a lot of different birds visiting, including our 'tame' Robin.

Decided to get up early this morning and check out what's using the garden. Glad I did. Flock of Green Finches calling and singing in their machine-gun like manner. Usual Blue Tits and Great Tits plus Coal Tit (pretty regular in my garden). Whole bunch of Starlings.

And a new bird to my garden, a Brambling!

Worth getting up!

Congrats on the Brambling Alex!

CB

:h?: I was asking a genuine question as I was wondering if it was something I could participate in.

appologies :eek!:

I just keep my own counts and add them on here, others just put up daily activities, others just pop in and out as and when something unusual occurs or migrants arrive etc

Anyway now you have found us enjoy ;) we have contributers from all over the world.

2 Mallards over this afternoon and loads of Greenfinch otherwise suprisingly quiet.

I thought this morning I might have an Eastern Wood-Pewee near our yard. I heard what I took to be the "pee-oh-WEE" call of the EAWP. (Unfortunately, I did not get to see the bird.)

After, some advise from other area birders and some additional research in my bird library/internet/e-mails, I now think the bird I heard was probably European Starling.

* Another candidate mentioned to me was a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.

Looks like I am going to have to wait until May for the pewee!

appologies :eek!:

I just keep my own counts and add them on here, others just put up daily activities, others just pop in and out as and when something unusual occurs or migrants arrive etc

Anyway now you have found us enjoy ;) we have contributers from all over the world.

2 Mallards over this afternoon and loads of Greenfinch otherwise suprisingly quiet.

Its always a competition. Feel free to join in if you like but you don't have too.

CB

Okay fellas, in that case then how about if I put a running count of species on here and I'll keep photographs and info on 'birds in my garden' thread so as not to clutter this one up with loads of my photos etc. That was my thinking in starting a seperate thread last year, just courtesy really, I didn't want to come on as the new boy and overload what you already had. Sound reasonable? |=)|

Okay fellas, in that case then how about if I put a running count of species on here and I'll keep photographs and info on 'birds in my garden' thread so as not to clutter this one up with loads of my photos etc. That was my thinking in starting a seperate thread last year, just courtesy really, I didn't want to come on as the new boy and overload what you already had. Sound reasonable? |=)|

more images on here the better ..... fire away :t:

There is a 2012 garden(yard) thread also here - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=219218

CB

Quick question: Dose everyone carry on feeding far balls in summer...I have heard don't. Noticed some of mine in the feeder have became very soft.

Yes, I put them out all year round. In winter they freeze, in summer they go soft. Gotta love the British weather:-O They always get eaten by the time I get home from work so its not a problem.

2012 Garden Species No. 46
Cormorant

Nice one, BFB. Hope you had a good trip - great pic of the cat.:t:

Garden Mega this morning - pair of Red-legged Partridges flew past the window just before I set off for work.

Well done CB with the Partridges - great garden bird:t:

I was pleased to be woken up at 7 this morning (which makes a change from 5) by the singing Song Thrush, whose tree continues to survive Treegate. A pair of Bullfinches on the feeders along with 3 Blue Tits, 2 Coal Tits and a single Great Tit. Numbers of Chaffinch are really down this spring, but Starling numbers still in double figures.

Highlight of my day was a male Blackcap in the Hawthorn tree and Honeysuckle bush. I haven't had one here all winter so I can only presume it is an early arrival. In fact, I've never seen one here in Spring before so I'm hoping that they might breed nearby.

EDIT General consensus is that it is probably an over-wintering Blackcap relocating. Not my first migrant after all!

Last edited:
Had big rise in numbers of Blue Tit's!! Loads in and around the garden, Also been more Blackbirds than usual.

Within 15 minutes of putting out some Meal worms for the first time I already had the starlings fighting for them. Fat balls are going fast aswell. I'm sure by the end of today the Fat ball feeder will be empty.

have been hearing and seeing at least 2 chiffchaffs in my garden for the first time. great to know that they have returned. Also many chaffinches, greenfinches,tits and blackbirds have been demolishing the food. sadly the male blackcap i had in my garden seems to have gone.

Highlight of my day was a male Blackcap in the Hawthorn tree and Honeysuckle bush. I haven't had one here all winter so I can only presume it is an early arrival. In fact, I've never seen one here in Spring before so I'm hoping that they might breed nearby.

EDIT General consensus is that it is probably an over-wintering Blackcap relocating. Not my first migrant after all!

Your Blackcap probably wintered on the near continent as there has been a bit of an influx the last couple of days.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back